Continental OnePass Account Suspended

Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by macabus
Yup, already confirmed the address.

Couldn't find a Ms. Guttierez at CO , though.
It's Gutierrez, that's why. She definitely exists
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: OnePass, Priority Club, many others
Hey, I'm new to these forums. This thread interested me enough to make my first post, so here goes.

First comment is: Your full name and OnePass number are printed on both halves of the boarding pass. This means that even if you are super careful with your boarding passes, your info can still get out there if the gate person is not super careful, too. (Personally I have looked on the floor near the gate more than a few times, just to see one half of a boarding pass sitting there for all to see. Once someone has this info, they could guess at your PIN number, trying all the usual easy guess methods (1234, 1111, 2222,birthdays, yourname spelled on the phonepad, etc). Moral of the story: don't pick a PIN that is easy to guess.

Second comment is: I have also heard cries of "I've been hacked" many times in my life, whether it is bank accounts, online games, or even forum IDs. Invariably, this is because the person gave out account information to someone else. The OP has stated that he gave his travel agent his onepass number and PIN. Did the travel agent memorize it? (answer: no). If he didn't memorize it, then he probably wrote it down. If he wrote it down, it can be lost/stolen/copied by anyone who walks in the agency. Moral of the story: Don't give away PIN/Password to anyone, ever.

Thirdly: A couple of you need to give the OP a break. He posted his first post 4-5 days ago, he responded on this thread, he responded again, and he stated that he wrote to Continental and it will take a few days to get an answer. Of COURSE he isn't going to be posting 10 times in 4 days. (If he did, you same people would complain he was spamming without any new info.)

Assuming this is a real scenario, it would be much more productive for the forum users here to brainstorm about how it would be possible for CO to "catch" someone trying to sell miles on Craigslist. For clarification: I don't sell miles or the tickets from miles or anything like that. Rather, like a couple of the posters here, I'm concerned that someone would get my info and try to sell my miles or set me up to lose them, or whatever.

Personally, I cannot think of anything that would lead CO to this particular onepass member, aside from posting his onepass account number in the post. Any other ideas?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Does someone think OP's travel agent has something to do with this?
Only because the OP indicated or FTers ruled out just about any other reason.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Now that Scott is back from Vanuatu, I hope that he comments on this...
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks GMTminusFive
I wrote and sent a certified letter to CO on September 1, but so far, they have not replied or contacted me in anyway. Let's see how long they take. I will update if I have anything to share.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:01 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by zoro2008
Thanks GMTminusFive
I wrote and sent a certified letter to CO on September 1, but so far, they have not replied or contacted me in anyway. Let's see how long they take. I will update if I have anything to share.
Thanks -- please do keep us in the loop.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

So it's been almost a month since I wrote to CO about my account and they have not responded. Today I got a rewards brochure in the mail just stating my miles and how to redeem and earn rewards. I go online to access my account, and the pin doesn't work. I called the automated account info line, and it does state my correct miles, but will not allow me to change pin. I spoke to CO rep and he said my account isD permanently closed and have to write to that same address as in the previous letter. I explained the whole situation, and he says he cannot do anything, I just need to write. So what do I do next? Should I write again? They don't even bother to respond.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zoro2008
So it's been almost a month since I wrote to CO about my account and they have not responded. Today I got a rewards brochure in the mail just stating my miles and how to redeem and earn rewards. I go online to access my account, and the pin doesn't work. I called the automated account info line, and it does state my correct miles, but will not allow me to change pin. I spoke to CO rep and he said my account isD permanently closed and have to write to that same address as in the previous letter. I explained the whole situation, and he says he cannot do anything, I just need to write. So what do I do next? Should I write again? They don't even bother to respond.
At this point I'd contact CO Insider for further follow-up.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
wow. Im shocked this hasn't been resolved yet.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by njxbean
wow. Im shocked this hasn't been resolved yet.
+1 - you would think that even if OP didn't get the answer they wanted, that at least the matter would have closed.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
+1 - you would think that even if OP didn't get the answer they wanted, that at least the matter would have closed.
Yeah, it seems pretty obvious to me. Continental can take all your miles (even though you never redeemed _any_ of them), close your FF account, and never ever tell you why or respond to you in any way.

I'll certainly never throw any money Continental's way in the future. I suggest the OP do the same. The matter can now be considered closed
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
While we do not know the whole story, I too am surprised this has not been resolved yet. On the other hand, it may already be resolved, as far at CO is concerned.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:12 am

Advice given is correct -- contact Continental IF you didn't do what they say you've

Originally Posted by ralfp
Irrespective of the OP's situation, this makes me wonder how CO could identify someone selling miles (I assume as tickets) via Craigslist. Assuming the seller isn't stupid enough to provide ID in the ad; I imagine that the transaction would be caught at the airport via an admission on the purchaser's part. Either that, or CO "goes undercover" and tries to buy the miles.
Actually I truly believe that "craigslist" was substituted by OP for eBay.

There's been many who have offered Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus mileage, and Continental OnePass mileage and or account access and pin's on eBay, in violation of the specific airlines TOS.

What MOST buyers and sellers may not be aware of is that eBay WILL provide both buyer and seller contact information to the specific airline revenue protection unit(s) which in turn can easily be compared with information in the airlines' frequent flyer program databases.

This happened to a co-worker who made an error in judgment in selling their unused ff accounts on eBay and also to a neighbor who made an error in judgment by buying mileage on eBay, got award tix with said mileage and found tix voided when attempting to board for an international flight.

Adding insult to injury, both eBay and Paypal WILL NOT cover either buyer or seller losses on these kind of transactions because they are considered a breach of third-party contract for which eBay doesn't accept liabilities IF the airlines doesn't honor the transaction, and has a specific disclaimer in place warning the buyers of travel items such as mileage, certificates, vouchers, tickets etc --

I'm sorry that this happened to the OP, and by no means defending the airlines for their punitive action(s), however we all agreed to the rules when we all joined the specific frequent flyer programs AND I do know that BEFORE the airlines contact a person or writes such a letter as OP describes, that they usually have their FACTS done pat.

OTOH, Perhaps someone OP knows and may have some disagreement with
in the recent past may have access to some of OP's personal information and
set OP up for this fall ... BUT how would THAT person(s) get access to your PIN NUMBER to USE the account is the interesting unanswered question...

At any rate, without my re-writing the Pauline epistles, I sincerely DO wish the OP luck -- and indeed, ADVICE GIVEN here by other FT'ers IS CORRECT.
PLEASE DO contact the Continental headquarters person mentioned in a calm tone and professional manner, asking for a complete review of the situation,
outlining what you disagree with and what you'd like to see happen.

PLEASE do post the results of what happens.

Again good luck to OP

As for matter NOT being resolved as of yet, sometimes this sort of thing can take 60-90 days to reinvestigate and make final determination.... just DON'T LET THE MATTER DROP!

Last edited by Boston_Bulldog; Oct 6, 2008 at 1:00 am
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Any Word From Scott

Has COInsider ever commented on this thread

I think many are curious about the facts
Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:31 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
Has COInsider ever commented on this thread

I think many are curious about the facts
Hi CHIC SILBER, when it comes to OnePass fraud (or alleged OnePass fraud), it isn't appropriate for us to comment in a public forum. Matters such as this require correspondence in writing between Continental and the member. I will say that the correspondence in this particular matter was delayed at least a week due to Hurricane Ike.

We take our OnePass terms and conditions very seriously, and I can assure you, whenever we suspend an account due to a violation of these terms, we have a solid case for doing so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.