Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Connecting in Cuba

In searching for reward tickets from SDQ to CDG, I found the following interesting option. This flight wasn't forced with a multi-city search, it was a standard return from the booking engine.

------------------------------------------------

Sat., Jun. 6, 2009

Depart:
9:10 a.m. - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)
Arrive:
10:34 a.m. - Panama City, Panama (PTY)

Flight: CM 271
Aircraft: Boeing 737-700
Meal: Breakfast
No Special Meal Offered.

Change Planes. Connect time in Panama City, Panama (PTY) is 1 hour 44 minutes .

Depart:
12:18 p.m. - Panama City, Panama (PTY)
Arrive:
2:53 p.m. - Havana, Cuba (HAV)

Flight: CM 246
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Meal: Lunch
No Special Meal Offered.

Change Planes. Connect time in Havana, Cuba (HAV) is 5 hours 32 minutes .

Depart:
8:25 p.m. - Havana, Cuba (HAV)
Arrive:
11:20 a.m. +1 Day - Paris, France (CDG)

Flight: AF 479
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Meal: Breakfast
No Special Meal Offered.

------------------------------------------------

Is this legal for US citizens to accept? I believe the embargo technically allows travel to Cuba, but forbids US citizens from spending money there. Is this right?

Interestingly, if you search for flights to/from HAV on their own, you get this message:

! Neither Continental nor its codeshare partners serve Havana, Cuba (HAV) using a Continental flight number. You may modify your search criteria, or call 1-800-300-1547 for assistance.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
Is this legal for US citizens to accept? I believe the embargo technically allows travel to Cuba, but forbids US citizens from spending money there. Is this right?
I highly doubt that it is acceptable for anyone, as I do not think CO is allowed to sell tickets on any carrier that even traverse Cuba. Does Cuba have an international transfer facility that you could use to never enter Cuba while in transit? Not that it makes a difference, but it could be interesting.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I highly doubt that it is acceptable for anyone, as I do not think CO is allowed to sell tickets on any carrier that even traverse Cuba. Does Cuba have an international transfer facility that you could use to never enter Cuba while in transit? Not that it makes a difference, but it could be interesting.
I don't know if they have a transit area (I doubt it), but I do know that Cuban passport control knows not to stamp US passports. Either way, I doubt CO would let you ticket a flight through Cuba - especially if you're a US citizen.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by sdm1130
Either way, I doubt CO would let you ticket a flight through Cuba - especially if you're a US citizen.
I'm pretty sure that CO isn't allowed to sell that ticket at all, even using OnePass miles and all partner metal. I vaguely recall it being discussed once before and CO Insider confirming that.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm pretty sure that CO isn't allowed to sell that ticket at all, even using OnePass miles and all partner metal. I vaguely recall it being discussed once before and CO Insider confirming that.
I'd imagine you're right, but I was able to click all the way through the booking process (though I didn't ticket it...not worth the $150 redeposit fee )!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:42 pm

Programs: CO Silver, Miles and More Silver
Cuba is a no go. In fact you can get into trouble if you just travel there, a friend of mine went there via canada and had some explaining to do when he wanted to come home.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:44 pm

I found the thread I was thinking of (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ht=reward+cuba) and it actually really only discuses Iran, Syria and Sudan with definitive answers; Cuba remains an open question.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1097.html

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS /TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Treasury Department and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

No way.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
I thought it was only illegal to spend money in Cuba, not actually go there...in that case you could theoretically be on solid legal footing, though it will still raise eyebrows. Cuban officials are also known not to stamp US passports upon request. I imagine it *might* be hard to tell you ever entered Cuba if you have a stamp from Panama then an entry stamp from France on consecutive days.

Well, the quote above would seem to make it off-limits. Though it is clear "transactions" (i.e. spending money) are a major component of the provision, I would imagine Cuba would collect some taxes from your airfare, thus meaning you "spent" money there.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by COFan
Cuba is a no go. In fact you can get into trouble if you just travel there, a friend of mine went there via canada and had some explaining to do when he wanted to come home.
That's a pretty simplistic (and naive) explanation - 95% of the world's population can travel there without so much as an eyebrow being raised, and even if you're in the 5% (US citizen) there are huge numbers of perfectly acceptable methods of traveling to Cuba. It's not as simple as "you can get into trouble".
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Have a look at this - hard to believe they are talking about the same country
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...l-america/cuba
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by flg8rmatt
I thought it was only illegal to spend money in Cuba, not actually go there...in that case you could theoretically be on solid legal footing, though it will still raise eyebrows. Cuban officials are also known not to stamp US passports upon request. I imagine it *might* be hard to tell you ever entered Cuba if you have a stamp from Panama then an entry stamp from France on consecutive days.

Well, the quote above would seem to make it off-limits. Though it is clear "transactions" (i.e. spending money) are a major component of the provision, I would imagine Cuba would collect some taxes from your airfare, thus meaning you "spent" money there.
it is easy enough to change money
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
I'd imagine you're right, but I was able to click all the way through the booking process (though I didn't ticket it...not worth the $150 redeposit fee )!
I highly doubt that CO would have charged you any amount to Redeposit the Miles if they allowed you to book an "Illegal" tkt. Heck they would have paid you the $150 just to avoid in getting into any trouble with the Feds for having done so
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Can't remember where, but I recall a recent story on Bush administration increasing vigilance on prosecution of illegal travel to Cuba via third countries.

Might have been an NPR spot last yea. *shrugs* Personally I wouldn't do it.....but maybe some maverick, travelling alone might give it a shot and see what happens.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:56 pm

Count me in as someone who is absolutely intrigued with flying to Cuba. Beyond the cool factor, I hear the collection of old cars is amazing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.