AA Offers Double EQM, Will Continental?

Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:04 pm

My thought is that AA is trying to pull in incrementally more revenue from biz pax who have a choice in carriers or perhaps simply have not been flying as much. What seems silly is that they did not link it to higher revenue fares.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:17 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Actually if one wanted to pursue secondary stAAtus AA's running a triple bonus mile promo on BOS -- SFO/LAX/SAN routes to compete with VX.

In otherwords, as a base member, you'd be earning 200% eqms and 300% on top of the base rdm miles, on AA in this market on the cheap fares. If you're an elite you'd earn even more.

Insane...and not that bad a deal.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by J.Edward
I'd bet it would only take you two weeks to earn million-miler on AA that way. How 'bout it, J.Edwared -- are you up for the challenge?!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:53 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I'd bet it would only take you two weeks to earn million-miler on AA that way. How 'bout it, J.Edwared -- are you up for the challenge?!
Are you up for the financing?

Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Are you up for the financing?

That depends on how low the fares are
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:09 pm

Actually if one wanted to pursue secondary stAAtus AA's running a triple bonus mile promo on BOS -- SFO/LAX/SAN routes to compete with VX.

In otherwords, as a base member, you'd be earning 200% eqms and 300% on top of the base rdm miles, on AA in this market on the cheap fares. If you're an elite you'd earn even more.

It's rather tempting. If only I had the time for a decent chunk of MRs. Seems like there's little point of doing it unless you could at least get to Platinum.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
CO, Not gona do it.
UA, for sure.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
As predicted, United matched.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Some of you may not recall that CO did this right after 9-11 (when no one was flying, sort of like now). I flew two RTs DEN-LGW to make Plat for the first time. If it hadn't been for the 2X EQMs I wouldn't have made Plat and wouldn't have been in FC on every DEN-IAH flight for the next three years, which cemented my loyalty to CO. CO has made a profit off of me because of the 2X EQM promo, and gained revenue when they needed it most. Smart marketing move, at least in my case.
Same thing happened to me...I had a bunch of travel planned after 9/11 and I didn't cancel a single trip (6 RT's plus 2 Trans Atlantic). The 2x EQM promotion allowed me to earn Platinum for the first time. I agree Bonehead.

- HF
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MBM3
My thought is that AA is trying to pull in incrementally more revenue from biz pax who have a choice in carriers or perhaps simply have not been flying as much. What seems silly is that they did not link it to higher revenue fares.
My take is that AA wants to get the customers -- from discount economy to higher fare passengers in premium cabins -- to give AA as much cash as fast as possible right now because who knows how much cash those customers will have later in the year. [This factors in AA's reasonable expectation that at least the likes of UA would match it.]

AA, UA and US all have something of this sort of promotion going on right now.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:13 pm

I just registered for the UA promotion. At this point, I don't see how CO cannot do it, especially since their future close "partner" UA is doing it.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JetAway
At this point, I don't see how CO cannot do it,
Because they don't want to. They didn't last year when the other majors offered DEQM promos and they seem to have survived OK.

Originally Posted by JetAway
especially since their future close "partner" UA is doing it.
Completely irrelevant.

Until someone can show a coherent line of reasoning that suggests this type of program is going to generate sufficient additional revenue that they otherwise would not have realized I'm not seeing the value. I do not think the money is there at all, so grabbing for more of it now won't really work.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because they don't want to. They didn't last year when the other majors offered DEQM promos and they seem to have survived OK.

Completely irrelevant.

Until someone can show a coherent line of reasoning that suggests this type of program is going to generate sufficient additional revenue that they otherwise would not have realized I'm not seeing the value. I do not think the money is there at all, so grabbing for more of it now won't really work.
I guess there will be a lot more UA top-level elites competing for our FC seats. I think CO has to match, or we get shafted.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This type of program may very well help to front-end revenue. Or it may generate additional revenue in these two quarters that may not be there later this year if customers end up feeling more cash-strapped then than even now.

The question is: can anyone show a line of reasoning where this type of program doesn't bring in cash for the company sooner than later?

Getting the cash from the customers as soon as possible may be just what the airline(s) may be hoping to achieve from this type of promotion.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Until someone can show a coherent line of reasoning that suggests this type of program is going to generate sufficient additional revenue that they otherwise would not have realized I'm not seeing the value.
I can only speak for myself, but a Double (or Triple!) EQM promo would generate some additional revenue from me in the short-term. Due to changes in business and personal finances I'm cutting way back on travel. Both circumstances (personal + professional) will most likely only last through this calendar year, unless something catastrophic happens.

It's worth it to my personal comfort and sanity to remain top tier on CO (I'm now looking at reaching Gold). As of writing this post, I can't justify the out of pocket expenses in achieving this.

If CO would throw me a bone, I'd bite it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.