Group stuck on tour bus

 

Old Feb 7, 09, 7:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 4,028
Group stuck on tour bus

LOL, the tour bus driver from the Marriott IAH got seriouly lost trying to take us to the hangar event tonight. About 20 of us got a nice long tour of N Houston
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 8:08 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Posts: 7,251
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
LOL, the tour bus driver from the Marriott IAH got seriouly lost trying to take us to the hangar event tonight. About 20 of us got a nice long tour of N Houston
coachrowsey is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 8:20 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: CLT
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Posts: 13,512
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Holy crap am I glad I drove.
Mackieman is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 11:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA 1K .99 MM ; Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K
Posts: 6,180
It's better than getting stuck on an elevator for an hour, like one of the Headquarters Tour groups. But at least they got some miles out of the deal!
SS255 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 09, 11:53 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ACT/GRK/DAL/ABI/MIA/FLL
Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Posts: 23,478
?? Thisd was one of the CO scheduled shuttles or a Marriott operated?
Steph3n is offline  
Old Feb 8, 09, 8:06 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 4,028
Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
?? Thisd was one of the CO scheduled shuttles or a Marriott operated?
Yes it sure was one of the CO scheduled busses. It was the driver's first trip from the hotel to the hangar. Turns out it really shouldn't have been more than about a 5 minute trip.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 09, 8:10 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ACT/GRK/DAL/ABI/MIA/FLL
Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Posts: 23,478
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Yes it sure was one of the CO scheduled busses. It was the driver's first trip from the hotel to the hangar. Turns out it really shouldn't have been more than about a 5 minute trip.
right, the Marriott was the close hotel(from the hangar event, and inflight/maintenance/chealsea) It didn't take long to drop people off there last night.

incredible that the driver would get lost
Steph3n is offline  
Old Feb 8, 09, 10:39 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BNA (but WAS native)
Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, HH/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 23,816
The occupants of that bus (especially row 1) should have been saying "the hangars are out east - pretend you're going to 59".
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 09, 11:24 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York City
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Gold
Posts: 101
LOL ... yeah, I was on that tour of the backside of IAH. I was immersed in a conversation with my seatmate when someone yell out "Where the hell are you taking us???". At that point I looked out to see that we were in the middle of nowhere. Oh well, we did make it in time for the festivities and I had a great conversation.
BigAppleCoder is offline  
Old Feb 8, 09, 12:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Posts: 1,334
I am the one who fired up the GPS and shouted the directions to the driver--thanks go to those who relayed my instructions........at least we got there.....
Art234 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 09, 10:53 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA 1K .99 MM ; Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott fake Gold via UA 1K
Posts: 6,180
Originally Posted by Art234 View Post
I am the one who fired up the GPS and shouted the directions to the driver--thanks go to those who relayed my instructions........at least we got there.....
I wondered why you showed up so late!
SS255 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 09, 11:20 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ACT/GRK/DAL/ABI/MIA/FLL
Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Posts: 23,478
I am laughing again about this one still hilarious!
Steph3n is offline  
Old Feb 9, 09, 9:11 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York / Hawaii
Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,958
Bus driver?

Huge to CO for taking care of our ground transportation. It saved time and money and I am very thankful!

But maybe it was just the luck of the draw with the buses I had, but wouldn't it make sense to have drivers familiar with the area and have experience driving a bus? On one trip, I thought I was on a demolition derby (we hit trees, brushed cars, jumped curbs, took out a sign, etc.) and on another, the driver managed to get us lost within the grounds of IAH...not just once, but twice.
Weatherboy is offline  
Old Feb 9, 09, 9:14 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ACT/GRK/DAL/ABI/MIA/FLL
Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Posts: 23,478
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
Huge to CO for taking care of our ground transportation. It saved time and money and I am very thankful!

But maybe it was just the luck of the draw with the buses I had, but wouldn't it make sense to have drivers familiar with the area and have experience driving a bus? On one trip, I thought I was on a demolition derby (we hit trees, brushed cars, jumped curbs, took out a sign, etc.) and on another, the driver managed to get us lost within the grounds of IAH...not just once, but twice.
WOW! Sounds like you got the best of the worst. I had good drivers on my bus each time, in fact the hangar was to tight for them to turn in and drop us off, so he backed all the way in perfectly.
Steph3n is offline  
Old Feb 9, 09, 12:21 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFO T-3
Programs: PWP Sergeant-at-Arms of The Red Watch
Posts: 7,427
One of my jobs was to assist with loading the buses to the Hangar Party. I got on the last big bus (at around 7ish) and then I got off to use the hotel bathroom. Imagine my surprise when I returned to the front of the hotel to watch my bus depart without me! Pay backs are a b!tch....gate agent left behind by customers.
sfogate is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread