Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain what this new "impovment" means to me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone explain what this new "impovment" means to me?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by deniah
Can you expound on this? Do you mean op-ups are given for BF flights?

When I flew GIG/GRU-IAH last week, I checked my seats as close as 24 hours before the flight, to get a solo (but not middle) seat. About half of BF was showing empty. On boarding, most of the cabin was occupied.

When we stopped by GRU, I suddenly had a companion, and the entire BF cabin filled up.

Did a bunch of people use mileage upgrade at the last minute or something?
I believe the upgrades for BF being referenced are miles seats. With the impending change of the waitlist no longer expiring at T-24h the miles upgrades will be clearing basically right up to departure time.

As for your flight, seat maps often do not reflect the actual loads of a flight. There are a number of reasons folks might have not had seat assignments until arriving at the airport/gate.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by craz
It wont help you with the T-24 clearance if any, but Im sure EWR-IAH will be done at the T-3. Since you will be in Europe your flight into EWR will leave before T-3 even gets close. Just explain to an agent in London (does CO still do LGW?) that you are '2 displaced FC passengers' hopefully they can get you the seats then and there or at least get you onto the list
Thanks, we'll try that. As for LGW - CO still does them to EWR, it was the LGW-CLE route (which we were originally on, with confirmed F all the way back) that was cancelled.

or you can put off your trip till Nov when the new rules kick in
I wish, but this trip is a graduation present for me (Now I'm AngelMcD, PhD ) so we scheduled it right after graduation - that's the only chance I have of ever getting a month off!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:35 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
S0 how does this rule apply in the following situation. I book a First CLass SaverPass on CO with a hub connection. Half the outbound (all mainline) is upgraded and half is not. Should I be considered a displaced FC passenger or a passenger that bought the wrong SaverPass?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Scott6067
S0 how does this rule apply in the following situation. I book a First CLass SaverPass on CO with a hub connection. Half the outbound (all mainline) is upgraded and half is not. Should I be considered a displaced FC passenger or a passenger that bought the wrong SaverPass?
You're a displaced passenger the whole way if you redeemed the higher mile value ticket and are seated in the lower value cabin. Whether you actually get the seat or not is a whole different story, but you should be on the list and get the priority.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
I never did show up on the PDA site as on the list for the upgrade. Talked to the agent and he upgraded me. When I talked with the ELite and the CO.com support they both said no way for me to be upgraded and that I had bought a couch reward. Which I said look at the second segment outbound and the first segment inbound, both were in first. Didn't make them change their thought though. Glad to hear I was in the right on this one and hopefully this is part of the issues being addressed with the November changes.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Thanks for your question, ChelseaFC. As sbm12 mentioned, customers who are waitlisted for the front cabin using a OnePass travel reward or upgrade reward are automatically transitioned to the airport standby list upon check-in when their waitlist doesn't clear in advance. The problem, however, is when the flight is also one where Elites are eligible for complimentary upgrades we have a conflict. While the airport standby list will place customers with expired waitlists at a priority that's higher than complimentary Elite upgrades, our Elite Upgrade Automation (EUA) will continue to upgrade Elite members at the 24-hour and 3-hour mark, potentially ahead of formerly-waitlisted customers. In November, the EUA process will be expanded to also include customers whose waitlists had expired (regardless of whether they've checked in). This will ensure our waitlisted and formerly-waitlisted reward customers always have a higher priority over complimentary Elite upgrades. Other than this, there will be no changes to our 24-hour and 3-hour EUA runs.

On BusinessFirst flights (which aren't eligible for complimentary Elite upgrades), all upgrade clearance will continue to be handled exclusively at the gate.

I hope this clarifies, but if it doesn't, let me know.
Scott, I used miles to upgrade an H fare IAH-EWR-HKG-EWR-IAH. The EWR-HKG-EWR clear; the domestic did not. I'm at the airport and while I am #1 because of my plat status on an H fare; I was told at the airport that being a displaced F had nothing to do with it and my waitlist expired; sorry no dice and that if a Plat with a Y comes forward, I'm out of luck. I thought this was contrary to the policy. Was this just an inexperienced agent? Again, I'm #1, and there is an open seat, so I may be okay, but after all I've read, does not seem in synch with what is laid out. Thanks, in advance.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by baglady
Scott, I used miles to upgrade an H fare IAH-EWR-HKG-EWR-IAH. The EWR-HKG-EWR clear; the domestic did not. I'm at the airport and while I am #1 because of my plat status on an H fare; I was told at the airport that being a displaced F had nothing to do with it and my waitlist expired; sorry no dice and that if a Plat with a Y comes forward, I'm out of luck. I thought this was contrary to the policy. Was this just an inexperienced agent? Again, I'm #1, and there is an open seat, so I may be okay, but after all I've read, does not seem in synch with what is laid out. Thanks, in advance.
The agent is wrong. Explain that you are a displaced FC passenger and that your name for some reason did not role over to the airport standby list. I would try doing this in the PC.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
The agent is wrong. Explain that you are a displaced FC passenger and that your name for some reason did not role over to the airport standby list. I would try doing this in the PC.
It WAS in the PC and she said there was nothing she could do. The good news was, I ended up in 1A but that was because of my plat status. She said that there was no such thing as a displaced FC pax . I explained again and she said, well, there was an available seat and that unless a plat on a y fare came around, I should be okay. How many months til Nov?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by baglady
It WAS in the PC and she said there was nothing she could do. The good news was, I ended up in 1A but that was because of my plat status. She said that there was no such thing as a displaced FC pax . I explained again and she said, well, there was an available seat and that unless a plat on a y fare came around, I should be okay. How many months til Nov?
My understanding is that once you check in, as a displaced F, you'll automatically be at the top of the list. The agent may have been wrong in her interpretation, but if I understand the way the system works correctly, once you checked in, your name was going to remain at the top of the list even if a Plat on a full Y came along.

The danger between now and November is that if an elite checks in before you do, they can potentially get EUAd at T-24 and T-3 marks, all before you checked in at say T-2.5. And once you're in - you're in (unless you're not, but we'll ignore the few special cases when that can happen for the moment). But from the moment you check in, your reward beats all EUAs that haven't yet checked in/cleared. Someone please correct me if I missed something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.