Interesting Upgrade Question

Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by farenthold
I get upgraded. It's my seat. I can give it to my wife if I like, or if I'm traveling alone the hot redhead in 12B in hopes of......
When Mrs Radonc1 and I travel, and I get the upgrade, but she doesn't, you can bet who is taking the walk up the aisle, if he knows whats good for him .
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: Continental One Pass, HHonors, Marriott
This happened to me on a EWR-SFO flight a few weeks back. Flight was full, but there was a battleground upgrade for one of a two person set. The were seated in 15C and 15D. The man and the women discussed it and they decided the man should go to FC. The man's aisle seat was reassigned. Then, the man decided it would be better if they sat together. He comes back to coach, and of course, his aisle seat is gone so he takes the middle seat next to his wife 15B and gives the upgrades the pleasently surprised man in it.

Only reason I noted was that I was number 2 on the upgrade list. I was next in line for the upgrade. I was in seat 14D, best seat for Y on a long flight, so I didn't bring up the matter the FA or GA, but i was curious what the official policy is. I have no problem giving an upgrade to a member of the party you are traveling, with, but a perfect stranger ??

By the way, when I looked back to them during the flight, I never saw the man and women talking to each other. Generally, they were asleep.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
I too have been the next on the EUA list when someone in front didn't get a companion upgrade and then gave it to whomever was sitting next to their other.

Did it bother me? Meh. I wish people would have told the GA "all or nothing" to avoid the situation, but at the end of the day I paid for a seat in Y and that's where I sat.

In my opinion, CO's companion upgrade system is pretty stupid.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by belynch
In my opinion, CO's companion upgrade system is pretty stupid.
+1 (see stats below)
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I concur on the companion upgrade comment. That is my biggest regret of moving from NW to CO. Maybe they can get it fixed and make it a much better system.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would certainly offer to give up my F seat to the GA so s/he could upgrade the next elite on the list, but ONLY if she could guarantee to seat me exactly where I wanted to sit in coach (i.e., next to my companion). I suspect most GA's wouldn't be willing to do this, as it would get way too complicated. How do you get the non-elite sitting next to my companion to take some other random seat? Well, it's easy if you offer him an F seat. Maybe if the #1 on the upgrade list is in a good exit row seat it wouldn't be too difficult, but you have to find a GA willing to go the extra steps. Otherwise, I think swapping on your own is fine when there isn't any other reasonable alternative.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.