Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Poor Service and Incredibly Rude Plat in F Cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold

I just got in from flying ORD-EWR and I'm trying to decide which was worse, the FA's incompetence or the guy sitting next to me. When the GA began boarding the plane, another guy and I were standing near the Elite boarding line and began walking toward the gate (we should have been 1st and 2nd on the flight). Another F passenger decided that he should be first and physically shoved me and plowed past the other guy. I'm 6'5" tall and not easily toppled, but I was pretty stunned that the guy shoved me. When I said that we were in line, he responded that the GA was boarding F and he was Platinum. I replied that I was F (and Platinum) and he just continued onto the plane. As luck would have it, he was seated next to me. He then proceeded to shove and slam his clearly-not-a-carry-on piece of luggage into the overhead bin. He got it in (taking up the entire bin) and sat down. That was the last inconvenience from the shoving guy (luckily he was working on the flight) and after we were both seated I made sure to tell him that I didn't appreciate being run over by him. He didn't respond.

Now, onto the FA. The FA serving the F cabin was one of the worst I have ever dealt with. I have read about people's experiences with "dragon ladies," but this wasn't the case. He was just incompetent.

We were not offered a pre-flight beverage (fine, the plane was full and people took a while to board). When we began asking for him to hang our coats, he said there wasn't room (mind you he hadn't hung a single one) and then said, "oh wait" as if he remembered that there was a closet and hung the jackets.

Next it was time for dinner orders and beverages. That consisted of:

FA: Drink?
EWRFlyerAL: Diet Coke, please.
FA: Dinner...um, we have chicken fajita or chicken pita and soup.
EWRFlyerAL: Ok, is it a fajita or pita? And, what type of soup?
FA: Mushroom (no answer on the other question).
EWRFlyerAL: Ok, I'll have both. Thanks.

Beverages came and we were all greeted with, "yo, you want nuts?" Then he remembered hot towels, which he took off his tray with tongs and put on our trays (I have always been handed the towel and didn't really like it touching the tray).

Next came the meal which was presented on a tray as usual, but other FAs that I have dealt with have placed the tray down. He insisted on handing each of the pax their tray (even the aisle). Not a big deal, but this was coupled with "careful, it's hot." Which it was the chicken pita's cheese and the soup were actuallly sizzling.

After all of the F pax were served dinner, he disappeared. About 15 minutes later he came with wine and then gone again. Another 15 trays were taken and that was the last we saw of him for almost the rest of the flight.

During the rest of the time, he stood in the galley eating several turkey sandwiches, candy bars, etc. and reading a magazine. When I walked up and asked for more Diet Coke, he begrudgingly refilled the glass that he told me to bring to him. Oh the other thing he did while reading...guarding the front lav. I heard him tell 3 passengers from Y that they could not use the lav. When they said that a cart was in the aisle, he replied that that was the policy and proceeded to block the door. When one passenger pushed the issue, he became very gruff and told the passenger, "return to your seat now." I know it's CO's policy that the front lav is reserved for F passengers, it is usually not strictly enforced.

I was surprised by this behavior, but overall he did not seem to want to be there and did the bare minimum required. I plan to write to CO to tell them about this guy as the service was sub-par. Nothing was awful and I was grateful for the upgrade that got me in a bigger seat, but the vibe in the F cabin just wasn't pleasant.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:47 pm

Location: Midland, by way of Odessa, by way of El Paso, by way of Abuja, by way of Mexico City, by way of...
Programs: Aadvantage Exec Plat, AmEx Platinum, Hilton Diamond, United Club, Admiral's Club
Maybe the flight attendant was having a bad day. As for the other passenger, sounds like a case for some audacious and unmitigated flatulence. That will make him pay.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by westtexas
Maybe the flight attendant was having a bad day. As for the other passenger, sounds like a case for some audacious and unmitigated flatulence. That will make him pay.
Some elites are very friendly and realize that being so is a lot easier. Other elites are very high strung and have big egos. I hate during F boarding when F pax will line up on the elite and non-elite side and both lines will simultaneously push trying to jam through one door faster. This type of behavior should be reserved for the post-elite rush when getting on first really does matter!

For the FA, he was probably nervous and having a bad day. The two combination caused the bad service/aggressive and rude behavior. The strict bathroom enforcement is not awful in my opinion. Once Y pax comes up, there is no stopping the rest of the cabin. I have been on flights where there was a line at the front of economy of people waiting for the bathroom. Usually when in F it is nice to keep the more serene experience without the constant transit through the aisles.

I would definitely write a letter though. That really is not acceptable service.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
Sounds like the FA was brand new, having no clue... or on his last days as a FA and didn't care anymore but to finish their shift and be gone...

As far as the fellow passenger... some people are in such a rush for no reason to board as first... I just let them go ahead and get on down that ramp, only to be stuck waiting as much as the rest of us... all for a few seconds of being ahead...

Now as far as being shoved... I'm 6'5" myself... a counter shove would have sent that jerk flying... "Oh sorry, didn't SEE you there as you stepped in my path"...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:11 pm

I can't answer for the rude passenger, but as far as the flight attendant, you definitely were given sub-par service and I sincerely apologize. I hope we can make it up to you soon.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Not to worry. I have had many, many positive experiences on CO and will be back as they have been the only airline that I fly for several years now.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by westtexas
As for the other passenger, sounds like a case for some audacious and unmitigated flatulence.
I wish I could develop the ability to do this on demand. What a handy talent
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:39 pm

It's always comical watching elites behavior as it gets closer to boarding time. Some will get in line on the blue carpet and be standing there all by themselves 20 minutes before boarding. WHY?!?!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pptp
It's always comical watching elites behavior as it gets closer to boarding time. Some will get in line on the blue carpet and be standing there all by themselves 20 minutes before boarding. WHY?!?!
This is especially amusing to me when the elite is not upgraded and they just get in the way of all of the F passengers trying to board.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
I've seen that when there wasn't even a plane at the gate yet and the crew was sitting comfortably in the waiting area and it was announced there was no plane at the gate. Since it was the boarding time listed on the BP, about 15 Elites lined up at the blue carpet. It is funny to watch from a distance.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Platinum
If you don't mind, could you post Continental's reply? While I am sure they are going to send you a form-letter, cut-and-paste note, it would be interesting if they actually look into your flight attendant's behavior and give you any feedback (i.e., you weren't the only complaint and the employee was disciplined, etc).

Sorry that this happened to you.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Just saw it on the DFW-IAH 737 flight this afternoon. The guy was standing at the blue carpet for 15 minutes before they started boarding. I think they believe that it is their unalienable right to board first and it would just be the end of the world if someone beat them to it. This is crazy. Why can't they just sit in the waiting area like most elites and just board when the announcement is made?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:52 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Question This is how I see things in this string!

The rude guy that rushed the front line on boarding wanted to make sure he got the bin above his seat for his large carryon before any other passenger got there ahead of him!

Standing for a limited time is exercise after sitting TOO long or in anticipation of sitting for a long time on flights. Standing gives some relief to the venous status caused by the hard edged seats! Actually it is healthier then looking for a another seat. Standing on the Blue carpet is usually less crowded then other nearly spaces and as crowded, when boarding starts.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:39 am

Programs: CO-Platinum; Amex Platinum; SPG-Gold; Peasant with AA, & WN, Hotels: PH, KC, OM, HH, MC, HI(IN) & JD
The only time to rush onto a plane is when you are in rows 1-3 of an ERJ and need to snag the first bin. I've never had a problem getting bin space in F on a mainline flight unless I miss elite boarding alltogether and have to board after the masses.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Sounds like the rude passenger with the over large case wanted to bum rush the plane in order to ensure he got his overlarge case in the overhead before it was filled. I realize two wrongs don't make a right, but there are cases...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.