Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st Class idiot

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
1st Class idiot

Okay, to start, the idiot was me. I am quite embarrassed. This is just a little tale of meeting someone on a plane, something we all do. But my meeting was memorable. Amusing to some. But when I told my hubby the whole story he just kept shaking his head. "You did NOT say THAT!" he roared, half mortified, half amused.

First, let me state that I do not follow sports, not now, not ever. If I had to match faces with names of people who play sports, I could identify Tiger Woods, OJ Simpson (for obvious reasons) or that soccer guy married to a Spice Girl, but no one from football, basketball, baseball, racing, etc. I am oblivious.

Oblivious. Never more so when, about 3 weeks ago I flew from DTW to EWR enroute to LAS. (Yeah, I know. Houston is the logical connection, but with CLE out of the game for now, there are more and more "detours" to Newark for Detroit CO customers. IAH was on my route on my return journey.)

Anyway, I was happy that I hadn't pulled one of the ERJ flights and sat reading in my favorite seat (2A) as people boarded. I was a bit worried about making my connection due to the weather and problems with air traffic control, and nervously glanced around as a tall, nice-looking man sat down next to me. He was on his phone, and rarely looked up except to say hello to a few people (I thought they were his friends- he had an awful lot of friends!) as they boarded. One lady spoke to him and he kindly commented on how beautiful her little girl was. I didn't hear what she'd said, but again, I thought she knew him.

As we waited, the man next to me made a lot of calls, I couldn't help but notice. When we were told that it was time to put away our phones, the man turned to me to say hello. We talked a bit about the snow and the possibility of a delay. I asked if he had a connection and he replied, with a funny smile that his destination was New York. I love NYC and talked about it for awhile- my love of theater and the city, etc. I told him about a special trip I made one year to attend (as an audience member) the Tony Awards. He asked me if I went to "the games" when in NY.
"Oh, no!" I laughed. "I hate sports!" (Smart, Jen, real classy.)
He looked quite amused. I went on to tell him that I'd had a double major in college and that one was Theater Arts. He asked where I'd attended school and I gave him the name of the university. Politely I asked him where HE had attended college. "Georgia Tech." I'd heard of it. I asked what his major had been. He looked at me like I was a little green being from Mars. "Basketball," was his reply, laughing.
"Now you're pulling my leg! You can't MAJOR in Basketball!" I declared.
At this point, a big man across from us looked over the aisle at me with a look that said "Shut up now, you silly girl!" He'd been looking at my seat mate with interest since we'd all boarded.
My new pal seemed quite amused with me and just cocked his head as if to say "Guess!"
I asked him if he still played basketball, and he nodded. I asked what he did now, "for a living", I added. He repeated, "Basketball."
"Are you still in school?" I was confused. I thought maybe he had changed schools and now played basketball for a NY school. He laughed and shook his head.
"Okay, what team do you play for?' I asked, thinking he was kidding me.
"The Knicks."
Now, the man across from us was practically having convulsions- he and his seat mate were laughing like crazy.
Okay- I am not THAT dumb. I know who the Knicks are. Well, I knew the name of the team. I wasn't sure they were from NY though.
The pilot came on to tell us we were delayed, possibly for 4 hours. I was in NO mood for that. My connection wasn't a close one, but 4 hours would definitely put me in Newark overnight. I'd taken a night flight on purpose and now I was sure that I'd made a huge mistake. We were allowed to use phones again and the man called a lot of people. I tried not to listen but when you're trying to read and all you hear is a one-sided conversation, it's kind of hard to concentrate. And from just a few sentences, I gathered that he was not pulling my leg. Coaches, and a matter I overheard that I don't think I should repeat since it was HIS business, made me realize that I was, indeed, sitting next to a celebrity of sorts. He wasn't a household name as far as I was concerned, but my hubby knew of him. And many of the passengers did, too.

After the pilot's welcome announcement that we were in line for take-off and would NOT be 4 hours late, we all put away our cell phones and the young man properly introduced himself. Stephon. Stephon Marbury. I didn't know the last name until my hubby looked up the first name online, with the facts I'd remembered about where he'd gone to school. He'd never given me his last name, just his first as anyone on a plane might. And he didn't make me feel as if I'd offended him.

Still, did I feel like an idiot! Not for not knowing his name- after all, sports, as I have mentioned- NOT my thing. But with all the hints he gave me, plus his physical bearing (that of an athlete) he could've made it uncomfortable. But he didn't. He was sweet. And THAT made it so much easier to feel like an idiot!

Now I know that most people couldn't spot a basketball player right off, and I'm sure that there are people who wouldn't even have pursued the questions. But I do know a bit more about sitting next to very tall men headed to New York who are stopped by other passengers just to say hi.

And so, when I head to San Francisco on Friday, I'll be ready for anything. I mean, I'll be less stupid. And I'll remember that I can look up details on my Blackberry before take-off. But just in case, any sports teams in San Francisco that I should know about?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:13 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Oh my god, my classmate and I are having good fun at school (in Germany) reading that story. The same could have happened to me, I don't know most of the celebreties (especially sports) either.

I think you made his day without putting him off. He is used to every idiot telling him how great he is, how much they admire him and all the nonsense (I mean he does a good job in a known job, millions do a great job in a more anonym job and knowbody cares).

So don't feel sorry, you did great!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thanks Phil!
I had to post it because my hubby repeated it at a Superbowl party and I was able to see it IS amusing. When I think of that trip, especially the flights, I COULD remember the bad parts, but what I recall most is that kind man and how funny it all was. Well- in hindsight it's quite funny. As my hubby pointed out, it's also funny because it could easily happen again. Thank goodness that kind man took it all in stride and had a sense of humor. And it's certainly something I won't ever forget, LOL!!!!!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:59 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Could easily have happened to me as well. Good that I do not fly 1st so much. ;-)
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Don't feel so bad. I've never heard of him either.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Red face

Two times I had something similar happen to me, but I think I had more cause to be embarrassed...

A couple months ago I was having lunch in the Rockefeller Club / Rainbow Room with a colleague and I could've sworn that I knew the guy behind me in line at the lunch buffet. "Hey, I'm sorry but did we meet at the XXXXXX event this morning? I feel like I know you from somewhere." "Yeah. I used to be governor of New York" "Oh... Sorry." "Yeah, me too." It was Eliot Spitzer.

The other time was about 9 years ago when I was living in South Korea. My friend HoonAh asked me to come along with her and her boyfriend to go out for the night and one of her friends from highschool was coming along as well (a girl). When we were hanging out after introductions, I asked her what she did "I'm an actress." "That's nice. Like in what? Plays? Or are you still studying?" "In a lot of things." (then she got in kind of a ***chy mood) Later, my friend told me that it was Kim Hee-Son / Kim Hee-Seon who was not only really, really, really famous actress and Miss Korea, but also going through a bit of a scandal involving some unsavory photos and videos. I explained that I really never watched Korean TV or movies. Oops.

I think that most celebrities like it when people treat them like a normal person. It must be refreshing. Some have egos that need to be stroked, but it's even more fun to claim indifferent ignorance to them, IMHO...

peace,
~Ben~
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Awesome story!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the chuckle this morning; I needed it and it is not even 9am yet!
You did just fine.....these celebs just want to be normal people ya know so im sure he did not think any less of you.....
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Why feel bad? I know who Starbury is, but probably wouldn't recognize him unless he was in uniform.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Pretty funny
on a side note
I gave my Marbury Knicks Jersey away a few years ago.
He has great individual talent , and as a person he has done some great things , including creating and endorsing a basketball sneaker sold for $20 instead of Nike's $140,
but every team he has ever played for has gotten better after he left

He is not active on the Knicks roster anymore ,but he is still under contract. The new coach refused to play him because he does not fit the system implemented.
They can't release him because they would still have to pay him and then he is free to sign with another team (possibly the Celtics and compete against the Knicks)

Last edited by rolov; Feb 4, 2009 at 7:10 am
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: MR Plat; CO Plat; GP Plat
most people that are knicks fans wouldn't know him either. he's been a permanent bench warmer all season and made some pretty moronic decisions. he'll be traded eventually and fall of the map.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chemten
most people that are knicks fans wouldn't know him either. he's been a permanent bench warmer all season and made some pretty moronic decisions. he'll be traded eventually and fall of the map.
real Knicks fans would 100% know who he was .
He was suppossed to be the savior when he came to NY .
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Amusing story to the OP.

I have a similar story that I think I've told this story on FT before. I was on the DCA - LGA US shuttle a few years ago and was sitting on the aisle. A large (well built) African American gentleman in a nice suit sits down next to me. During boarding several people shake his hand and a couple asked for autographs. I tried to figure out who he was and strained to read his signature but I couldn't make it out.

After boarding finished he apologized that so many people were reaching over me and I told him not to worry about it, that I was sure it was more of an ongoing inconvenience for him. I went back to reading my magazine and we didn't talk for the next few minutes.

Finally the FA asked for his autograph (which I'm guessing they're not supposed to do) and he happily obliged. After he was done talking with her he asked if I wanted his autograph and I told him "no thanks, I respect your privacy" and although I appreciated the offer, there was no need.

He was shocked by my reply and he said "oh, you must work with famous people?"

And I said "no, not really. I'm just me."

He started asking who I was and what I did and we carried on a small conversation about our travel habits, etc. I'd like to think I left a greater impression on this gentleman than anyone else he'd come across in some time.

And no, I have no freaking clue who he is and it kills me. And yes, I watch a whole lot of sports...
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belynch
Amusing story to the OP.

I have a similar story that I think I've told this story on FT before. I was on the DCA - LGA US shuttle a few years ago and was sitting on the aisle. A large (well built) African American gentleman in a nice suit sits down next to me. During boarding several people shake his hand and a couple asked for autographs. I tried to figure out who he was and strained to read his signature but I couldn't make it out.

After boarding finished he apologized that so many people were reaching over me and I told him not to worry about it, that I was sure it was more of an ongoing inconvenience for him. I went back to reading my magazine and we didn't talk for the next few minutes.

Finally the FA asked for his autograph (which I'm guessing they're not supposed to do) and he happily obliged. After he was done talking with her he asked if I wanted his autograph and I told him "no thanks, I respect your privacy" and although I appreciated the offer, there was no need.

He was shocked by my reply and he said "oh, you must work with famous people?"

And I said "no, not really. I'm just me."

He started asking who I was and what I did and we carried on a small conversation about our travel habits, etc. I'd like to think I left a greater impression on this gentleman than anyone else he'd come across in some time.

And no, I have no freaking clue who he is and it kills me. And yes, I watch a whole lot of sports...
I was D Wade , He is in my T-mobile Favorite 5 and he mentioned he met you
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by rolov
real Knicks fans would 100% know who he was .
He was suppossed to be the savior when he came to NY .
I could care less about the Knicks and I've heard of him. Maybe it was from when he was at Tech. I find the OP's comments about Georgia Tech humorous. Georgia Tech is a major school. Who hasn't heard of it? If the OP hadn't heard of Tech either then I wonder what Mr. Marbury would have thought. Whether you can major in Basketball, I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.