Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Elite benefits for non-Elite travel partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite benefits for non-Elite travel partner

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by sbm12
Nope.

It is even harder in that CO doesn't like PNRs with passengers in different cabins so that would make it less likely since you're already upgraded. Any you're not calling to have him sit with you so I cannot imagine that CO would be too happy to waive the rule just so a friend of an elite can get a good seat.
Thank you. I didn't realize it was a "rule" (other than non-elites having to pay extra for ELR seats, that is). Since there were plenty of seats available in the Elite section, he may have ended up there eventually by default. I just wanted to make sure he didn't end up in a middle seat if it could possibly be avoided.
I called the Elite line and upgraded him with my miles on the outbound and got a seat assignment for him near me in Y (non-exit row, but in the Elite section) on the return.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The co.com website indicates that elite companions are exempt from the bag fee "as long as they are traveling in the same reservation". However, it has been documented here on FT that the official policy waives checked bag fees for elites who were originally booked in the same reservation, which was subsequently divided. There's even a "GG" code you can give the agent for him/her to look up the policy, it's probably listed in the FAQ thread.
The relevant section in the FAQ reads as such-
Passengers traveling on the same reservation as an Elite passenger are exempt from base fees for their first two checked bags. If a reservation is split to allow for thet upgrade of the elite passenger the companions on the split ticket are still eligible for the free baggage allowance. If the CSR challenges this the details can be reviewed in the DRS by reading the section GG BAG 2ND.
I'm platinum. Recently, on checking in online with a non elite companion, CO.com said we were entitled to 3 pieces of baggage each.

My question is does CO increase the non-elite companions allowance to match the elite companion's or do they just get 2 free pieces as implied in the forum FAQ?

Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kilo
My question is does CO increase the non-elite companions allowance to match the elite companion's or do they just get 2 free pieces as implied in the forum FAQ?

Thanks
You get what the elite is entitled to. If you are silver then the companion only gets 2x50#; gold or above is 3x70#. I will add this to the list of future updates to the FAQ for clarification.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
My mother who is a United Premier Associate (*S) is on the same reservation as my father (no status) traveling down to Mexico.
I know she can check 2 bags free, but can my father also check in 2 bags free as they are on the same PNR, originally booked together with no changes? or is the companion free 2nd bag only for onepass elites? (a bit confused as I see that Elites are (E capatalized and not sure if that means any * elite or onepass elite))

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.