FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Tomorrow is [2-Sep-2008], massive ramp down of domestic schedule (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/861575-tomorrow-2-sep-2008-massive-ramp-down-domestic-schedule.html)

fozz Sep 3, 08 2:35 pm

I would also add that fare rules can limit what flights a particular fare applies to.

A great example are some EWR-West coast routes where a connection in IAH adds a few hundreds to the price while the nonstops are pretty reasonable. (Though, UA does just the opposite where the nonstops have a premium attached to them). Though this is all dependent on time of ticketing and yada yada yada. :)

doobierw Sep 3, 08 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by supermasterphil (Post 10302645)
doobierw, maybe you can also enlighten the following for me/us.

What happens with the crew of CO110 that worked on last nights flight? EWR-CGN?

Will they deadhunt home CO111 of today or will the take a flight tomorrow by the way of AMS or take a train to FRA or something?

Had to look that one up in the EWR bid packet for September......

The crew that flew the outbound on September 2nd (arriving A.M. on the 3rd), went over and connected to a Lufthansa flight to Hamburg at 1115. They layover in HAM until the 4th and will deadhead back to EWR from there.

Returning to EWR on the 3rd (as someone suggested) would be a rest issue as they'd be on duty for about 20+ hours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Separately, there was a discussion on scope and why it's a big issue for each pilot group. Here's a real life example that is playing out this afternoon over at Midwest......

MILWAUKEE—....Midwest announced that Republic flightcrews would fly 12 EMB 170s as Midwest Connect, beginning October 1, 2008, directly replacing all but nine of the Boeing 717 aircraft flown by Midwest pilots.

“This is catastrophic news for our pilot group and for all Midwest employees. Management’s plan to replace all but nine of our B-717s with EMB 170s and replace Midwest pilots with Republic pilots will have a devastating impact—raising the number of Midwest pilots who are out of work to approximately 300 of the some 400 pilots who were employed.....

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/midwest-pilots-express-outrage-airlines/story.aspx?guid={02C7CA1D-911E-4BD1-B3F3-35D906C729F5}&dist=hppr

DRW :cool:

Xyzzy Sep 3, 08 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by doobierw (Post 10307541)
Had to look that one up in the EWR bid packet for September......

The crew that flew the outbound on September 2nd (arriving A.M. on the 3rd), went over and connected to a Lufthansa flight to Hamburg at 1115. They layover in HAM until the 4th and will deadhead back to EWR from there.

Returning to EWR on the 3rd (as someone suggested) would be a rest issue as they'd be on duty for about 20+ hours.

I'm not sure about the rest of the crew, but the pilots went back with us today (the 3rd) on CO111. I think they wanted to hang around for a couple of days but shortly before departure they were directed by whoever does scheduling to return as passengers on the flight back.

doobierw Sep 3, 08 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 10307877)
I'm not sure about the rest of the crew, but the pilots went back with us today (the 3rd) on CO111. I think they wanted to hang around for a couple of days but shortly before departure they were directed by whoever does scheduling to return as passengers on the flight back.

That's called a 'fake' deadhead, and as aircrew we are allowed to elect that option. Scheduling cannot work us into our required rest period, but we are allowed to waive rest and take a deadhead back on our own.

I've worked the last Amsterdam of the season where we flew the leg over and were then scheduled to deadhead back the following day. The Captain took the fake deadhead back, staying on the aircraft we brought in. I elected to go to the hotel and get a good day's sleep and enjoy a day in Amsterdam.

Again.....it's only something we can voluntarily initiate. Scheduling cannot make us work past our duty day and into our rest period.

DRW :cool:

(Did you have that Kolsch for me??)

COFlyerCLE Sep 4, 08 3:44 pm

It was so, so sad to fly into CLE today to see 12 ExpressJet COEX ERJs mothballed and parked.

Just sad.

Let's hope this, too, shall pass.

Xyzzy Sep 4, 08 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by doobierw (Post 10307981)
Again.....it's only something we can voluntarily initiate. Scheduling cannot make us work past our duty day and into our rest period.

That's interesting. I thought the crew was trying to get *off* the return flight but I guess they were trying to get on!

(Did you have that Kolsch for me??)
But of course -- Gaffel Kölsch to be more precise!

pricklycomedian Sep 4, 08 5:31 pm

Really bummed to lose EWR-SJC direct. CO had already ramped down service previously, but it was very convenient when I had business in the San Jose area to fly in and not to bother with a car. SFO and rentals for me from now on.

pc

supermasterphil Sep 5, 08 5:53 am

doobierw
, thanks for the insight!

jg70124 Sep 5, 08 6:56 am

Ewr-msy?

Originally Posted by rkkwan (Post 10294527)
Meanwhile, Newark will:

- lose frequencies to ... MSY ...

Which flights are going away? I see 3x/day in Nov, Dec, Jan - AFAIK, that's what it has been all year. The days of 4x/day ended last year, I think.

jmr50 Sep 5, 08 6:46 pm

Wow, this pretty much makes CO useless out of IAD... bummer.