Changes in AMS schedule post SkyTeam

Old Mar 19, 2009, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus GS
Changes in AMS schedule post SkyTeam

I have been playing around with CO's timetable for the fall and winter and as it stands now they are reducing the IAH-AMS to one flight a day with the 772. This change had already been discussed and will go into effect this spring.

What I thought was interesting was the reduction of EWR-AMS to just one 757 flight per day. I would have thought that AMS would have enough BF traffic for at least a 764 once a day?

So I suppose FRA will be their new Euro-hub as evident by the addition of the new nonstop IHA-FRA. So instead of routing everyone through on KLM to other euro-middle east-africa destinations CO customers will use LH through FRA. Now this does make sense, but still the reduction of EWR?

I am surprised to see this change. EWR is a huge market and AMS a popular EU destination. ANyone have specs on EWR-AMS traffic?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I thought there was always only one EWR-AMS flight a day. At least that is what it was last Friday. Maybe it is bumped to two during summer.

I do cheer the move from 764s to 752s. I can't stand the IFE on the 764s.

As for popularity, all the middle seats were not taken in rows 16-31 at least.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
I thought there was always only one EWR-AMS flight a day. At least that is what it was last Friday. Maybe it is bumped to two during summer.

I do cheer the move from 764s to 752s. I can't stand the IFE on the 764s.

As for popularity, all the middle seats were not taken in rows 16-31 at least.
Apparently CO 102 (with a 757) returns next week operating to AMS 5x/week. At the same time CO 70 moves from a 764 to a 762 and is now leaving a bit earlier. It seems that CO 70 will stay on the 762, as well. CO 102 drops off in September.

I think what is remarkable and what the thread starter perhaps also had in mind is that CO is losing all those NW/KLM flights EWR to AMS and yet is still keeping the frequency at 1 flight/day even after 28 October.

I've always thought AMS was overserved anyway EX-NYC. Others disagree, see this thread, post #24
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by texas gold
So I suppose FRA will be their new Euro-hub as evident by the addition of the new nonstop IHA-FRA.
That's too bad for CO flyers. I always liked Schipol. Especially the way that you could build in a long layover and easily spend the day in some interesting city like the Hague, Haarlem or Amsterdam. The Schengen KLM club was pretty good too.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CO EWR CPH
That's too bad for CO flyers. I always liked Schipol. Especially the way that you could build in a long layover and easily spend the day in some interesting city like the Hague, Haarlem or Amsterdam. The Schengen KLM club was pretty good too.
Agreed. And the brand-new non-Schengen KLM lounge was even better Absolutely huge, and a great selection of food & drinks.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I'm not terribly surprised that the drop off from EWR is greater than that from IAH. IAH-AMS consistently sees the front cabin packed due to oil traffic. Assuming the 772 deployed on the route is one of the AVOD models, CO will see a reduction of only 10BF seats per day on IAH-AMS (from 60 to 50).
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I'm not terribly surprised that the drop off from EWR is greater than that from IAH. IAH-AMS consistently sees the front cabin packed due to oil traffic. Assuming the 772 deployed on the route is one of the AVOD models, CO will see a reduction of only 10BF seats per day on IAH-AMS (from 60 to 50).
Is it due to oil traffic, or the fact that AMS acts as a good connection point from IAH, which has less non-stops to Europe than the NYC area? The Netherlands is a reasonably significant destination for oil traffic (Shell, etc) but not to that extent, I would have thought.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by star_world
Is it due to oil traffic, or the fact that AMS acts as a good connection point from IAH, which has less non-stops to Europe than the NYC area? The Netherlands is a reasonably significant destination for oil traffic (Shell, etc) but not to that extent, I would have thought.
It is due to Oil Traffic. One of the daily 767s from IAH is essentially always filled to capacity in BF (or at least the seats have been sold) due to a corporate contract with Shell. Shell's N. American Headquarters is located in Houston.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Sorry To Hear

Schipol is the easiest to connect to the trains

with a terrific array of possibilities and access

from within the main terminal (by escalator)

In Frankfurt you have to leave the terminal

and cross the drive lanes which is quite the

drag with your gear (especially in bad weather)
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: UA PP (47% MM), HH Gold, National Exec Elite
LOVE Schipol Airport! It's even fun to say Schipol.

Easiest customs clearance I've been through. No words were exchanged; stamped my passport and on my way.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:55 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by SpartanFlyer86
LOVE Schipol Airport! It's even fun to say Schipol.

Do you say [Skip-ol] or [Ship-ol] or [skeep-ol]

I normally hear it pronounced "skip-ol"

Off topic I know. back on topic,

What about KLM? I presume they are keeping a daily widebody and the privateair biz seat flight?

Ciao,
FH
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Do you say [Skip-ol] or [Ship-ol] or [skeep-ol]

I normally hear it pronounced "skip-ol"
It's "schkip" - "ol".
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:42 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by star_world
It's "schkip" - "ol".
Thanks. When I lived in Maastricht I always seemed to hear more of a hard "Skip" but the "schkip" seems more common around AMS.
I wasn't sure what should be the 'official' way.

Ciao,
FH
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:34 pm

As this alliance deal progresses, you would have to assume that our feed will transition from the current AMS/CDG, and into FRA and possibly MUC. The effect on the hubs would obviously mean less service in SkyTeam land, and more into *A land.

The KLM and Air France flights into EWR/IAH will stop bringing in connecting feed, and it will be interesting to see if they shift the size and frequency of service into CAL hubs.

The Lufthansa flights into EWR and IAH will start bringing in connectors, so there will be a change of service on that front as well.

Should be interesting to see the impact on the schedule, shift of iron, etc. We've been told we'll be seeing more flying into Germany, and would have to assume that would mean a proportioned reduction into AMS/CDG.

DRW
Old Mar 20, 2009, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus GS
It certainly makes sense to reduce the number of flights to SkyTeam hubs, and focus more on LH hubs in Germany for transfer traffic. The fact that IAH-AMS is a strong oil based route with full BF cabins is a given. KLM once had in addition to their 744 combi a 763 on the route, though the 763 was light in back so they opted for PrivatAir all C class instead. I believe CO will continue to do well on this route, at least in BF.

What still surprises me is the reduction of EWR to just one 757. I would have thought that there would be enough dead end traffic to justify a bigger bird daily or have some days in the week be served by the 757 twice.

Time will tell.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.