Female Elites

Old Nov 14, 08, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, UA Prem Exec
Female Elites

I do find it interesting how many men push past me in boarding the plane, assuming that a female in her 30's can't be a platinum elite member. I get asked all the time if I am in the wrong line.I know chivalry has died, but to almost get knocked to the ground so someone else can be first on the plane is a bit ridiculous.
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I push and shove people of all ages and genders in the scrum to board, so don't take it personally.
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:10 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
I push and shove people of all ages and genders in the scrum to board, so don't take it personally.
I salute your valuing of diversity & inclusiveness!

CLG
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Welcome to FT
its not just females its young people as well
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48208
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:13 am

Location: Cleveland, Ohio. I answer any question about Cleveland
Programs: I'm nobody
Originally Posted by stephaz View Post
I do find it interesting how many men push past me in boarding the plane, assuming that a female in her 30's can't be a platinum elite member. I get asked all the time if I am in the wrong line.I know chivalry has died, but to almost get knocked to the ground so someone else can be first on the plane is a bit ridiculous.
That's nonsense. How do you know whether someone pushes past you because they assume you are not a platinum elite member? That is an assumption you just made up without any factual basis. If someone asks you whether you are in the wrong line did you inquire to see if they ask the same of male passengers?
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Because the blue carpet is specifically designed to stroke the egos of male uber-platinums who will act like a caveman protecting his cave when he perceives his territory under threat
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:16 am
Original Poster

First, thanks to those for the welcome. And glad to hear the pushing and shoving is all around!

In response to whether I did see if they were questioning everyone, yes, I did. I fly the exact same route each week, and it is the same pushers, shovers and questioners. I do reply "I am in the right line, being a platinum. Are you asking everyone?" The person usually turns away a little embarrassed.

And I'm not naive to think it is due to me being female. It is due to me being a younger female. I see a lot of the same women on my flights. Just not anyone my age.
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:26 am

As a boarding agent, I have seen some wild things. I see men pushing and shoving women with babies all the time, in their quest to board ASAP.

I have also questioned a few people, standing on the Elite rug, as to their status as well. When I see certain elderly ethic groups standing there I often ask if they are Elite since I am not sure if they understand english. The younger gangsta clothed kids are questioned as well!

I have learned that Elites come in all sizes, ages and ethic groups.
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:37 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
I just board when it is my turn... no need to push and shove... but is quite funny how many of the suits try to shove past me when first class boarding is called... especially as I'm 6'5" and line backer build... I just politely say excuse me... I'm boarding now and the look on their faces as this young person boards into first shocks them...

Is platinum elite something only those over 40 can attain or something? Sheez people... get a life, no need to rush onboard a plane, as it won't get off the ground any quicker if you run everyone over in the process... and especially for those of us going on first, tons of room in the bins, just might not be where you want it at first...
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by stephaz View Post
First, thanks to those for the welcome. And glad to hear the pushing and shoving is all around!

In response to whether I did see if they were questioning everyone, yes, I did. I fly the exact same route each week, and it is the same pushers, shovers and questioners. I do reply "I am in the right line, being a platinum. Are you asking everyone?" The person usually turns away a little embarrassed.

And I'm not naive to think it is due to me being female. It is due to me being a younger female. I see a lot of the same women on my flights. Just not anyone my age.
Stephaz, they do love to push past us younger elites... as if we are casual flyers coming home from college or something in their minds...

Cause a scene next time, put them jerks in their place... no need to shove and push like that, or cut in line... their egos really need to be tamed...

Pushing a woman to boot... that to me is wrong... chivalry isn't dead for all of us... if my wife was pushed aside... that would not be a pretty sight...
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
At some locations CO is boarding by elite levels
so If you are Plat you get to go first
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:47 am
Original Poster

I think they should always board by elite levels!

And I do stand up for myself. I can push and shove right back. Unfortunate it has to occur at all.

I know why people hurry to get on the plane - the overhead bins. It just seems a bit uncalled for, how much shoving occurs.
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
More proof that certain people's status has too much of a role in defining them as a person because they have nothing else in life but to whine and cry that they're Plat.
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:49 am

It's not an excuse for bad behavior, but the issue of people standing around 3 feet behind the last person in line because they want to be first when their group gets to go causes a lot of this. I can never tell where I am supposed to get in line and often end up standing behind somebody who is not in line. Surely in a parallel universe where airlines cared about their passengers there would be a better system.
Old Nov 14, 08, 9:52 am

I'm just one of the first in line usually, pacing at the front of the line, as I'll be stuck on the plane for a bit, so might as well get my legs stretched out and what not before it even boards.... unlike those sitting around waiting for the boarding to be called...

Not to mention, it is quite obvious when GA walks over to the boarding area, that they are about to board... see that sign and GO GO GO GO lol

Search this Thread
Search Engine: