Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I upgrade myself on Continental?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
How can I upgrade myself on Continental?

Hello my friends,
Apologies for the ignorance as I am not usually a Continental flier. As such, I do not have status with Continental but I was curious what are my options for upgrading myself on a flight? Is there a miles upgrade? Perhaps a co-pay? Or some instrument that can be traded? Many thanks for the help.
Rupesh
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CO does not use any upgrade instruments so your options are to use miles (domestic) or miles + a copay (Business First markets).

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...e/default.aspx
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Originally Posted by sdm1130
CO does not use any upgrade instruments so your options are to use miles (domestic) or miles + a copay (Business First markets).

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...e/default.aspx
It seems as if it is 15k miles for a one way upgrade? Are they easy to obtain?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by family friend
It seems as if it is 15k miles for a one way upgrade? Are they easy to obtain?
Yes, 15k is one way. It really depends on the route/dates/etc.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Yes, 15k is one way. It really depends on the route/dates/etc.
How far in advance are confirmed upgrades available via mileage?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5*
How far in advance are confirmed upgrades available via mileage?
Advance confirmed upgrade rewards are given out based on availability. If no availability exists at the time of request, you will be placed on the waitlist, and will receive the upgrade as soon as a space opens up. On the waitlist itself, you will be prioritized above regular elites waiting for automatic upgrades (EUAs), but below those elites who are on upgrade rewards like yourself.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For a non-elite there is also a co-pay required for domestic upgrades from cheap flights. This is a recent change that allows non-elites to upgrade from those fares; prior to the co-pay change on those fares non-elites were just not allowed to upgrade on domestic flights with cheap fares.

To the OP, if you get the miles and call in for the upgrade and the inventory isn't immediately available, ask to be put on the waitlist for the upgrade. Much easier than calling back and checking all the time. And you generally have to ask, as the agents will not always offer it to you.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
If this might be more than a one-time thing, you could also go for a status match.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbreuer
If this might be more than a one-time thing, you could also go for a status match.
Do elites receive complimentary upgrades? What is involved in a status match?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Do elites receive complimentary upgrades? What is involved in a status match?
The 3rd "sticky" thread at the top of the 1st page of the CO forum will have all your answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.