Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

24 Hour Cancel Ticket Policy - Exact rule, process questions

Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

hi all,

Saw a couple older threads. I found a good one way fare over Xmas but have to confirm my new job will allow me a day off.
Just wanted to confirm the process and policy for a ticket refund in the 24 hour window. Thanks in advance if you can help out, Here are my questions:

1. The ticket in question is a one-way ticket from Florida to Toronto. Does this affect the 24 hour refund policy in any way?

2. If I buy the ticket tonight and find out tomorrow my boss won't give me the time off, Can I easily cancel it and get a full refund online as long as it's within 24 hours of my purchase?

3. If doable, Is it straight forward to do this online? Never done it before and have not spent too much time on co.com

Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:21 pm

1. Never tried to do it with a one-way ticket, but I can't imagine why that would change things.

2. As long as it's within 24 hours.

3. It's very easy to do online.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AngelMcD
1. Never tried to do it with a one-way ticket, but I can't imagine why that would change things.

2. As long as it's within 24 hours.

3. It's very easy to do online.
Another trick is to indicate you will pay in cash, and the reservation will be held for you until tomorrow. At which point, you go back to the reservation, and charge it.

But I would just book it on co.com.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:03 pm
G23

One way versus Round trip will not affect the policy. You have 24hrs to receive a full refund either online or over the phone which ever you feel most comfortable with. Hope this helps
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
You need to be signed in to your OnePass account on co.com when you book the ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
You need to be signed in to your OnePass account on co.com when you book the ticket.
Not any more. This policy changed in late summer. You can also now refund a ticket booked by phone as long as you're within the 24-hour window.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not any more. This policy changed in late summer. You can also now refund a ticket booked by phone as long as you're within the 24-hour window.
Bad news: had to cancel cause my boss couldn' grant me the time off over XMas.

Good news: Refund was straight forward and easy to do on co.com.

Appreciated having that option so I booked CO for flights next weekend. Funny, when you give the consumer a little flexibility, rather than losing money because you can cancel tickets w/out penalty, you get more business when the customer feels they've been treated fairly.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:50 pm
teo

I have another question related to the 24 Hour Cancellation Policy...

Late last night I booked a BZN-BRS roundtrip this summer for $1,151. Noticing the cancellation policy at the time of booking, I decided to check the fares again today on the off chance that they had gone down. Lo and behold, the price for the exact same flights is $961 today. Is there anything wrong with canceling the flight I booked last night and then rebooking at the new lower price? I don't want to take advantage of the policy if it's not intended for this usage, but I also would like to save the $190 if at all possible! Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by teo
...Is there anything wrong with canceling the flight I booked last night and then rebooking at the new lower price? ...
Is this a rhetorical question?!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by teo
I have another question related to the 24 Hour Cancellation Policy...

Late last night I booked a BZN-BRS roundtrip this summer for $1,151. Noticing the cancellation policy at the time of booking, I decided to check the fares again today on the off chance that they had gone down. Lo and behold, the price for the exact same flights is $961 today. Is there anything wrong with canceling the flight I booked last night and then rebooking at the new lower price? I don't want to take advantage of the policy if it's not intended for this usage, but I also would like to save the $190 if at all possible! Thanks.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!! The purpose of the rule is to allow you to change your mind. You should change your mind. And then change it again.

Take advantage of it because it doesn't happen too often.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:18 pm
teo

Originally Posted by skipmnyc
Is this a rhetorical question?!
Hmm, I do believe it is! To rephrase...

Will there be any problems if I cancel the booking I made last night and then immediately rebook the identical flights at the lower fare?

Edit: Well, I guess it is doable. I think I did a triple take when I read the policy last night, since I've never heard of anything like this on other airlines. I don't get to fly CO much living in Montana, but a policy allowing me to save almost $200 certainly makes me want to fly CO whenever I can!

Last edited by teo; Feb 19, 2009 at 6:32 pm
Old May 6, 2010, 8:36 pm

Is CO 24 hour to the hour? I know DL is midnight the day following ticket purchase. Is there any extra room on the 24 hours? Thanks.

-Never flied CO before...
Old May 6, 2010, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by hellyea
Is CO 24 hour to the hour?
To the minute, actually.

Originally Posted by hellyea
Is there any extra room on the 24 hours?
Nope. And it is from the initial reservation, not when the ticket is purchased/paid for nor the time of ticketing.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by teo
I think I did a triple take when I read the policy last night, since I've never heard of anything like this on other airlines.
I think most airlines have this policy. I've used it several times on UA too.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Not sure if proper etiquette is to post to this existing thread in obsolete forum or create new one in consolidated forum, but I'm assuming that the PMCO 24-hour cancellation coding hasn't changed and have a few questions that PMCO flyers can best answer.

I have a reservation that apparently is going to take 24 hours to be ticketed because of one segment on a partner that requires the delay. Do I only have 24 hours from booking to cancel it or will the clock start once it's ticketed?

I see that you can't request upgrades online until after the itinerary is ticketed, but can you do that over the phone? (R space is currently available, but you never know if it'll still be there later.)

In general, if you make a free change to your itinerary within the 24-hour window, does the clock start again? If not, presumably you'd want to cancel entirely and start with a new res.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.