Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Offers Double EQM, Will Continental?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Well...this will get me easily requled for gold with no added travel needed this year...........now the question ......Go for plat?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:50 pm

So much for the know-it-all nay-sayers who were sure it wouldn't happen. Glad it did!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by yellow77
The gamble of getting only a 50% bonus on CO when you could always book on UA or AA and get a 100% bonus for sure. Many maintain elite status on more than one carrier (though maybe not in Micronesia...)
At a minimum you get 150% EQMs so there's no risk.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by CO 1E
That is the way I read it.
I am still not convinced. When you double something, you pretty much have to earn the single part of it.

Use that same 1,000mi flight example with a WESTNL fare bought on co.com, one usually earns 500 EQM plus 500 as a co.com bonus.

What uthornsgo say is that one will earn 2,000 EQM out of this flight. But that'd mean doubling both the originally earned part PLUS the bonus part.

Maybe that is the case, but until CO Insider clarifies it or someone posts actual experience, I have serious doubts.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
So much for the know-it-all nay-sayers who were sure it wouldn't happen. Glad it did!
We were hopeful that it wouldn't. No one said they were sure it wouldn't.
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
At a minimum you get 150% EQMs so there's no risk.
Sure there is. If you're doing a cpm calculation and you're off by a factor of 33% that is a financial risk that you take. If you plan a bunch of runs and don't actually meet your target that is a risk. It is not the same level of risk as playing russian roulette, but it is a risk.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:59 pm

I think all of the participating carriers are doubling only the base mileage--e.g., 1,000 miles in each direction=2,000 miles X 2 EQMs=4,000 EQMs. Disregard all the other add-ons, bonuses, etc when calculating the promotion EQMs. You still get other EQMs (if applicable) but not at the 2X rate. They are separate.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier, Onepass Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum, Marriott Silver
Although I will register for the offer, I say..

Old Mar 20, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by bigbird090
Although I will register for the offer, I say..

I think with all of the platinum status matches to CO plus this new promotion upgrades will be harder than ever.
I understand why they did this but it is a knee jerk reaction in response to the other airlines offers.
Not sure that it was well thought out.
I had not considered a status match to AA or Delta but???
Time will tell

Last edited by bruceba; Mar 20, 2009 at 1:24 pm Reason: add a bit
Old Mar 20, 2009, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Well...this will get me easily requled for gold with no added travel needed this year...........now the question ......Go for plat?
Do it. You'll need it, given that everyone is going to be Plat now.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sdm1130
CO matched!

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...omoCode=TB8M05

While it will be kind of nice, this also gets a huge from me. Do we really want more elites?
Oh crap

I love promos as much as the next guy, but with upgrades hard enough as it is, I am very unhappy about this. Most of today's Golds could move to Platinum later this, or next year. This will almost kill upgrades for Plats on most routes unless you buy B+ or try and guess how many other Plats are on your flight and choose your booking class accordingly.

There is no advantage to this - they way CO structured it, it's a free for all. Now if they said all published fares above 'W' class (encouraging incremental spend or buy-up), then I could see a potential revenue advantage.

Sorry CO - I think you made a big mistake here...but it's too late to do anything about it now
Old Mar 20, 2009, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Now that we know CO has matched, please continue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ed-co-com.html

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.