Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental OnePass Account Suspended

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:51 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
I see the character assination squad has taken no time in showing up.

Just an FYI, many IBBs use VBB (the software that runs FT) and the commands are nearly the same. For example yours truly posts on a few other boards which also use it and I like to think my posts - my first posts - made over there are formatted at least half way decently.

That said I don't know what happened, who's in the wrong here, all the facts, etc. BUT I HAVE A REAL PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE SMUGGING OFF OTHERS JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE NEW.

We were all new here once and being new alone does not constitute a black mark against someone. Unless of course some posters here never made it past Kindergarten.

I suggest we give zoro2008 the benefit of the doubt for the time being. If s/he's a trickster it'll come out down the line (and not in someone's post count.)

To that end I suggest those who're are interested focus their efforts on the events surrounding the suspension of the OP account, not the new status of the poster.

Last edited by J.Edward; Sep 1, 2008 at 11:12 am
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS; DL MM; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Avis First
Originally Posted by J.Edward
I see the character assination squad has taken no time in showing up.

Just an FYI, many IBBs use VBB (the software that runs FT) and the commands are nearly the same. For example yours truly posts on a few other boards which also use it and I like to think my posts - my first posts - made over there are formatted at least half way decently.

That said I don't know what happened, who's in the wrong here, all the facts, etc. BUT I HAVE A REAL PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE SMUGGING OFF OTHERS JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE NEW.

We were all new here once and being new alone does not constitute a black mark against someone. Unless of course some posters here never made it past Kindergarten.

I suggest we give zoro2008 the benefit of the doubt for the time being. If s/he's a trickster it'll come out down the line (and not in someone's post count.)

To that end I suggest those who're are interested focus their efforts on the events surrounding the suspension of the OP account, not the new status of the poster.
+1.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for replies and comments. For people who are considered about my "anonymous self," what do you want to know? Do you want to know my name, address, home phone, and life history? Sure, I will share it with you, and in return you better tell me all about yourself.

I came here for help, since something like this never happened to me before. I will update on the situation, and willing to contribute to other posts, if I have something useful to say. I hardly travel, so even if I was to sell my account, I would not be interested in making measly $100-$200.

No, I have never shared my email with anyone, but I have had my email and amazon account hacked before. I know people have spyware on computers.

Last edited by zoro2008; Aug 30, 2008 at 12:31 pm
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
Irrespective of the OP's situation, this makes me wonder how CO could identify someone selling miles (I assume as tickets) via Craigslist. Assuming the seller isn't stupid enough to provide ID in the ad; I imagine that the transaction would be caught at the airport via an admission on the purchaser's part. Either that, or CO "goes undercover" and tries to buy the miles.
Of course CO monitors Craig's List and eBay.

Think about it... It would take very little time for someone at CO to make a search every few days to see if someone is advertising OnePass miles for sale.

Most people who are thinking of selling miles probably have hundreds of thousands just stacking up in their accounts.

So, here's a way for CO to enforce their policies and they can wipe out large mileage balances as a result. - A sizeable punitive fine if you will.

Another possibility is that someone from CO is actually the OP and is trying to show FlyerTalk members what the penalty is for selling miles.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:20 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by zoro2008
Thanks for replies and comments. For people who are considered about my "anonymous self," what do you want to know? Do you want to know my name, address, home phone, and life history?
I think account history would be more helpful, esp. for what/whom you used your miles, the approximate balance before this event, etc.

For example, did you perhaps give your spouse/friend/friend's friend a ticket? If someone shows up at the airport with a legitimately gifted (and talented) ticket, but is unaware of who they got it from (friend of a friend/relative), then you might get in trouble.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I had close to 40k miles in my account. I have had my account since 7 years. Neither my family or I travel much, so no, I never bought or sold a ticket for anyone else. I have never redeemed my miles for anything. The only activity was when I bought things online to earn miles. I searched ebay and craigslist, and found numerous people selling miles. If continental is really checking, why are these people still selling ?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: CO Silver, Miles and More Silver
I hardly travel, so even if I was to sell my account, I would not be interested in making measly $100-$200.
Hello and welcome to FT!

I am sorry this has happend. Did CO specify which add on Craigs list? I would want to check that out to see if this is your account or if there has been a mistake on your ID.

I think you should fight this as far as you can. I have had great luck with CO and I am surprised this happen.

please keep us updated
Old Aug 30, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
strange things can happen. About a month ago, I was served the wrong cookie by CO, giving me access to someone else's account. Before you ask, no, it wasn't a shared computer, it was a new computer at work, not a hot-swap, and the name listed in the account doesn't work for the same company.

Sure. I could have done stuff, but that is 't really my style.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 4:30 pm

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
Thinking about this some more, something really bothers me about this which should bother a lot of people here, and it is the opening line from the OP's email:
It has recently come to our attention that mileage from your account was to be sold on the Craig's List site.
Doesn't it strike anyone as too harsh that CO is taking Craiglist at face value? Seriously, craigslist (c.f. here, here, here). I can think of several scenarios that would lead to someone posting an ad with someones info (find a BP in the trash and try to make a quick score, a jilted lover or unscrupulous co-worker that knows your info and is trying to make a fast one while you're gone, a typo'ed OP number). CO should never delete someones account based on a craigslist posting. Put a watch on it, wait to see if there's suspicious activity, or freeze it pending a discussing with the customer, but the potential for scams and general dishonesty on craigslist is too high to simply delete someone's account based over it.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Unlike everywhere else in America, with CO, you are presumed guilty until proven innocent. It is way beyond them to push 10 numbers on a telephone pad and discuss the matter with you first, before grabbing your account
Old Aug 30, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
I had close to 40k miles in my account. I have had my account since 7 years. Neither my family or I travel much, so no, I never bought or sold a ticket for anyone else. I have never redeemed my miles for anything. The only activity was when I bought things online to earn miles. I searched ebay and craigslist, and found numerous people selling miles. If continental is really checking, why are these people still selling ?
This doesn't quite make sense...I'm not necessarily questioning your story, just trying to sort it out.

I guess the question is exactly how you got tied to the Craigslist ad. Unlike eBay, all anyone needs to sign up for and post on Craigslist is an e-mail address...no name, no address, etc. I just don't see how Continental could tie you to the ad unless there was a transaction and redemption. Let's assume we're dealing with a hacker. Continental sees the ad and contacts the person who posted it and...what next? I am assuming that CO doesn't routinely pay hundreds of dollars upfront to catch people selling FF miles. And what hacker is going to give out your name/FF number/log in info before any money had traded hands? That's not the best way to make a buck.

And that is why it doesn't add up.

So here are some possibilities:

Maybe there was a keystroke error and your FF number is one off from the actual seller, or some other random clerical error. Maybe you have the same name as the actual seller and they pulled up your account by mistake. Or maybe you have a really bitter ex

Or...someone did manage to hack your account and showed up at the airport to try and redeem miles. When they were told CO needed your confirmation to redeem the scammer got nervous, made the excuse that they had bought the miles off Craigslist and had no way to get ahold of you, and high tailed it out of there before more questions were asked. But even in this unlikely scenario one would think Continental would contact you as a security measure rather than assuming you were in on it and suspending your account arbitrarily.

Well the best thing to do is use the contact info your were given, state your case, and demand proof so you can determine what happened. As AMF IN NJ said, it's surprising that Continental would take such a hardline approach based on a Craiglist ad alone, and not knowing what else they have to tie you to the ad it all seems rather strange indeed. I'll be interested in hearing what CO has to say...
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:27 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by IrishRed
I'll be interested in hearing what CO has to say...
+1
My problem is I have never listed, sold, or transferrd my account to anyone, not even on any website. I traveled recently out of the country, and just came back. I am angry that continental has taken this action without even asking me, and someone might have hacked into my account. I called their onepass customer center, and they said they cannot tell me anything, and I need to contact "Belinda Gutierrez." I will write a letter to them. What else should I do? I am just pissed that I am being accused of something that I haven't even done.
Just so I'm clear the timeline went like this:
  • 7 years of low activity; amassed ~40,000 miles
  • x/x/08: leave US via CO flight
  • y/y/08: return to US via CO flight
  • z/z/08: receive a certified mailing about your OP account
  • contact OPSC, told to contact Gutierrez
  • post on FT
Is it possible that someone might have been able to grab documentation with both your OP number and address (or other personal information)...maybe a discarded immigration form, paper onepass statement from the mail, or something like that?

My guess as to what's going here is either a clerical error's been made by CO (not likely, but not impossible IMHO) or someone scrapped together enough personal information without zoro2008 knowing, posted an ad to craigslist with enough information for CO to trace the account back to zoro and then suspend it.

If you do follow up please let us know what happens.

Good luck.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by J.Edward
My guess as to what's going here is either a clerical error's been made by CO (not likely, but not impossible IMHO) or someone scrapped together enough personal information without zoro2008 knowing, posted an ad to craigslist with enough information for CO to trace the account back to zoro and then suspend it.
A paper OnePass statement (or even letter that comes with a Chase CC application) could lead to a CL ad with a specific number of miles available in a transaction . . .
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: Il Postino della PWP, CO, TrueBlue, Priority Club
Another scenario I thought of was if the OP checked in at a public terminal and didn't properly log out/clear the cache and someone that came in afterward and saw their info. Not highly probable, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could happen. Just another reason to not ban someone based on a craigslist post.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA, BA, B9
Originally Posted by macabus
]
Another possibility is that someone from CO is actually the OP and is trying to show FlyerTalk members what the penalty is for selling miles.
...or that it's actually a genuine person trying to get assistance. I can't believe people are serious questioning the legitimacy of zoro2008's statement when they haven't a shred of evidence despite certain users' noses and that Zoro2008 apparently like to use proper grammar on an internet forum.

As to the matter at hand: follow it up, and follow it hard. Write a thorough and complete letter and mail it out as soon as possible. Also save a copy of the letter and possibly some kind of evidence as to the send date for yourself (just in case CO tries to pull a time-limit excuse on you). Keep calling, too. You have the person's name so you should be able to get in touch with either her or her office. Don't take 'no' for an answer. The situation certainly seems too harsh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.