Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unwarranted Assumption by FA in FC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:30 am

Better what happened there than my most recent itin. 3 flights and 5 F entries by Y folks.

2 were visits, one by a husband to his wife and the other by a guy who gave his seat to a friend. I don't get it - you gave up the seat and, therefore, the right to enter F. If you want to ask or need something, ask an F/A to cross the curtain.

3 were bathroom visits. Simply no enforcement. Sitting in the bulkhead means you have to walk father to the bathroom, and is not an excuse to cross the magic curtain.

So, yes, I'd rather see too much aggression than too little.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGSF
No. But discriminating on the basis of race OR age is illegal in this situation. While I am not in favor of playing the race card, if it is clear that one is being discriminated against based on one's physical appearance (whether that is race, age, or both) one should not hesitate to raise the issue.

Originally Posted by jbh64
How is it "clear"?
Yeah, did I miss something that the FA said? I see nothing racist in the original post. Maybe it's just me.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
A swift apology followed
The appropriate response.

Originally Posted by novaguy30
She then tried to say that she was worried about all of the people who were not sitting in first class who were using the restrooms -- although nobody had done so on this flight. Then she said she forgot her glasses.
Perhaps had the FA simply apologized, rather than offering lame excuses, this incident would have never been posted. Sure FAs are human, and as humans we all make mistakes, but the decent thing to do after making an error is to offer a sincere apology.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Perhaps had the FA simply apologized, rather than offering lame excuses, this incident would have never been posted. Sure FAs are human, and as humans we all make mistakes, but the decent thing to do after making an error is to offer a sincere apology.
Agree, the FA should not make up lame excuses to cover up their error. Also, although its only a one-hour flight, is it that difficult to remember the faces of passengers seated in FC?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Sounds like you allready addressed your thoughts with the flight attendant..I am tired of hearing about people playing the race card..who cares what race you are?..this is 2009..I dont think you being hispanic had anything to do with the price of tea in China..get a clue..
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by neuron
Also, although its only a one-hour flight, is it that difficult to remember the faces of passengers seated in FC?
Try reading post #9

Apparently not every FA is a member of Mensa like you or has a photographic memory like you.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Quote:
No. But discriminating on the basis of race OR age is illegal in this situation. While I am not in favor of playing the race card, if it is clear that one is being discriminated against based on one's physical appearance (whether that is race, age, or both) one should not hesitate to raise the issue.

Yeah, did I miss something that the FA said? I see nothing racist in the original post. Maybe it's just me.
I didn't say that it was "clear" that the FA was doing anything. I just said if it is clear that one is being discriminated against, one should raise the issue. I'm a young minority, and there have been times when it is clear that I was discriminated against based on my age, race, or both. In those instances I said something. Other times, it was more difficult, and I didn't say anything.

Unfortunately, most times it is not at all clear. But racism, sexism, and ageism are alive and well in the United States, so it would not surprise me if this sort of thing happens several times a day at Continental, and other airlines. I just don't understand why we can have entire threads about ageism (e.g., the gate agent thought I wasn't supposed to be in the elite line, and btw I'm 24 and wear ripped jeans and a t-shirt when I fly first class), but as soon as somebody raises the possibility that they were a victim of racism, everyone jumps on them for "playing the race card."
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I didn't say that it was "clear" that the FA was doing anything. I just said if it is clear that one is being discriminated against, one should raise the issue. I'm a young minority, and there have been times when it is clear that I was discriminated against based on my age, race, or both. In those instances I said something. Other times, it was more difficult, and I didn't say anything.

Unfortunately, most times it is not at all clear. But racism, sexism, and ageism are alive and well in the United States, so it would not surprise me if this sort of thing happens several times a day at Continental, and other airlines. I just don't understand why we can have entire threads about ageism (e.g., the gate agent thought I wasn't supposed to be in the elite line), but as soon as somebody raises the possibility that they were a victim of racism, everyone jumps on them for "playing the race card."
Perhaps because ageism doesn't have an entire industry built on shouting "racism" anytime anyone breathes.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
oh, come on, i'm a 20 year old Asian, i've hear it all. Once at UA check-in, i had a "Hey buddy, your line's over here". usually i just make a joke and carry on. Now I can sort of predict when its going to happen, and i just tell them "i'm sitting in 2C" before they even ask, and save the awkward situation from happening.

The way i think of it, there's no way i can change FA/GA/TA's minds on their preconceptions (its part of their job), and from what i've read in this thread, alot of the "normal" F passengers acturally enjoy that preconception. So why not try to save myself and them and trouble of going through this whole thing. age and race i can't chance, but i can certainly chance the way i dress, and be on my best manners, and my biggest advice, please, oh please, no sweats in F class.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Illegal? Really? Going to the bathroom? I am sure the FA was judging it on FC/Y issue not race. Besides, if she made a assumption on his class of service because of his race (which you cannot even strongly infer that was her reason in this situation)...certainly NOT ILLEGAL....if CO denied upgrade, ticket purchase or this FA barred this person from sitting in FC on race THEN you got some illegality.

Just follow the logic...you can't use the bathroom because you are Hispanic...this is illegal....you can't use the bathroom because I think you came from coach and based upon your race I am making a bigoted assumption...well that's very very hard to prove and unless you read minds or the FA has history of making false assumptions about Hispanics then you can't infer illegality).

I think this has happened to most of us, where we belong in a certain place and someone says we don't. In general, people should not make assumptions based upon APPEARANCE (and that does include race) and I think that is the lesson that should be taken away from here.

- HF

Last edited by HobokenFlyer; Feb 2, 2009 at 4:47 pm
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
but as soon as somebody raises the possibility that they were a victim of racism, everyone jumps on them for "playing the race card."
I think people get annoyed when someone injects race into a situation when it's remote or just ludicrous. However, just because it is remote and ludicrous doesn't mean that racism doesn't exist nor if you have been exposed to it even on minor levels doesn't mean it doesn't irk the hell out of you.

- HF

Last edited by HobokenFlyer; Feb 2, 2009 at 5:10 pm
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
A person sitting in coach seat 16E didn't want to walk to the rear lavatory and attempted to use the first class facilities. When the flight attendant tried to stop him, he said Northwest publishes where the bathroom are in the aircraft and the terms of carriage do not allow an airline from stopping any passenger from using their choice of any available bathroom in an aircraft without a printed disclosure.

This coach passenger was then allowed to poop in first class. I've noticed during the safety announcements, the flight attendants make a verbal request to leave the first class lavatory for those first cabin passengers, however when the first class lavatory is occupied, first class passengers use the toilets in the back of the aircraft. Does anyone know if there are any written FAA or TSA flight restrictions that prohibits you from selecting your choice of using any available aircraft toilet?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I teach at a diverse school, and get the race card tossed in a few times a month. Usually when I am quietly redirecting a student who is not behaving appropriately. "You don't like me because I'm ....." (fill in the blank) seems to be the accepted way for many to get out of their responsibilities.

This infuriates me. It trivializes all the true discrimination people have fought against. And makes it harder to fight against what still exists.

Now I do ask sometimes if they are prejudiced against blond women, because otherwise why would I be accused of this? Or I just point to my extended family portrait.

OP- sorry, but if was anything other than an honest mistake- then it was youth.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ceieoc
he said Northwest publishes where the bathroom are in the aircraft and the terms of carriage do not allow an airline from stopping any passenger from using their choice of any available bathroom in an aircraft without a printed disclosure.
Rubbish. Nothing precludes an airline from establishing a lav policy.
I would have had a hard time stifling a laugh as I insisted he go to the lav in his cabin.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: CO Gold
there is an irony with a passenger making up a rule to counter another made up rule LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.