Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Elite benefits for non-Elite travel partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus GS

I will become a Silver Elite for the first time in a few weeks, and then Gold a few weeks later: after years of Gold Elite abuse at the mercy of KLM's inept hands: and had a question about my benefits.

My partner will not reach Elite status until later in the summer. If we travel on the same reservation/booking number will we both be able to enjoy my Elite Access benefits?

I care most about the following:

*seat reservation
*dedicated check in/security
*priority boarding

Thanx
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
As long as you are traveling together on the same PNR, your partner will be able to check in/board with you. Seats (I'm assuming you mean exit row can be chosen at the time you make the reservation for both of you).
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
As long as you are traveling together on the same PNR, your partner will be able to check in/board with you. Seats (I'm assuming you mean exit row can be chosen at the time you make the reservation for both of you).
This means that yall have to be together physically at the airport. Their record will not be documented to this effect. The reason I mention this is my parents were coming through security at IAH two weeks ago and got forced over to the regular line because I was talking to someone and was not present with them.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
Seats (I'm assuming you mean exit row can be chosen at the time you make the reservation for both of you).
I know Plats can do this, can Golds also ? I thought only Plats. either way as a Silver they would have to wait till T-24
Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I know Plats can do this, can Golds also ? I thought only Plats. either way as a Silver they would have to wait till T-24
Yes, Golds can too (speaking from experience)
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus GS
Originally Posted by Scott6067
This means that yall have to be together physically at the airport. Their record will not be documented to this effect. The reason I mention this is my parents were coming through security at IAH two weeks ago and got forced over to the regular line because I was talking to someone and was not present with them.
So I gather then that if we are on the same reservation we will both be marked Elite on our boarding passes and will be able to priority board, or do I have to tell the gate agent that we are traveling together and on the basis of my elite status we will be able to priority board together?

I never reserve exit rows, just somewhere in the preferred seating section is fine with us, as long as its a 764 at least.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by texas gold

I never reserve exit rows, just somewhere in the preferred seating section is fine with us, as long as its a 764 at least.
with the exception of the exit rows (or bulkhead rows) all the seats are the same. The so called preferred seating area is only closer to the main cabin door (entrance/exit)

at times since I was back in Y I actually received the beverage and meal service faster than those in front
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by texas gold
So I gather then that if we are on the same reservation we will both be marked Elite on our boarding passes and will be able to priority board, or do I have to tell the gate agent that we are traveling together and on the basis of my elite status we will be able to priority board together?

The non-elite BP will not be marked. But you are eligible to board together. I generally hand both BPs to the GA with the elite one on top in such a situation so that I don't have to go through a long explanation; seeing both together is usually enough.

Going forward you will probably want to make the reservations on a single PNR and then split them if you are trying for the EUA. Having them start together extends the free checked baggage benefit to the others in the PNR, too.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
The non-elite BP will not be marked. But you are eligible to board together. I generally hand both BPs to the GA with the elite one on top in such a situation so that I don't have to go through a long explanation; seeing both together is usually enough.

Going forward you will probably want to make the reservations on a single PNR and then split them if you are trying for the EUA. Having them start together extends the free checked baggage benefit to the others in the PNR, too.
Whenever I travel with my wife, who is non-Elite, and split the PNR, her BP still has "EliteAccess" on it.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Marriott
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Whenever I travel with my wife, who is non-Elite, and split the PNR, her BP still has "EliteAccess" on it.
I am travelling tomorrow and had called earlier in the week to split the PNR. No problem -- I got my EUA at the Plat mark, etc. Unfortunately, when I checked my wife in online today, her BP does not have Elite Access on it and co.com wanted to charge her for her checked bag. I suspect the reservation was not split properly...just something to be aware of. I'll take care of it tomorrow at the airport when I give them my bags.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM, AMEX Plat, Hertz 1, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Hartmann
My non-elite wife and I prefer to sit together. On the way out - we don't take the upgrade, but somehow in the middle of the trip, the PNR's get split - I get upgraded every time - and she's in the back, because her companion upgrade never clears..

Happens every time. I'm tired of it.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:16 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WBrinegar
My non-elite wife and I prefer to sit together. On the way out - we don't take the upgrade, but somehow in the middle of the trip, the PNR's get split - I get upgraded every time - and she's in the back, because her companion upgrade never clears..

Why not have your wife sit in your FC seat??
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Is there any benefit to splitting the record other than upgrades? If he doesn't want the upgrade and they want to sit together in the back, then there's no point in splitting, right?
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

You can set your reservation to turn off the EUA at co.com. You can also decline the request to upgrade at the checkin. In that case, your PNR should not be split.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Do you make sure that you turned off the Upgrade option for each flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.