Search

CO: BKK riots not our problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:07 pm
JMR
Original Poster

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Thumbs down CO: BKK riots not our problem

The last time I tried to get to Bali (DPS) via Bangkok (BKK) I got stuck in Thailand for two weeks.

I had planned on getting to DPS through Singapore (SIN) this time, but the fates of travel saw me end up, again, with routing through BKK.

Come today to learn the Thai government has declared a state of emergency in BKK, that riots have broken out and that several other nations have advised their people to evacuate the country.

My flights are in a few days, and wishing to avoid getting stuck in BKK again, I called CO to see if anything can be done.

Their response: sure, just look at your change rules!

Me: how about waiving those change fees, or maybe just redepositing the award miles?

CO: Yea, well, we don't know anything officially about riots in Bangkok, so this really isn't our problem. Call back tomorrow, we appreciate your business.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They posted a travel waiver for BKK last time, IIRC. They might do it again, it just hasn't been setup yet.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by JMR
CO: Yea, well, we don't know anything officially about riots in Bangkok, so this really isn't our problem. Call back tomorrow, we appreciate your business.
Could be worse, you could be dealing with TG.

"Yes, we removed your flight from the system. But we won't actually cancel it until 48 hours before, thereby eliminating reaccommodation options."
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat National Executive Amtrak Select Plus
Originally Posted by channa
They posted a travel waiver for BKK last time, IIRC. They might do it again, it just hasn't been setup yet.
maybe they're waiting to see if they shut down both airports again.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:10 pm

Travelling abroad is a risk - heck, travelling domestically is a risk - you shouldn't expect the business to be responsible for an issue such as civil disruption.

Did you buy insurance? Perhaps it covers these types of issues.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Don'tGoThere
Travelling abroad is a risk - heck, travelling domestically is a risk - you shouldn't expect the business to be responsible for an issue such as civil disruption.

Except of course that other airlines such as BA, SQ and CX have issued travel warnings and have waived change fees for travel to BKK this week.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
While I agree that the agent could have picked more appropriate words, the agent is right. CO is not responsible for the riots. They are probably also slower than most to issue a travel waiver because of the much lower odds of a CO-ticketed passenger transiting BKK.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:13 pm
JMR
Original Poster

Programs: *wood, UA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Don'tGoThere

Yes, it is a risk - but who is in the best place to bear the risk?

My concern is not about legal rights and obligations, but of customer service, customer concern and good corporate policy.

At a time when several countries are instructing their citizens to evacuate Bangkok, when riots are going on in the streets, and memories of closed airports are fresh, I think it good customer service, concern and policy for CO to waive change fees.

It is consistent with the policies of other airlines and with its own actions in the past. Indeed, my thumbs-down is more because CO is tardy compared to others.

EWR-nrt-BKK is on CO and NW metal, but under CO marketing. (read: codeshare with NW).

I don't think it's a lot to ask for an airline to waive the mileage redeposit for customers who want to avoid burning buses.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
This same situation came up on the SQ Forum, SQ had not issued waiver until very early this AM because the Gov of Singapore issued a Travel Advisory.
The US has not issued anything , (last update was Feb 3rd) so the agents were probably not aware of the situation.
But
They should have at least told you that they would try to investigate the situation and try to help you.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
UA just issued a BKK waiver.

Don't see anything on CO or DL/NW yet, but it's probably coming soon.

I'd sit tight and wait a day if you can.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:47 pm

My experience with CX during the first airport closure in BKK...

A little off subject : I got stucked in BKK last Dec. CX, my carrier did not post any infos up front on their home page. They posted the evacuation flight infos on their press release page. I called and called in BKK. Finally I got through to be told that : NO. We don't take any reservation for the evacuation flight. And CX reservation lines were down exactly at 6PM on that weekend ( as normal ).
At Utapao, while in line to standby for the flight, I talked to the guy in front. They happened to be in Pattaya, so the hotel sent someone to the airport and that person managed to put those 2 guys on the list.
I was very lucky. I got stucked in BKK for only 1 day. Had to pay a cab fare to Utapao, had to pay one night hotel in CLK, my meals along the way.
And BTW, CX posted in their press release : Do not bring your baggages along. They might not have the facilities to load the flight. So we left our 4 suitcases in BKK with friends. And when the ordeal was over, CX would not accept our bags and transport them back to the US. Our friends in BKK had to
DHL those bags back to us.
And at Utapao, SQ had a business class line for their C class pax.
All in all...from what I could see at the event, SQ and CI ( yes, China Airlines ), they put more efforts in handling the stranded pax. Their tents were well marked...they had their agents out, with uniforms working the lines.
And the lame a** TG agents working the CX flight were so rude...snapping at the pax left and right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.