Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Throw Us Platinums a Bone!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
Throw Us Platinums a Bone!!

CO should bring back the Platinum Elite only benefit to exit rows; especially on Expressjet.

I fly my share of CO Express and I find it very hard to see what differentiates a Platinum Elite from a Gold Elite. Exit rows are almost always now taken weeks in advance. (as opposed to when Platinum’s had exclusivity to exit rows.)

Am I the only Platinum Elite that’s frustrated by this?

Last edited by Facevalue; Feb 6, 2009 at 1:45 pm
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by Facevalue
CO should bring back the Platinum Elite only benefit to exit rows; especially on Expressjet.

I fly my share of CO Express and I find it very hard to see what differentiates a Platinum Elite from a Gold Elite. Exit rows are almost always now taken weeks in advance. (as opposed to when Platinum’s had exclusivity to exit rows.)

Am I the only Platinum Elite that’s frustrated by this? Has anyone found a viable alternative to Expressjet. I know WN flies mainline jets to a lot of routes. Is anyone now just flying to the Gold Elite status and then gaining status on other airlines?
I've never had much of an issue with this...maybe it's the routes I fly. I agree that the lines are blurred between Plat and Gold, save the $150 switch fee and obviously higher priority for upgrades.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

I fly my share of CO Express and I find it very hard to see what differentiates a Platinum Elite from a Gold Elite. Exit rows are almost always now taken weeks in advance. (as opposed to when Platinum?s had exclusivity to exit rows.)

Am I the only Platinum Elite that?s frustrated by this? Has anyone found a viable alternative to Expressjet. I know WN flies mainline jets to a lot of routes. Is anyone now just flying to the Gold Elite status and then gaining status on other airlines?
I'm having trouble agreeing with your complaint. Do all plats book short notice and golds all book in advance? I've had more than a few times when I booked the day before the flight and the exit rows were still available so maybe you just had some bad luck or fly elite heavy routes?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: -UA 1K-Hilton Diamond-
DISAGREE 1OO%- Book Early

Best Regards,

CO GOLD
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'm having trouble agreeing with your complaint. Do all plats book short notice and golds all book in advance? I've had more than a few times when I booked the day before the flight and the exit rows were still available so maybe you just had some bad luck or fly elite heavy routes?
Same here. I have not failed in get an exit row in over 35 RJ segments last year and 4 this year. Didn't matter if I booked 4 months out or 2 days out.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by TommyC80
I've never had much of an issue with this...maybe it's the routes I fly. I agree that the lines are blurred between Plat and Gold, save the $150 switch fee and obviously higher priority for upgrades.
What $150 switch fee do Platinums not have to pay?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
I don't expect golds to agree of course. Maybe iAH is a tough route, but there is no advantage between Plat and Gold on Expressjet.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't expect golds to agree of course. Maybe iAH is a tough route, but there is no advantage between Plat and Gold on Expressjet.
I'm a plat and I disagree. Chaning the program to make gold level benefits non-competitive with all other airlines is not the solution.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
I agree with the complaint. Impossible to get an exit row aisle when booking less than a month out SFO-EWR-SFO.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)
Originally Posted by speedster1978
What $150 switch fee do Platinums not have to pay?
I believe the poster is referring to the reward re-deposit fee that's waived for Plats.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I honestly cannot remember the last time I sat in a non emergency exit row in Y, and I never book tickets more than 2 weeks out. I say keep it as is.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:48 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by yonajon
I agree with the complaint. Impossible to get an exit row aisle when booking less than a month out SFO-EWR-SFO.
Dang!
Sorry to hear that they're flying Kenjets cross country. Things must really be getting tough at CO .

I put mucho time into the little beasts and have yet to be unhappy at my exit row seat selection (either 12A or B on the 145) no matter when I book the flight. BTW, they are usually close to full as well.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:16 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
(a silver meekly raises his hand)

In my limited ERJ experience (4 ExpressJet total), I was able to get exit seats (i.e. 12A) 3 times out of 4 at OLCI (I think).

I've had similar success on mainline A/C (14A/C on the 733/735), but that's aided by plats and golds getting pulled out of exit seats into F.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by GoGiants
I believe the poster is referring to the reward re-deposit fee that's waived for Plats.
Yes, I probably could have been more specific, but that is what I was referring to.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by yonajon
book inside that month and you might be lucky to get a seat at all
Or could take your pick from 19, 20, 26 B or 27,33,17 E

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.