Search

EWR-BOM in Y

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,NW Silver Elite, UA Premier, Starwood Gold, Avis First
EWR-BOM in Y

I will be travelling EWR-BOM in Y on Wednesday night

I have searched the related posts in this forum and it seems that Y on this flight is not too bad.

I guess it depends a lot on the crew. One poster said AVOD Entertainment is not guaranteed. It also appears that food is decent even for special meal requests

Anyone traveled this flight recently in the past couple of weeks. Specific crew-related experiences?. I am concerned because my recent domestic flights have been less than pleasant (remote stands, awful delays, ground holds, indifferent crew to name a few) . Not on CO though, primarily Delta out of JFK on those regional carriers. So you can draw your own conclusions.

My earlier 15 hr long flight was on J so I am sort of wondering about what to expect on this ultra long flight in coach (at least for me)

Also I have a 6 hr layover in BOM before I can take my connection on AirIndia to MAA at 03.00 . Do I just have to rough it out in the international terminal or pay a lot of rupees to find a decent hotel near the hotel. ?

any tips about BOM airport will be appreciated. I have not passed through BOM in 5 years so I am really uninformed even though I used to live there

thks in advance
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Currently it does not look like your aircraft will have AVOD. More details can be found here.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:18 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
I can't comment on this CO flight, but after 7 hrs you'll probably feel like a zombie anyway, so 7-9 more hours won't be a problem anyway!
Since you're leaving from EWR, you can call the Air India office in NYC, and see what they recommend about hotels near the airport; since you are connecting on them, they may even be able to get you a special room rate.
Keep in mind that this flight may arrive late, in which case you won't need the room (you leave at 3 a.m. to Channai, right?). Most lounges, which you could normally pay for a day's visit, would probably be closed.
When you return, I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences on the flight, and what you ended up doing at the airport in BOM. Good luck!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:21 pm
Zip

Forgot to add that the BOM airport now is isolated from the mobs who usually wait for flights in India, so the airport itself is relatively "calm" and modern. Quite a change from the older airport of a decade ago!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond,NW Silver Elite, UA Premier, Starwood Gold, Avis First
EWR-BOM in Y

thanks a lot for the suggestion about checking with AI on accomodations. Did not think of that.

I will be sure to post my experiences on this flight and my experience in BOM
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: SW Gold, DL Siver, CO Silver
Bom-ewr

flew this flt about 2 weeks ago. BusinessFirst. All i remember was having 2 beers in the "Clipper Lounge", one drink on take off.... and then "Please prepare for your final descent to EWR". Excellent flight. I did have some of what CO called mixed grill for dinner. I was encourage passing on this and the weak attempt at eggs for breakfast. Also, my personal video recorder was on its last days as was the footrest for my seat. But, overall a good trip

and by the way... whomever says that BOM airport is "away" from teh craziness of Mumbai.... that's a good one!!!

Last edited by goetzphi; Aug 11, 2008 at 4:25 pm Reason: more info added
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:07 am
Zip

Originally Posted by goetzphi

and by the way... whomever says that BOM airport is "away" from teh craziness of Mumbai.... that's a good one!!!
That was me. Compare the situation now with what it was before this airport came on-line, what, about 10-12 years ago?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: CO MM/Pt, SPG Pt, Marriott Au, others not worth mentioning
BOM is a much better airport than DEL, and the hotel options near the airport are better/more convenient than DEL. Some may not like BOM, but it is an island of calm compared to DEL, so you won't catch me knocking it any time soon. In fact, I get to explain all of this to my wife on my next trip over, in a month, and I'm even willing to send her home on her own through BOM, which I would never do through DEL (she has to get back early).

My thoughts are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=836803

There are a few Le Meridien properties near the BOM airport, though the OP's layover is tough. I'd go with a flight during daylight, personally, to get a decent night's rest. Or at least a less bad one than you are currently planning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.