Search

Newbie Seeks Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental One Pass, Hilton Honors, Hyatt, Fairmont
Newbie Seeks Help

Hi everyone.
I've spent a little time reading some threads in the Continental forum and I'm hoping some of you can advise me.

For the first time in my life, I have flown enough in a calendar year to almost reach a significant status. I have flown mostly Continental all year and I think I will be just short of entry-level Elite status after my next (necessary) flight.

So I was thinking of taking a flight (or two) just to rack up the miles (what I believe you all call a 'mileage run.' ) but I'm wondering if it's really worth it. Of course I have read about the "benefits" of being an "Elite" status member, even if only Silver, but I'm wondering how likely it is that I will get upgrades, for example.

I also just realized that although I have a first-class (F/C?) ticket on a four-legged flight from EWR to Tucson, one leg is on Delta and another is on Northwestern -- so I believe I won't be earning the typical 2 points per flight for those? I think I read somewhere that I'll only earn 1 point even though it's a F/C (A) fare. Is that true?? Well, I would still get the miles, so I think if I'm going to try to qualify for Silver Elite I'll have to do it based on miles. I have 18 (woo-hoo!) points prior to this upcoming EWR-Tucson flight. I should earn 6-8 points for that flight, which would get me to 24-26. Not quite there. I will have ~23,300 miles after this flight.

I have tentative plans to take a trip to Knoxville in December, but that will only earn me 2 points and/or 1262 miles.

That would take me to 26-28 points and ~24,500 miles.

So I guess my question comes down to this -- is it worth doing a mileage/point run just to qualify for Silver Elite? Is Silver Elite worth aiming for?

Or should I be thinking about 2010 - because as a Silver Elite member I will earn more bonus miles and be that much more likely to maintain my status or possibly move up a notch??

Sorry if these are inane questions. Like I said, I'm a newbie at this.

Regards, all.

Last edited by tsw22; Nov 23, 2008 at 3:24 am Reason: found answer to question
Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:25 am

First, welcome to FT

Second, PAX = passenger

As for your main question, I have been elite on NW for 10 years and fly quite often so I will provide my perspective. I would say that if you plan to fly a bit next year I would recommend a mileage run. Find a cheap fare and go for it. You can probably do it in one day. As for the FC upgrades, your success factor will depend on where you are flying from and to. Hub to hub is very difficult, even for PE's, but on other routes you may have more success. Also another big factor is the day of the week and time of day you fly.

But bottom line do you want to spend a little money to have the perks that do come with elite? The perks are not too bad for what you get, you just need to look at how much a quick mileage run will cost and then weigh that against the intrinsic value of the CO perks you will receive.

One caution will be to make sure you get this all completed by December 31, 2008, as that date is the end of the 2008 program year.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:17 am

Programs: CO Plat, Mariott Plat, National Exec. Elite, Hilton plywood elite, P-Club!
IMO, the likelyhood of upgrades is pretty low for a silver. On the other hand, the elite pre-boarding privilege is worth its weight in - well - silver. It takes you out of the battle for overhead space.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by tsw22
Or should I be thinking about 2010 - because as a Silver Elite member I will earn more bonus miles and be that much more likely to maintain my status or possibly move up a notch??

Yes, you will earn bonus miles next year if you are a Silver Elite member, but they do not count toward your elite status for the year. They are not "EQMs" -- Elite Qualifying Miles. You still have to do the standard 25,000 actual flight miles or 30 points, just as you're trying to do this year.
Having said that, I think it's worth it, anyway. I'm Silver, and get upgraded more often than one would think (flying from IAH). Like another poster said, it depends on the day of the week and time of day you are flying. However, I've gathered from this board that upgrades out of EWR are tough no matter what. Early boarding, quicker check in and security lines, etc., are all worth it as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention the "no checked bag fees!"

Go for it! Have fun...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by lindaiah
Yes, you will earn bonus miles next year if you are a Silver Elite member, but they do not count toward your elite status for the year. They are not "EQMs" -- Elite Qualifying Miles. You still have to do the standard 25,000 actual flight miles or 30 points, just as you're trying to do this year.
Having said that, I think it's worth it, anyway. I'm Silver, and get upgraded more often than one would think (flying from IAH). Like another poster said, it depends on the day of the week and time of day you are flying. However, I've gathered from this board that upgrades out of EWR are tough no matter what. Early boarding, quicker check in and security lines, etc., are all worth it as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention the "no checked bag fees!"

Go for it! Have fun...
Don't forget the availability of the "blue" seats!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by lindaiah

Go for it! Have fun...

Nope you can buy class H economy tickets that will net you 150% eqm's...
Old Nov 26, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Movieman123
Nope you can buy class H economy tickets that will net you 150% eqm's...
Right, but I think the OP was talking about the bonus miles (currently 50% but dropping to 25% for Silvers next year) earned on all flights as counting toward his elite status. That's the way I read it, anyway.
If he wants to buy H fares and earn 150% EQMs, that's certainly a way to get to Silver quicker, but I didn't think that was what he was referring to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.