Wiki Posts
Search

DUB-EWR immigration?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
DUB-EWR immigration?

Just wondering if anyone knows whether the DUB-EWR flights clears US immigration in DUB or in EWR?

I know that not all of the ex-DUB flights to the US go through immigration before departing DUB.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Just wondering if anyone knows whether the DUB-EWR flights clears US immigration in DUB or in EWR?

I know that not all of the ex-DUB flights to the US go through immigration before departing DUB.
Which ones don't? Every commercial flight from DUB to the USA that I've ever seen clears immigration in Ireland. Customs is still cleared in the USA for now but that is supposed to change this summer for SNN and in 2010 for DUB.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Which ones don't?
Quite a few of the EI flights now.. the late evening JFK (EI109). as well as IAD and SFO and MCO.

Its due to the times that immigration in DUB is open, and a capacity issue i believe as well. As anyone who has seen the huge queues in DUB will know

Last edited by modularmayhem; Mar 2, 2009 at 11:32 am
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:29 am

Just did this last Monday .. everybody going to the US goes into the holding pen downstairs on the B-concourse to go through Immigration in DUB. Then it's pick up your bags and talk to the customs agent in EWR (PHL, etc.)
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:39 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by djm3
Just did this last Monday .. everybody going to the US goes into the holding pen downstairs on the B-concourse to go through Immigration in DUB. Then it's pick up your bags and talk to the customs agent in EWR (PHL, etc.)
DJM3, based upon your recent experience, how much time should I allow for an 8AM departure out of DUB? I've got the Monday morning flight in 2 weeks. Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by modularmayhem

Unless it's changed since July when I moved- CO 23 (the early 9:00am departure) pre-clears while the later CO 127 (10:55am) does not. I actually preferred the 10:55 for this reason as the pre-clear can get a bit hectic- especially during the summer- and they killed the un-advertised Business Class line because no one was using it (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that they weren't able to advertise it for some strange reason....)
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
DJM3, based upon your recent experience, how much time should I allow for an 8AM departure out of DUB? I've got the Monday morning flight in 2 weeks. Thanks!
Allow 50 minutes for boarding and 15-30 minutes for pre-clearance (depending on how busy it is).... so I'd say to be through security by 6:30ish. There's not much in the holding area once you pre-clear so you don't want to get there too early though!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
The last 2 times I flew on CO 127 (the later flight) it did not have pre-clearance. You can tell in advance by the gate number - if it's B3x (I think) then it boards downstairs from the preclearance area, Gates starting with B2x are upstairs.

It saves a huge amount of time in EWR by the way. I don't see why anyone would want to pick a flight on the basis that it skipped pre-clearance - this is effectively "dead" time for most people so I'd rather use that time to get US immig. out of the way. Much better than joining a huge queue after a 7 hour flight.

Earlier posters are correct about flights later in the day not using preclearance, because the facility is closed by then. This isn't the case for CO127 though, it must be capacity-related.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
It saves a huge amount of time in EWR by the way. I don't see why anyone would want to pick a flight on the basis that it skipped pre-clearance - this is effectively "dead" time for most people so I'd rather use that time to get US immig. out of the way. Much better than joining a huge queue after a 7 hour flight.
Personal preference I guess. I have a US passport so I have never actually had to queue in EWR (unless I've just been lucky)- and it's also "dead" time on arrival while waiting for baggage (which takes 15-30 min) so the "dead" time is there unless you do carry on only.

I personally like to be comfortable while waiting to board so would much rather hang out in the lounge (although it's not the nicest) up until right before boarding then stroll on the plane. So many times in Dublin I've had to stand in a line circling around the B concourse back past B27 just waiting to have the documents checked before going downstairs to immigration and then having to wait in another line for 30-40 minutes to clear immigration (which isn't separate US/Non-US btw so can take longer than normal). Standing in line for about an hour and sitting around in a confined area waiting to board is more frustrating to me than a few minutes in line on arrival while waiting for baggage.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by XUPhilly
Personal preference I guess. I have a US passport so I have never actually had to queue in EWR (unless I've just been lucky)- and it's also "dead" time on arrival while waiting for baggage (which takes 15-30 min) so the "dead" time is there unless you do carry on only.

I personally like to be comfortable while waiting to board so would much rather hang out in the lounge (although it's not the nicest) up until right before boarding then stroll on the plane. So many times in Dublin I've had to stand in a line circling around the B concourse back past B27 just waiting to have the documents checked before going downstairs to immigration and then having to wait in another line for 30-40 minutes to clear immigration (which isn't separate US/Non-US btw so can take longer than normal). Standing in line for about an hour and sitting around in a confined area waiting to board is more frustrating to me than a few minutes in line on arrival while waiting for baggage.
we left from B-22 today on the 127 and no preclearnace. Yet announcements were being made for those on EI to JFK using I believe it was B-33 that they needed to preclear.

We came into Term B. and talk aboout having to Waste my time. I cant understand why INS doesnt have 3 areas, #1-US Passport Holders ONLY, #2- those with Green Cards etc that still need to be photographed and fingerprinted and #3- Foreigners.

Having to wait and wait due to the pic being taken and fingerprinting and usually something goes wrong so they have to redo it, can be removed by simply having Lines for those with US Passports, no pics or fingerprinting and the lines will move much faster
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, HHonors Diamond, Virgin Gold, BA Gold, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by craz
we left from B-22 today on the 127 and no preclearnace. Yet announcements were being made for those on EI to JFK using I believe it was B-33 that they needed to preclear.

We came into Term B. and talk aboout having to Waste my time. I cant understand why INS doesnt have 3 areas, #1-US Passport Holders ONLY, #2- those with Green Cards etc that still need to be photographed and fingerprinted and #3- Foreigners.

Having to wait and wait due to the pic being taken and fingerprinting and usually something goes wrong so they have to redo it, can be removed by simply having Lines for those with US Passports, no pics or fingerprinting and the lines will move much faster
And if that happens, lets make sure that EU countries reciprocate back and insist that all US passport holders have to wait in EWR Termoinal B style interminably long lines for an interview with a surly and rude immigration official, I mean it's only fair. And BTW when you are Ireland, it is USA citizens that are foreigners, but that does tend to slip your mind doesn't it?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:51 am

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craz

+1, I never understood why there isn't 3 lines.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: United MilePlus
dub-ewr

I went through last week and was told the early flight clears the later does not. (as stated by other posters) The line to the lower gates does not open until 7:30 on the button. The agents sit there staring at the people who get in line earlier but don't touch the documents until they get the signal from below. I was 3rd or 4th in line - and though the wait till they opened was not fun (late night) - it definitely got me through the next line faster.
If you are not traveling first class give your self 2 hours to get through, more if you want to shop. that is one busy airport in the AM!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Getting through the pre-clearance line at DUB took me 45 minutes about 3 weeks ago. This was after about 10 minutes in another line to get my customs form checked.

Give yourself plenty of time. As previously noted, it is a busy little airport especially in the morning.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bos2gla
And if that happens, lets make sure that EU countries reciprocate back and insist that all US passport holders have to wait in EWR Termoinal B style interminably long lines for an interview with a surly and rude immigration official, I mean it's only fair. And BTW when you are Ireland, it is USA citizens that are foreigners, but that does tend to slip your mind doesn't it?
Well Im not attacking the Irish heck LH and BA flights were landing when my did, besides mine there were 5 other CO flights coming in.

2- When I arrived in DUB I had to go thru the non-UK & EU line as I had to do in CDG etc etc. I have no problems with that

3- my contention is Only with those who have Green Cards and havent arrived back into the US since the INS insituted the pic and finger printing. A person on a US Passport isnt fingerprinted or has their pic taken. thusly by lumping all US passport holders and Green Card people together it takes much longer for a US Passport holder to get thru the line. By separating into say a line for Passport Holders and those with Green Cards it will allow a speedy process for the Passport holders. Before the pic and fingerprinting was institued only on a very rare occasion was the line held up by a Green Card holder, this isnt the case today.

Heck when I did my pic and fingerprinting for my Clear card the guy told me its max a 5 min thing it took well over 15 mins as they had to keep retaking my pic and my finger prints! Now muliply that by 10s of people at Passport control and you can potentially miss a contection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.