FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Cancelled flight to DPS Bali (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/849484-cancelled-flight-dps-bali.html)

Tony&Perry Jul 28, 2008 12:19 pm

Cancelled flight to DPS Bali

I had 2 tickets paid for coach to DPS via Guam over the new year. Checked reservation to find that the DPS segments had gone and was stuck in Guam. No notice from CO-what if I hadn't checked my reservation? Called and was told they will stop flying route in Fall. No effort made by CO to get me to DPS some other way. Had to refund tickets and go to HKG then book Cathay P to DPS. Flight now costs me twice as much and had to cancel hotel in Guam. Nothing from CO in recompense. Is this normal?

JetSet78 Jul 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Would have been nice to get a notice, but you're really not entitled to compensation aside from a full refund, which you've received. Sorry for your misfortune, DPS was slated to close this fall.

Tony&Perry Jul 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Indeed it would

I booked the flights 330+ days out and got a very good fare EWR-HOU-NRT-GUAM-DPS-GUAN-HNL-EWR. Booked hotels and spent hours calling CO to get good seat assignments as the web site couldn't handle the plane change in NRT. I would guess I spent at least 8 hrs on this trip to find it canceled out without ANY notification. As it is 6months out, fares are up and availability are reduced. If I had not checked the reservation I could have lost out on the trip altogether and lost hotel deposits. Surely, any change in a reservation should issue an automatic email notification!

ryerflyer Jul 28, 2008 4:47 pm

An unfortunate by-product of the capacity reductions the industry is going through. Agree it ought to be better communicated.

UA Insider Jul 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tony&Perry (Post 10109119)
I had 2 tickets paid for coach to DPS via Guam over the new year. Checked reservation to find that the DPS segments had gone and was stuck in Guam. No notice from CO-what if I hadn't checked my reservation? Called and was told they will stop flying route in Fall. No effort made by CO to get me to DPS some other way. Had to refund tickets and go to HKG then book Cathay P to DPS. Flight now costs me twice as much and had to cancel hotel in Guam. Nothing from CO in recompense. Is this normal?

Hi Tony&Perry, I'm sorry to hear about this. Whenever we withdraw from a market, we do set up re-booking agreements with other airlines whenever we can. Our interline re-booking agreements, however, are much different outside of the day of departure. In the case of Bali, for example, we have a contract with Japan Air Lines, but with limited availability.

We also have a process for notifying customers to work out alternate arrangements, and this is normally conducted within a few weeks following a market withdrawal. We rely heavily, however, on the contact information in your reservation and/or OnePass profile, and our ability to reach you.

If you'd like to PM me with your original confirmation, we'd be glad to research why you weren't able to be re-booked on Japan Air Lines and why you didn't hear from us.

ijgordon Jul 28, 2008 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by JetSet78 (Post 10110466)
Would have been nice to get a notice, but you're really not entitled to compensation aside from a full refund, which you've received.

Oh, come on, that's just not true. The OP entered into a contract for carriage to Bali, with consideration offered and accepted. The airline can't unilaterally cancel the contract, even if it refunds the consideration. It's still a breach of contract. That's why they will offer to rebook you on another airline. You can always mutually agree to cancel the contract if you don't like what they have to offer, but the operative word is "mutually". (PS, I'm not a lawyer but this seems relatively straightforward)

baglady Jul 28, 2008 7:41 pm

I think we're VERY fortunate to have CO Insider who not only read this thread but is looking into this situation. ^

flyer57 Jul 29, 2008 3:38 pm

My SO and I do this flight each year (next trip begins 2nd week of August). Don't know how we'll be doing next year with CO out of the market.:(

JetSet78 Jul 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 10111599)
Oh, come on, that's just not true. The OP entered into a contract for carriage to Bali, with consideration offered and accepted. The airline can't unilaterally cancel the contract, even if it refunds the consideration. It's still a breach of contract. That's why they will offer to rebook you on another airline. You can always mutually agree to cancel the contract if you don't like what they have to offer, but the operative word is "mutually". (PS, I'm not a lawyer but this seems relatively straightforward)

I wasn't implying that CO was off the hook with the refund assuming options were offered on rebooking. Rather, compensation shouldn't be expected on top of rebooking.

SPN Lifer Jul 29, 2008 9:30 pm

I'm going to miss the GUM-DPS flight.

A large number of my on-island friends from Saipan have visited Bali, many multiple times. I feel like I know all the sights. Too bad I've never been. :o

oopsz Jul 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyer57 (Post 10116803)
My SO and I do this flight each year (next trip begins 2nd week of August). Don't know how we'll be doing next year with CO out of the market.:(

Well, with the re-alignment of alliances, it becomes a little tricky. If you're planning your trip while CO is still in skyteam, your best bet is IAH-LAX-ICN-DPS on CO and Korean. (Eva is an option through taipei, but you'd only get EQMs on a codeshare.) After the *A jump you would have to go through Singapore or Bangkok on SQ or TG.

BF263533 Jul 30, 2008 1:34 am

It is a shame that Bali was damaged by the terrorist bombings several years ago. Although tourism has recovered somewhat, it is not at the pre-bombing levels. It is a really great place to visit. I was there is December, 2007, the cooler and dryer season, but it was still hot, even though I have lived in Florida the past 27 years. I would not hesitate to go back to Bali. Bali has a large serene Hindu population. I have never seen so many temples throughout the countryside. Bali is a refreshing and calming experience.

I flew there on a Star Alliance business award, so I can use Continental miles for my next trip there after 2009. Maybe on the Singapore A380 to SIN then the 777 (with no personal air vents) to DPS, and hope for a return on the all business class nonstop A340-500 from SIN-EWR.

Mabuk dan gila Jul 30, 2008 11:46 am

Originally Posted by oopsz (Post 10118460)
(Eva is an option through taipei, but you'd only get EQMs on a codeshare.)

USA-TPE on EVA earns 100% EQM's and full elite bonus miles even on a BR ticket with a BR flight number. TPE-DPS does not earn any EQM. Only base miles.

Tony&Perry Aug 8, 2008 11:41 am

Scott took care of us

in a way that gave us complete satisfaction and more!:D

HeathrowGuy Aug 8, 2008 11:59 am

Originally Posted by CO Insider (Post 10111033)
Hi Tony&Perry, I'm sorry to hear about this. Whenever we withdraw from a market, we do set up re-booking agreements with other airlines whenever we can. Our interline re-booking agreements, however, are much different outside of the day of departure. In the case of Bali, for example, we have a contract with Japan Air Lines, but with limited availability.

We also have a process for notifying customers to work out alternate arrangements, and this is normally conducted within a few weeks following a market withdrawal. We rely heavily, however, on the contact information in your reservation and/or OnePass profile, and our ability to reach you.

Indeed, I have to say I found CO to be *extremely* accomodating when the GUM-HKG portion of my EWR-IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG itinerary was changed.

CO was willing to rebook me XXX-GUM-MNL-HKG with either PR or CX as the interline carrier if I wanted to stick with the "long way" itinerary. In the interests of time (would have required a GUM overnight) and typhoon avoidance, I decided to opt for the EWR-HKG nonstop instead, and the supervisor allowed me to amend my outbound departure date without penalty to one that had the BF upgrade seat available and performed the UG on the spot (I had already pulled the mileage and paid the copay for the upgrade with the old routing, btw, with only the HNL-GUM-HKG flights having cleared). I had the new e-ticket receipt in hand within a couple of hours, and now look forward to a nice, LOOOOOONG journey in the 777 BF!