Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumor] CO To Sell FC Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
When I first started going through this thread I yawned and thought who cares. CO has a very transparent EUA system and they are very good about handling situations where things don't go properly. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt before my knee jerks so far I kick myself in the face.

My question, however, relates to companion upgrades. Under CO's current (in my opinion terrible) companion upgrade process it seems that all the kiosk buy-ups will go ahead of companion upgrades. I've always thought CO's companion upgrade system was wonky, but they might as well just get rid of the program entirely with this latest change.

Bah humbug.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
If they were to sell upgrades AFTER elite upgrades, there should be no problem. Why let empties go out in first class... If I was non elite, I would love it.
That's exactly what they said though.

Originally Posted by coairtul
The system will take into account all Elites waiting for upgrades before offering Day of departure Upgrades to other customers.
o For example if there are 6 open first class seats on a flight and there are 5
Elite members that have not been upgraded, we will only offer 1 seat to be
sold during check-in.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by JetAway
If you're a Silver or even a Gold and never/rarely get upgraded, being able to "Buy-Up" (possibly at a discount over non-Elites) could be attractive. It might be the only chance to ever sit up front.
Why pay for something when it is a benefit you are entitled if available under the current system?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Will this only work at the kiosks? What about OLCI at 24 hours? I almost never go to a kiosk.
OLCI eventually, but kiosks only for now.
Originally Posted by belynch
My question, however, relates to companion upgrades. Under CO's current (in my opinion terrible) companion upgrade process it seems that all the kiosk buy-ups will go ahead of companion upgrades. I've always thought CO's companion upgrade system was wonky, but they might as well just get rid of the program entirely with this latest change.
I agree that this benefit is the most likely to suffer, though I am not sure it is the companion who will get hosed. Say there are 6 empties up front and 5 elites in the queue for upgrades, 3 platinums and 2 golds. CO's systems will open up R inventory and sell one seat up front to a non-elite based on this algorithm that says all 5 elites will get upgraded anyways. But what happens when one of those platinums shows up with a companion? The non-elite has already paid into the F cabin and now one of the golds is number 6 in line for only 5 seats. That would suck.

I have no problems with CO trying to extract the tiny bit of incremental revenue out of the F seats that are flying empty, but I think that there are a few gotchas in the scheme right now.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: UA, AA
Even if they think their math is sound, based on how I interpret this it still could result in elites sitting in the back while buyups are up front. Consider the following two scenarios:

1) 5 elites eligible for upgrade, 6 available seats. They sell one of these FC upgrades with a confirmed seat assignment, leaving 5 elites for 5 seats. At the T-1 mark, a Plat elite adds a companion, which slides in ahead of the silver that was #5 on the list. The silver who was #5 does not get the battlefield upgrade, while there is a buyup up front

2) Same scenario, but instead of a companion upgrade, they sell a few revenue seats at the last minute. Again, a buyup was confirmed up front at check-in when they thought they had fewer elites than seats, but now because of revenue sales the bottom elites on the list do not clear at the gate.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
I am guessing this could be a situation that non-Elites on Y or B could pay $50 each way and do instant upgrade. I found out that this was a hidden feature a few years back.

That means Elites on Y/B get it for free, non-Elites pay $50 each way. CO values the Elite upgrade at $50.

If so - what is the point - just sell FC seats at B prices.
non-elites on a Y ticket already get an upgrade to FC when available and after all elites have been upgraded.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by sbm12
I have no problems with CO trying to extract the tiny bit of incremental revenue out of the F seats that are flying empty, but I think that there are a few gotchas in the scheme right now.
I agree 100%.

If CO wants to extract (much more) incremental revenue they should consider E+ and administer the program a bit more logically than UA does.

Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Will this only work at the kiosks? What about OLCI at 24 hours? I almost never go to a kiosk.
Effective Date: BETA testing will begin on a limited number of Kiosks on February 3, 2009. All kiosks will begin offering the upgrade on February 5, 2009 and continental.com check-in will offer this feature in the near future.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:19 am

I was hesitant and waiting for COINSIDER to chime in when I got this email, but this is not a rumor. Here are just a few details listed below.

Applies: Continental Airlines flights within North and South America (except to/from Hawaii, Argentina and Brazil) and all Continental flights within Asia and the Pacific (except for nonstop flights between Honolulu and Guam).
My route is Houston - Sao Paulo - Rio. So it seems for that route, things will stay the same. It's 12 hours gate to gate... so an upgrade is more than welcome on such a long haul.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Bye-bye, promo/space availables.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AMF in NJ
That's exactly what they said though.
Just made my way to that page now.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Bye-bye, promo/space availables.
And companion upgrades...
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Hopefully. This is a much better model. Upgrades should NOT be free.
They have a very stong loyalty program because they give upgrades for free...
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I can't for one second believe that CO will prioritize paid non-elite upgrades over EUAs.
We have experienced a number of "EUA anomolies" over the years, and while documented, CO still hasnt' gotten it right. It still happens from time to time where someone will get an EUA at checkin and beat out someone with a legit higher priority. Or we see things like EUA stalling, and checkin upgrading people first-come, first-served.

So while CO's stated intent may be not to upgrade non-status passengers over Elites, I have very little faith in their ability to implement such a system without issues.

So Breath easy it looks like this will only be offered after all elite customers have been upgraded. But I can see companion upgrades getting a lot harder.
True, though I'm not sure many people are as worried about companion upgrades. At 33% upgrades as CO Plat last year, I'd pretty much written off companion uprades as a non-benefit. The prerequisite for a companion upgrade is that one's upgrade clears. CO needs to focus on making that happen reliably first.

Originally Posted by belynch
When I first started going through this thread I yawned and thought who cares. CO has a very transparent EUA system and they are very good about handling situations where things don't go properly.
The EUA system is automated, and there really shouldn't be any sort of "things that don't go properly" if they have their logic, business rules, and programming right. The problem is, there are issues from time to time with the way EUA works, combined with CO's extremely tight F inventory, that an error not in your favor can really impact you.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I can say this program WILL take seats away from elites!

Here is my flying pattern:

Book outbound tix Friday for Monday...no effect...

Book return on Thursday am for Thursday PM-most likely in B (old H) as its a OW, and that is all that CO usually sells for OW, short dep time!

So..Pa Kettle who didnt feel like flying US and paying 2bucks for a coke..checks in online Wednesday evening. 3 elites are currently on the w/l for 4 seats (737-500, my "usual" plane). He sees a buy-up for 50bucks, and buys it! No problem, 3 elites, 3 seats left!

Thursday morning, I buy a B fare for the trip home. Having my wife with me, now I have the ability to "companion upgrade". I check in at the kiosk, and have my wife added to the list at the gate. T-1hour, and we have 5 people on the list for 3 seats!!! UHOH!!

So...Pa Kettle, me, my wife are sitting up front, and 2 gold are in the back! Oh how CO made so much off of the quick 50bucks!!!

But life is not that bad, as the 2 golds were given a seat in E+. Wait, no, they were given an aisle seat, with the middle blocked!

I have to say, IME, UA is a MUCH better system with E+ for non-F flights, and I really dont mind the E500's!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.