Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jwlowry
Glock, Smith and Wesson, Benelli, what is it?
Browning .270

The bear-sized raccoons we've been fattening with cat food for the past few years might get introduced to the Pitts n' Spitts smoker pit, depending on how long the power is out.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:01 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chasbondy
i think i need a phd in cryptology just to figure out what is being said
+1
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat

And wasn't this the Miami/Ft Lauderdale Doom and Gloom thread as recently as yesterday?
His name is Browning and he's a mean one.

That reminds me, I need to update my preparedness kit with a fresh box of shells.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:03 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Boy Scout

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Browning .270

The bear-sized raccoons we've been fattening with cat food for the past few years might get introduced to the Pitts n' Spitts smoker pit, depending on how long the power is out.
Very far-sighted, Otter. Fattening up those raccoons for just such an emergency. Were you a Boy Scout?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:06 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:20 pm
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
What if one rents in Georgia (or any other State), and terminates in Florida, or vice-versa?
I just did a dummy booking with National for a pick up in FLL with a drop in ATL, and while the daily rate was high ($99.99 for a full size during the week), there was no separate drop charge involved.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA and HH
My dogs name is Benelli, she is afraid of storms.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Very far-sighted, Otter. Fattening up those raccoons for just such an emergency. Were you a Boy Scout?
Actually, yes... then I turned 14 and discovered beer, and all the other things that would seriously jeopardize one's remaining in good-standing with that fine organization.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Wish I knew how to (or was able to) link to a specific time-stamped tracking map, but...

The latest five-day tracking map (from Weather Underground) issued at 5pm EST shows Ike to be trending ever so slightly more southward, now with a direct hit just slightly north of Corpus.
National Hurricane Center Track shows a landfall somewhere near Palacios/El Campo. If it hits there as a 3, Houston will receive a pretty hard hit from the NE Corner (dirty side) of the storm. A 3 making landfall in Corpus would likely be pretty nasty in some parts of Houston.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
The weather people call it the cone of "uncertainty". Shouldn't it be the cone of "certainty"? The probability statement would be something like: "at this time, there is a 95% chance that the hurricane will hit somewhere in this cone". Because the "cone" is simply a composite estimate based on dozens of different forecasting models, it will be updated at least 3 or 4 times a day.

We'll definitely have to wait until the hurricane is completely past Cuba and within 72 hours of landfall. The cones are much more accurate at that point.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
We'll definitely have to wait until the hurricane is completely past Cuba and within 72 hours of landfall. The cones are much more accurate at that point.
The time for pants-wetting and irrational collective fearmongering is now! Carpe Stolide!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Anyone think I'll be able to do MFE-IAH-AUS this Saturday morning?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
Anyone think I'll be able to do MFE-IAH-AUS this Saturday morning?
Hope you like WN or AA.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Weather Waiver info now available

I can't believe IAH is not in the list of cities getting the waiver.

Here is the list: Baton Rouge, LA (BTR); Beaumont, TX (BPT); Brownsville, TX (BRO); Corpus Christi, TX (CRP); Gulfport/Biloxi, MS (GPT); Harlingen, TX (HRL); Lafayette, LA (LFT); Lake Charles, LA (LCH); McAllen, TX (MFE); Mobile, AL (MOB); New Orleans, LA (MSY); Alexandria, LA (AEX); Victoria, TX (VCT);

Change fee for travel to/from/through the listed cities are waived. Unfortunately, not IAH.

ND
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I can't believe IAH is not in the list of cities getting the waiver.

Here is the list: Baton Rouge, LA (BTR); Beaumont, TX (BPT); Brownsville, TX (BRO); Corpus Christi, TX (CRP); Gulfport/Biloxi, MS (GPT); Harlingen, TX (HRL); Lafayette, LA (LFT); Lake Charles, LA (LCH); McAllen, TX (MFE); Mobile, AL (MOB); New Orleans, LA (MSY); Alexandria, LA (AEX); Victoria, TX (VCT);

Change fee for travel to/from/through the listed cities are waived. Unfortunately, not IAH.

ND
From a bean-counter's perspective, it makes perfect sense. There are lots of beans at IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.