Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Plunging EU fares - when to rebook my $$$ tix?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plunging EU fares - when to rebook my $$$ tix?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
...I also wonder where the $50 fee for reticketing within 30 days policy mentioned previously might appear in print?
Maybe someone should start a thread asking that question...I doubt that anyone in a position to answer that question definitively will look at this thread.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Funny....my upcoming trip SAT-IAH-CDG leaving 3/26 was $566 a/i when I bought it about 2 months ago, and just checked it again after reading this thread and it's $579.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:12 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Just be happy it's going down. My fare has settle into a price and not budged in weeks all the while the upgrade to F has skyrocketed to $10k rt. Before it was a splurge I was considering but wanted to make sure i had the funds in order - just in case- but at 10k I'll sit in the back of the bus. Maybe it'll come down - doubt it.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I'd been watching fares to Rome in July. They've dropped a little to $928 (and BF is only around $1900), but the return flight we wanted (the later one) was an extra $250. Also, there was no reward availibility on the days we wanted to go. Then yesterday, the later return flight dropped down to the same as the earlier one, and reward availibility increased. So obviously, the economy is having some effect.

The change fee on TATL fares is $400 so it would now take a significant drop in price to make it worth rebooking - unless there really is a 30 day rule. Can someone research that out?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:57 am

Thumbs up $50 rebook fee

Originally Posted by hughw
The change fee on TATL fares is $400 so it would now take a significant drop in price to make it worth rebooking - unless there really is a 30 day rule. Can someone research that out?
Called the Elite line last evening and the CSR, without any hesitation, said that if I wanted to rebook a TATL flight in the case of a fare drop, the fee would be only $50 if done within 30 days of the original purchase.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:18 am

Called the Elite line last evening and the CSR, without any hesitation, said that if I wanted to rebook a TATL flight in the case of a fare drop, the fee would be only $50 if done within 30 days of the original purchase.
Very interesting. So it does exist!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:34 pm

My girlfriend bought a AF ticket to CDG for $900...
Back then continental prices were similar, but now, while AF is still about 900, continental has plunged to $500...

Of course, they won't let you do the same thing with a ticket from a partner...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
What was your original fare class? If it was one of the more expensive fares, then, yes most likely the change fee could very possibly be only $50. If it was one of the very cheap fares---that same change fee could be anywhere from $200-400. As Plat, I recently booked EWR-LIS for $328 r/t for May travel, I was told at the time of booking that any changes would incur a change fee of $350, same with a $220 r/t EWR-DUB I booked last week for May travel.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by mauld
What was your original fare class? If it was one of the more expensive fares, then, yes most likely the change fee could very possibly be only $50. If it was one of the very cheap fares---that same change fee could be anywhere from $200-400. As Plat, I recently booked EWR-LIS for $328 r/t for May travel, I was told at the time of booking that any changes would incur a change fee of $350, same with a $220 r/t EWR-DUB I booked last week for May travel.
Now I'm confused. You are saying that change fees are variable based on fare class?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by elitefreak
Now I'm confused. You are saying that change fees are variable based on fare class?
Not based on fare class, necessarily, but the fare basis. Different fares (not fare class ) that the airlines file come with different advance purchase, minimum stay and change fees, etc... Some could have a $50 change fee.

I can attest to having re-priced a DISCOUNT economy ticket with a $250 change fee for only $50.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by mauld
Prior to deciding to purchase tickets on co.com I called the Elite line to see if it was true that there was only a $50 change fee for re-ticketing TATL tickets if the price dropped within 30 days. The agent immediately said yes and did not state that there were any fare class limitations. I did mention I had not seen this "policy" in print on the CO website, but she had no comment other than verbally assuring me.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Plat
I know this thread is originally for plunging EU fares, but I just wanted to add that this also worked for my PVG ticket, which I purchased in late Feb and has now dropped $160. My original fare classes were E (outbound) & L (inbound). After rebooking at the lower fare, my ticket is all booked in L.

Also, like worldwidetraveler, the CSR on the Elite line immediately offered the $50 change fee - no coaxing/hints necessary! I only stated that I wanted to "see what my options are, now that the fares have dropped". She checked the new fares, verified the fare drop, and offered the $50 change fee for the travel vouchers (which they mail to you). Couldn't have been easier.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by kt123
I know this thread is originally for plunging EU fares, but I just wanted to add that this also worked for my PVG ticket, which I purchased in late Feb and has now dropped $160. My original fare classes were E (outbound) & L (inbound). After rebooking at the lower fare, my ticket is all booked in L.

Also, like worldwidetraveler, the CSR on the Elite line immediately offered the $50 change fee - no coaxing/hints necessary! I only stated that I wanted to "see what my options are, now that the fares have dropped". She checked the new fares, verified the fare drop, and offered the $50 change fee for the travel vouchers (which they mail to you). Couldn't have been easier.
So you were under 30 days - that is consistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.