Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EWR-LHR to be upped to 3 daily flights: Gatwick gets the Ax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....294&highlight=

Continental Airlines to Launch Third Daily New York-Heathrow Flight

Flights to Gatwick Ending from Both New York and Houston

HOUSTON, Sept. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today announced that it will launch a third daily non-stop flight between its New York hub, Newark Liberty International Airport, and London's Heathrow Airport, effective Oct. 25, 2008 (eastbound), subject to government approval and slot approval. On the same date, it will discontinue flights to London/Gatwick Airport from both New York and Houston.

Continental will continue to operate two daily flights from Houston to Heathrow in addition to the three daily flights from Liberty to Heathrow.

"Our focus on Heathrow is a response to the changing realities of the marketplace," said Jim Compton, Continental's executive vice president marketing. "Our customers have shown a clear preference for Heathrow, and our main competitors have focused their operations there. We regret the need to end year-round operations at Gatwick, but it is imperative that we remain competitive and continue to meet the needs of our customers."

Continental operates a variety of Boeing jets (777, 767 and 757) on its routes from the U.S. to London, with ground operations at Heathrow Terminal 4. Continental also operates non-stop services from Liberty to Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester, as well as Dublin and Shannon -- more cities in the U.K. and Ireland than any other trans-Atlantic airline.

In addition, Continental and Virgin Atlantic Airways codeshare on several Virgin Atlantic-operated flights to London/Heathrow and London/Gatwick.

Continental Airlines is the world's fifth largest airline. Continental, together with Continental Express and Continental Connection, has more than 2,500 daily departures throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, serving 131 domestic and 131 international destinations. More than 550 additional points are served via SkyTeam alliance airlines. With more than 44,000 employees, Continental has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and together with Continental Express, carries approximately 69 million passengers per year.

Continental consistently earns awards and critical acclaim for both its operation and its corporate culture. For the fifth consecutive year, FORTUNE magazine named Continental the No. 1 World's Most Admired Airline on its 2008 list of World's Most Admired Companies. For more company information, go to continental.com.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:19 am

Programs: CO Gold
well that @#$@#$!!#!@!!

I liked the easier in/out, less congestion, less mess in LGW
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by eagle92
We regret the need to end year-round operations at Gatwick...
Does this mean that only the seasonal CLE-LGW flights will remain?

I preferred LGW too, BTW.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
The biggest loss: The EK lounge. I hope they'll still let PC members use it once CO leaves, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Does this mean that only the seasonal CLE-LGW flights will remain?

I preferred LGW too, BTW.
Sounds like all LGW CO ops are closing.

Wonder if the CLE to Europe flights were finished anyway. Who knows if they can afford to do CLE-LHR.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I'm not the least bit shocked by this — ever since service to LHR started the LGW flights have been pretty empty.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I was hoping to fly into Gatwick and try out the EK lounge, looks like that won't happen
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Sounds like all LGW CO ops are closing.

Wonder if the CLE to Europe flights were finished anyway. Who knows if they can afford to do CLE-LHR.
At this point, I think its most logical to expect CLE-FRA to be replace LGW and CDG.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by sxf24
I think its most logical to expect CLE-FRA to be replace LGW and CDG.
+1.

I think we're going to see a lot more in the way of FRA with the entrance into Star.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by belynch
+1.

I think we're going to see a lot more in the way of FRA with the entrance into Star.
And hopefully MUC too
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:56 am

I sounds like CLE/EWR-LGW may still be around next summer based on this quote from Jim Compton:

"We regret the need to end year-round operations at Gatwick"

What happens by next spring is anyone's guess at this point, but as of now it does not appear that Gatwick has completely disappeared.

Any clue as to the schedule for the third flight? It does not seem to be loaded in to the system yet.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Well crap. LGW is much better for my needs; LHR is overcrowded and overrated.

to this news
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
At this point, I think its most logical to expect CLE-FRA to be replace LGW and CDG.
I agree. Makes more sense to go with a Star Alliance hub. Only concern would be for CLE is there really a need for FRA connections if they're already served by IAD/ORD.

Originally Posted by MBM3
I sounds like CLE/EWR-LGW may still be around next summer based on this quote from Jim Compton:

"We regret the need to end year-round operations at Gatwick"

What happens by next spring is anyone's guess at this point, but as of now it does not appear that Gatwick has completely disappeared.
If LGW operations do remain intact, but seasonal, I could see EWR/IAH service, but with this added flight to LHR, the need for CLE seasonal service goes way down.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: nada
Had a feeling we would see that.
Is LON the only (non-hub) city to get 3 families of A/C? If not, on a regular basis?
FL (but admittedly, mostly due to upping usage of the 752s, etc)?
LAX? Maybe due to some of the HNL flights?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I will miss having LGW as an option on CO. Generally, it was much more convenient for me to fly into LGW and take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station, as I usually stay in Belgravia or other nearby areas. Paddington is less convenient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.