Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Seeking advice and counsel to maximize the value of a ACT/IAH/LCH non-refundable RT DPT Wednesday PM/RTN Friday PM.

I could simply cancel now and lose a big change fee...$175??

I could wait until Wednesday afternoon and hope that one of the two legs ACT/IAH or IAH/LCH was CNXed and maybe get a full refund or full value voucher.

I could go, risk being stranded (days until the next flight, and them already fully booked), and get very windblown and wet hitchhiking home in the midst or on the edge of a big blow.

Unfortunately, I can't get Mother nature to send the storm ashore quickly enough to get the Wednesday flights CNXed

Your incomparable experience and wise counsel sought.....
Just wait for the weather waiver. If you're lucky, they will issue it by Wednesday morning.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Seeking advice and counsel to maximize the value of a ACT/IAH/LCH non-refundable RT DPT Wednesday PM/RTN Friday PM.

I could simply cancel now and lose a big change fee...$175??

I could wait until Wednesday afternoon and hope that one of the two legs ACT/IAH or IAH/LCH was CNXed and maybe get a full refund or full value voucher.

I could go, risk being stranded (days until the next flight, and them already fully booked), and get very windblown and wet hitchhiking home in the midst or on the edge of a big blow.

Unfortunately, I can't get Mother nature to send the storm ashore quickly enough to get the Wednesday flights CNXed

Your incomparable experience and wise counsel sought.....
LCH isn't that far from IAH. If things get bad, just get a rental car and drive. I did it last year during a tropical storm.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:14 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:20 pm
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by Hartmann
LCH isn't that far from IAH. If things get bad, just get a rental car and drive. I did it last year during a tropical storm.
I never wrote this, but the meeting I was flying down to speak to has been cancelled, so I don't "need" to go at all....
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Not to sidetrack, but how hard is it to rent a car for a one-way journey (whether during tropical weather events or not)?
Very easy. There are just extra fees involved.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Not to sidetrack, but how hard is it to rent a car for a one-way journey (whether during tropical weather events or not)?
I did a roundtrip so I am not sure. I would bet there are extra fees involved - looks like sdm1130 beat me to it.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
The weather channel is hyping this one to the hilt to the point they almost have me ready to board up my house in San Diego. I guess 2 years of no hurricanes (or ratings) have them in hyper mode. It's also amusing to see Miss Biddy broadcast from the beach wondering why surfers are out in the water enjoying the waves, as if she should be the only one on that beach.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I'm a frequent one-way renter. I've noticed that (with National), the one-way fee is generally lower if you rent from a Non-Airport location and return to an Airport location. I often do that, as renting one-way to get to the airport from Work is cheaper than taking a cab. FYI - National has a location in Downtown Houston, at the Doubletree located at Dallas/Bagby.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:47 pm
Suspended

I booked a one way rental in Florida for December two months ago, with no one-way fee. I saw a cheaper rate and was ready to book it, until a $50 one way fee popped up. So, one way fees might be SOP now?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by chasbondy
I booked a one way rental in Florida for December two months ago, with no one-way fee. I saw a cheaper rate and was ready to book it, until a $50 one way fee popped up. So, one way fees might be SOP now?
Florida is strange. A lot of rates there with various agencies don't incur one-way fees, others do. I'm not entirely sure how it works in Florida. They are an oddball rental market when compared to the other lower 48.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Florida is strange. A lot of rates there with various agencies don't incur one-way fees, others do. I'm not entirely sure how it works in Florida. They are an oddball rental market when compared to the other lower 48.
If I recall correctly, it is illegal to charge one-way rental fees in Florida.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:57 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
My looting preparedness kit is ready.
Glock, Smith and Wesson, Benelli, what is it?

And wasn't this the Miami/Ft Lauderdale Doom and Gloom thread as recently as yesterday?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CO 1E
If I recall correctly, it is illegal to charge one-way rental fees in Florida.
What if one rents in Georgia (or any other State), and terminates in Florida, or vice-versa?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Seeking advice and counsel to maximize the value of a ACT/IAH/LCH non-refundable RT DPT Wednesday PM/RTN Friday PM.....
I think I need a Phd in cryptology just to figure out what is being said
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What if one rents in Georgia (or any other State), and terminates in Florida, or vice-versa?
Offhand, I do not know, but I will make a dummy booking from Florida to GA and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.