Wiki Posts
Search

AA Offers Double EQM, Will Continental?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I repeat: This has the potential to significantly increase the number of UA elites (at all levels) who will be competing with us come late October. As I mentioned in a previous thread, it appears that CO marketing is considering giving UA elites fully reciprocal upgrade benefits.

You do the math. We need this promo also.
We don't need the promo, and UA elites likely WON'T be getting 100% complimentary upgrades, as CO won't get them there.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Steph3n
We don't need the promo, and UA elites likely WON'T be getting 100% complimentary upgrades, as CO won't get them there.
I guess you missed this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l#post11396491
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not miss it, free upgrades to first class won't happen for UA, they will have to turn over something be it 500's CR-1's or SWUs there will be some compromise, CO won't jeopardize their entire elite structure to give free upgrades when none are given in exchange because UA doesn't give them free.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Don't assume UA's elite benefits will necessarily remain static, especially for top-tier elites.

CO's and UA's programs will be MUCH more closely aligned in, say, a year from now than they are today, and UA is currently the lone holdout among the legacies in terms of not extending unlimited upgrades to top-tier elites. It may not be practical or desirable for CO and UA to have full and unlimited upgrade reciprocity at all levels, but I would be downright shocked if CO Plats and UA 1Ks did not have unlimited domestic UGs on each other's flights by the end of the 2010 Elite year.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Don't assume UA's elite benefits will necessarily remain static, especially for top-tier elites.

CO's and UA's programs will be MUCH more closely aligned in, say, a year from now than they are today, and UA is currently the lone holdout among the legacies in terms of not extending unlimited upgrades to top-tier elites. It may not be practical or desirable for CO and UA to have full and unlimited upgrade reciprocity at all levels, but I would be downright shocked if CO Plats and UA 1Ks did not have unlimited domestic UGs on each other's flights by the end of the 2010 Elite year.
That would be just fine, and balanced. It is no reason for CO to do a DEQM promo.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:57 pm
Suspended

I guess there will be a lot more UA top-level elites competing for our FC seats. I think CO has to match, or we get shafted.
There won't be such competition no matter what UA does. The vast majority of UAers will continue to stick to UA for their domestic travels, and COers will do the same. And on transcons, well, upgrades are rare enough that no one should expect them.

These fears came up when CO and NW first partnered up, and proved largely unfounded.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:58 pm
Suspended

That would be just fine, and balanced. It is no reason for CO to do a DEQM promo.
I agree with you.

Neither AA nor UA will move CO for the time being on the Double EQM promo, IMHO -- certainly not on a systemwide basis, anyway. The airline to watch is Delta. If SkyMiles matches the AA/UA promo outright, OnePass will follow suit within hours.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:05 pm
Suspended

I agree with you.

Neither AA nor UA will move CO for the time being on the Double EQM promo, IMHO -- certainly not on a systemwide basis, anyway. The airline to watch is Delta. If SkyMiles matches the AA/UA promo outright, OnePass will follow suit within hours.
Yep but it boils back to what I said UA was DUMB for doing it system wide and not simply only those flights where AA flys into also. When WN has a sale UA doesnt lower its Intl fares only those where they and WN fly into.

If DL & CO have 1/2 a brain they would do a 2x only for those cities where either AA or UA fly into. Time will tell if they are smart or not.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
Yep but it boils back to what I said UA was DUMB for doing it system wide and not simply only those flights where AA flys into also. When WN has a sale UA doesnt lower its Intl fares only those where they and WN fly into.

If DL & CO have 1/2 a brain they would do a 2x only for those cities where either AA or UA fly into. Time will tell if they are smart or not.
Given that AA and UA (and most every legacy, really) are experiencing systemwide or near-systemwide declines in yields and traffic at the moment, a systemwide promotion seems appropriate.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Reciprocal Upgrades

I bet the upgrades with UA will work just like they do today with NW.

It'll be very interesting to see what CO does now that AA/UA are in the double EQM madness.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The airline to watch is Delta. If SkyMiles matches the AA/UA promo outright, OnePass will follow suit within hours.
Delta did it last year and CO didn't match. Do you think this year is all that much different?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
This Year is Different

Originally Posted by sbm12
Delta did it last year and CO didn't match. Do you think this year is all that much different?
I think if DL did it CO would follow because this year DL= DL+NW. And with the other carriers doing it, and DL being a healthy, formidable carrier to compete against, I think CO would need to do it... especially with booking down so low and business travel way down.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
There won't be such competition no matter what UA does. The vast majority of UAers will continue to stick to UA for their domestic travels, and COers will do the same. And on transcons, well, upgrades are rare enough that no one should expect them.

These fears came up when CO and NW first partnered up, and proved largely unfounded.
I'm based out of DEN, so I may have more to be worried about than most of the rest of you, eh?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
It's much different than last year by every objective measure.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:14 pm
Suspended

I'm based out of DEN, so I may have more to be worried about than most of the rest of you, eh?
I will concede that hub-to-partner hub and vv. flights are an exception to the "no worries" rule. But for the vast majority of existing CO and UA flyers, there is really nothing to worry about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.