CO 36 half-day delay - anyone know why?

Old Aug 12, 08, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
CO 36 half-day delay - anyone know why?

CO36 usually leaves Newark around 7:50 PM and gets to Edinburgh around 7:50 AM. I just glanced at the flight tracker and last night's showed as having left Newark this morning, and gotten to Edinburgh at 9-something tonight. Flytecomm said it was scheduled to do that (It's not a delay, it's a "schedule change" )... but I don't know what caused it. Anyone?
Old Aug 12, 08, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this isnt the case according to co.com, http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...&FLD=8/11/2008

listed today for a 7:50pm departure as well
Old Aug 12, 08, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz View Post
this isnt the case according to co.com, http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...&FLD=8/11/2008

listed today for a 7:50pm departure as well
Yeah, for yesterday's CO shows:

Departure - Scheduled Time: 7:50 p.m., Actual Time: 10:15 a.m.
Arrival - Scheduled Time: 7:50 a.m., Actual Time: 9:49 p.m.

I'm guessing maybe it had something to do with the bad weather in EWR mentioned in that other thread...
Old Aug 12, 08, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so much for whatever site the OP used the 36 left EWR tonight @ 8:09pm 19 mins late and should get @ 7:55am 5 mins late

for those who wish to see for themselves:http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...37;2f11%2f2008

for those who couldnt care dont click
Old Aug 12, 08, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, craz, but as noted in all of my posts, I am talking about last night's CO 36, which didn't leave until this morning.

That's the 2008-08-11 iteration of the flight, not the 2008-08-12 one you keep talking about. And both FlyteComm and Continental.com say it didn't leave 'til this morning (and didn't arrive 'til this evening, when it should have arrived this morning).

Yes, today's is relatively on-time. And most times I've taken it, it's been relatively on-time. But if you're going to make dismissive remarks about other users here, the data they present, or the sources of that data, please read for comprehension first.

I'd still be interested in any more in-depth information on what happened the night of the 11th in Newark that resulted in CO 36 not leaving until the morning of the 12th. My wild guess is bad weather leading to ground stop, leading to crew timeouts, or something like that.
Old Aug 12, 08, 8:33 pm

EWR has had a shortage of reserve 757 pilots most of this month. IAH crews have been covering several of the open trips to Europe. The past few days the reserve coverage was down to one or zero pilots and I've seen some LGW, CDG, EDI trips still not covered on the afternoon of departure.

Not sure if that was part of the problem, but wouldn't surprise me if it was a 'looking for a pilot to fly the trip' issue.

DRW
Old Aug 12, 08, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
My guess would also be crew timeout - but also possibly no equipment. EWR was screwed yesterday as bad thunderstorms went through in the late morning. That's about the worst time for it to happen to EWR because it then delays every outbound aircraft going to outstations and it prevents aircraft destined for EWR to take off. So basically you wind up with a schedule that can't possibly be adhered to for the entire day.

I was on CO1481 last night (740p EWR-SEA) and we wound up leaving ~9:15pm. Our plane was inbound from PHX and was held in PHX for 2 hours due to ATC.

As for EDI, I don't remember seeing a 12 hour delay on the board last night. I enjoy watching the departure information screens at EWR during bad weather. There were several cancellations but they were all RJ's. Most flights were 2 hours delayed with a lot of 4-6 hour delays as well. The widebodies and international flights, as usual, had the smallest of the delays and several left as close to on time as possible (some were held to allow late connecting passengers).

CO16 (EWR-GLA) left almost on time last night so hopefully a lot of EWR-EDI folks were able to move over.

-RM
Old Aug 12, 08, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanTravels View Post
Sorry, craz, but as noted in all of my posts, I am talking about last night's CO 36, which didn't leave until this morning.

That's the 2008-08-11 iteration of the flight, not the 2008-08-12 one you keep talking about. And both FlyteComm and Continental.com say it didn't leave 'til this morning (and didn't arrive 'til this evening, when it should have arrived this morning).

Yes, today's is relatively on-time. And most times I've taken it, it's been relatively on-time. But if you're going to make dismissive remarks about other users here, the data they present, or the sources of that data, please read for comprehension first.

I'd still be interested in any more in-depth information on what happened the night of the 11th in Newark that resulted in CO 36 not leaving until the morning of the 12th. My wild guess is bad weather leading to ground stop, leading to crew timeouts, or something like that.
Post #2 has yesterdays flight 36 info that indeed left 14 hrs or so late but shows it wasnt suppose to go out that late. In post #4 I have todays reg flight. My pt in your 1st post you mentioned that the site you were viewing listed it as "scheduled to be a morning flight", my pt is No it was a Delayed flight and CO hasnt changed the 36s flight departure that is set for 7:50pm.

So I did in fact read you post/s and it seems that whatever that site was that showed it as scheduled for a morning flight was wrong! and should have made a note that Flight 36 from 8/11 left the morning of 8/12 as a delayed flight!

why it was delayed, I have no idea and never mentioned that in any of my postings, nor did I ever try to present the 36 as having a deaprture time other then 7:50pm, officailly at least

So to borrow another FTers words "But if you're going to make dismissive remarks about others users here, the data they present, or the sources of that data, please read for comprehession first."
Old Aug 12, 08, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanTravels View Post
CO36 usually leaves Newark around 7:50 PM and gets to Edinburgh around 7:50 AM. I just glanced at the flight tracker and last night's showed as having left Newark this morning, and gotten to Edinburgh at 9-something tonight. Flytecomm said it was scheduled to do that (It's not a delay, it's a "schedule change" )... but I don't know what caused it. Anyone?
did you have a relative on the flight?
Old Aug 12, 08, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks View Post
did you have a relative on the flight?
I did - thanks for posting, DanTravels

Were they sitting next to yours? You did click to read the thread because of that, right?
Old Aug 12, 08, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
I did - thanks for posting, DanTravels

Were they sitting next to yours? You did click to read the thread because of that, right?
no, i didn't. i was more curious with how anyone would know that the flight left super late if they didn't have a relative on the flight...unless one just goes to CO.O.L (or some other service) and enters random flight numbers to see if they left on time. how did the OP know the flight left so late to begin with?
Old Aug 12, 08, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks View Post
no, i didn't. i was more curious with how anyone would know that the flight left super late if they didn't have a relative on the flight...unless one just goes to CO.O.L (or some other service) and enters random flight numbers to see if they left on time. how did the OP know the flight left so late to begin with?
Well I must confess although I fly the 84 and 85 maybe 3-4 times a year, yet I constantly check on their arrivals and departure activity, As well as the 90 & 91. All 4 flights are to/from TLV.

I also check on the 56 & 57 which I fly to Europe (CDG) where I connect onward to my final destination in Europe on AF, guess in a matter of months it will be LH and LX. To places CO doesnt fly or uses the 752s

So I can see where if the OP flys the 36 a # of times a yr and it appears they do, that they also keep tabs on them even if they arent flying as I do with my flights.

BTW thats how I found out awhile ago that CO was Smart and for 10/12 moved the 90 up by 2 hrs for departure from EWR, only for that day. The reason is the flight wasnt selling, why cause Mon 10/13 is the start to a Jewish Holiday and arriving at 3:30pm wasnt gonna give anyone enough time to reach their home or hotel before the Holiday started, so alot of people wouldnt book it. Its still very much available but the flight has been filling up once CO moved the departure time up to 8:50pm from 10:50pm. Now most people couldnt give a____ about that, but now I know for the future theres a very good chance CO will repeat doing that when the occasion arrives with a Mon night start to a Holiday.
Old Aug 13, 08, 1:52 am
Original Poster

I didn't have a relative on this one.

But I have a relative on it, or am on it myself, a few times a year. I wanted to tell someone in Scotland how close to on-time it had been running lately - one of those "it's a horribly early arrival time, so if it runs consistently late, I can tell them not to show up at the airport so early" - but when I looked, boy did I get a shock.

Craz: It is all clear now to me, sorry for misconstruing what you said. However, I don't know whether CO.com's flight tracker has any way of displaying that they announced different "scheduled" departure times for a delayed flight (which they most likely would have, several times during the evening, before pushing it back to the next day). Other flight-tracking sites would pick up on those announcements.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: