Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Baggage question for Air France stopover flight

Old Sep 4, 2008, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club

I am gold elite and heading out on my first international trip this Saturday. Woo hoo!

Anyways, I spoke with customer care and they indicated that I am allowed two bags weighing 70 LBS each. I am flying a rewards ticket that is is CO CLE-EWR-CDG stopover in France for a week, then Air France CDG-BCN and finally CO BCN-EWR-CLE.

My question that the rep was not able to answer is what will happen with 70 pound bags on the Air France leg? Are they supposed to respect the CO rules since I am flying on a rewards ticket, or will there be an extra charge.

I am going to call AF, but I would like know the correct answer before I talk to them, so I turn to my friendly FT experts for the solution.

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:17 am
Suspended

sorry I dont know the answer

However when you call AF do NOT give them your PNR, the last thing you want is for some CSR to put a note onto your record that you were told youd have to pay for anything over 50 lbs.

I believe as an ST Elite (CO Gold) you can check in at AFs Biz counter, Im a CO Plat so I have no problems doing that. They are less likely to hassle you at the Biz counter L 'Espace Affaires

You are allowed 2 bags each even for the CDG-BCN flight since youre on an Intl tkt. Otherwsie its 1 bag and I think 32 lbs

I assume the only way they would let 70 lbs go w/o payment is if they themselves have such benefits for their Golds. Remember its a CO benefit, just as a 3rd bag for those in BF is, so what CO allows other ST members need not.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: CO Plat (thanks to FT), UA 1P, AA
Based on a recent experience on a CO award on AZ BCN-FCO-OTP, it does not matter who ticketed you, but just who you are flying. So I believe you only get the benefits corresponding to Skyteam Elite.
I do not think that the extra baggage allowance is a Skyteam benefit, it is only on the airline you are Elite on.
Also, if the AF segment is not part of a single CDG-BCN-EWR-CLE (that is, if you are staying more than 24hrs. in BCN) then the intra-Europe baggage allowances need to be used, and this would be 20kg per PAX (about 44lb), regardless of number of pieces, and I think a 7kg carry-on (and in some places they do weight it). The "2-pieces" only applies if that segment is part of your trip to the US without any more stopovers...

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but should allow you to prepare better! At least this last summer, AZ's overweight fee was 12 Euros per kg!

Edited to add:

craz usually has much better info than me, so with any conflicting point, just trust him!

Last edited by enmascarado; Sep 4, 2008 at 8:21 am Reason: Adding info...
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enmascarado
Based on a recent experience on a CO award on AZ BCN-FCO-OTP, it does not matter who ticketed you, but just who you are flying. So I believe you only get the benefits corresponding to Skyteam Elite.
I do not think that the extra baggage allowance is a Skyteam benefit, it is only on the airline you are Elite on.
Also, if the AF segment is not part of a single CDG-BCN-EWR-CLE (that is, if you are staying more than 24hrs. in BCN) then the intra-Europe baggage allowances need to be used, and this would be 20kg per PAX (about 44lb), regardless of number of pieces, and I think a 7kg carry-on (and in some places they do weight it). The "2-pieces" only applies if that segment is part of your trip to the US without any more stopovers...

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but should allow you to prepare better! At least this last summer, AZ's overweight fee was 12 Euros per kg!

Edited to add:

craz usually has much better info than me, so with any conflicting point, just trust him!
As I posted I agree with you about the 70 lbs only being a CO benefit, thats why I said check in at the Biz counter if a CO Gold can do so, with AF

I do disagree with the 1 bag limit CDG-BCN even with a stay over 24 hrs, I believe what governs the baggage allowed is the Intl rules, had the OP had a separate CDG-BCN tkt then youd be 1000% correct. Since its all on 1 tkt and an Intl 1 at that the rule goes according to what a US-CDG tkt would allow, which is 2 bags. The only question is if you can get away with more then 50 lbs per bag.

I have flown many a time with a stop over in Europe of more then 24 hrs and never was charged for a 2nd bag, when I was continuing on to my final destination. Nor for my way back to the US, if I was stopping over as well,leaving on my initial segment to Europe.

I did have problems a couple of times when I was using 2 different tkts. 1-US-Europe,2nd Europe- final destination. When I was leaving my final des they wouldnt allow me to check 2 bags w/o paying for the 2nd even thou I was connecting and Not staying over in Europe. they said if you want to check 2 bags then you must be on a TATL tkt which I wasnt, I showed them my 2nd tkt and they said OK then pay for the bag to LHR and then claim your bags and recheck them and you wont have to pay for the LHR-US flight

Last edited by craz; Sep 4, 2008 at 8:35 am
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
Ok, thanks for the info. Unfortuneately, its about what I expected. I am going to call AF after work and ensure I do not provide any identifying info.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Typically intra-Europe flights go by the weight concept for baggage (20 kg economy/30 kg business), not pieces like in the U.S. (e.g., 2 pc).

I have a feeling that they're going to go by the weight concept for the intra-Europe flights if you have to recheck your bag (20 kg/44 lbs) since you're not connecting to a TATL flight.

Extra bag fees on AF are very steep (EUR 12,00 per kg). A 70-lb bag would be 12 kg over, so I would expect 12 kg would cost you EUR 144 (or about $205 today). Any second bag would cost you per kg as well.

I don't know what you're bringing, but honestly I've never come close to a U.S. baggage allowance. On our last trip we packed 2 bags totalling 66 lbs (33 lbs each) for a 10-day trip for two people. Meanwhile Delta was willing to allow us 3 bags each at 70 lbs (420 lbs combined!) since we were flying BusinessElite.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:38 am

Inter-europe flights can be a pain with heavy bags, though in my experience there is less of an issue if you are flying within Skyteam. I currently take AF-coded flights on MA and MA usually always gives me grief about my heavy bag (I am usually here for 3 weeks at a time). So, I schlep over to AF, pay my fee, and get on with life. My last trip incurred about a $60 fee.

I tend, however, to agree with Channa that I rarely come close to weight limits when I am on holiday trips.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:39 am

I have flown this type of OnePass reward ticket about 20 times, with stopovers in Paris or Amsterdam and then a few days later continuing on to other cities in Europe.

The transAtlantic baggage allowance applies for the entire trip (that is, 2 checked bags), even after the stopover. I've never been charged extra, or had any check-in agents make any fuss or even attempt to say I was over the baggage limit.

As far as I know, though, the limit is 50 pounds per bag. Stay under that and you'll be OK.

Then you can laugh as the poor guys flying on intra-Europe tickets on your same flight try to stay within their 20 kilo limits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.