Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How a CO elite books domestic economy travel on NW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Never flown NW before, but will need to do so in the coming weeks. What are the recommended steps for booking a NW domestic economy ticket with the hope of getting a free domestic elite upgrade, based uponCO elite status?

My thinking:

1. Buy the ticket on nwa.com using GUEST ACCESS. Do not register for WorldPerks number.
2. There is nowhere to put my CO elite number into the reservation at nwa.com when purchasing, so add my CO elite number to the reservation after ticketing via nwa.com Manage My Reservations.
3. This should allow me to pre-reserve a CoachChoice or Exit Row seat for free at nwa.com.
4. Wait for elite upgrade email within 5 days of departure. Go back to nwa.com to improve seat assignment.

Anything else?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Colin
Never flown NW before, but will need to do so in the coming weeks. What are the recommended steps for booking a NW domestic economy ticket with the hope of getting a free domestic elite upgrade, based uponCO elite status?

My thinking:

1. Buy the ticket on nwa.com using GUEST ACCESS. Do not register for WorldPerks number.
2. There is nowhere to put my CO elite number into the reservation at nwa.com when purchasing, so add my CO elite number to the reservation after ticketing via nwa.com Manage My Reservations.
3. This should allow me to pre-reserve a CoachChoice or Exit Row seat for free at nwa.com.
4. Wait for elite upgrade email within 5 days of departure. Go back to nwa.com to improve seat assignment.

Anything else?
If you want 100% EQM and EQP's book NW Fare Class Q or higher.

Don't be surprised if your number 4 doesn't happen at 5 days. Depends on route, day, etc. - no different than CO. Also, check it yourself, don't rely on a notification email. Upgrades do seem to be easier. As CO Silver we were both ugraded this year LGA-MSP-SFO on a Sunday morning and not upgraded on a red eye SFO-MSP-LGA Wednsday morning.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even if you register for a WorldPerks number (which I did as it allows for saving a profile and other useful things) you can enter your CO OP number during the booking process or after the ticket is reserved.

One thing to note is that the eliteness of your account doesn't register until after the flight is booked. So you won't get the good seats during the booking process but can get them by going back in after confirming the reservation. At least that's how it used to work.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Delta SkyMiles Platinum Medallion, SPG Corporate Preferred
Also note that CoachChoice(sm) seats are not available to anybody (that includes all Elites, NW or not) until 24 hours prior to departure...at least that is what I have been repeatedly told by NWA agents and the web help desk.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 1:07 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Based on my most recent experience in the last couple of weeks where I booked a trip on NW for October, NW doesn't assign seats until 90 or 91 days before the scheduled flight date.

I had our CO Onepass numbers entered. [Side note: By having a WP Number and Profile, our OP numbers, which are selected as our choice in our profiles, were automatically entered.] Once they assign seats, seat selection opens up and you can pick what you like. I took exit row (11-A/C and 11-D/F) on an A320 for us (we're both CO Silver) at the 90 day mark. I had to wait until the 90/91 day mark for the return flight to select seats. All Coach Choice, Premium and Exit row seats were available for selection.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Don't be surprised if your number 4 doesn't happen at 5 days.
Respectfully disagree. I don't know what status Colin has with CO, but as a NW Platinum, I haven't missed a complimentary upgrade on a domestic NW flight in nearly three years. And virtually all of my NW upgrades clear at the five day window, with many clearing six days out. Getting a seat on NW up front is generally so much easier, although CO definitely has the superior first class product.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: CO Pt Infinite (1k life)/ 1MM - NW/DL Silver life/1 MM
1) Get a WP# and use it at booking

2) Book and then modify the res and change to OP#. Eliteness is instantly recognized.

3) Select seats. Exit row are available for (most) elites.

4) Using kiosk, enter OP# as FF#. Prepend the OP# with "CO", ex: COAB123456.

5) Online access use the WP# done in step #1. nwa.com will not find a res by OP# (only reason to do step #1).

6) Await EUA. If plat, virtually a sure thing.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat National Executive Amtrak Select Plus
Keeping on this thread, what if you were a gold onepass trying to upgrade a companion on NW. Would this be possible, would it need to happen at the gate?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LGAiahSAT
Keeping on this thread, what if you were a gold onepass trying to upgrade a companion on NW. Would this be possible, would it need to happen at the gate?
Yes and yes.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:47 am

I am about 99% UG as a gold this year, including in and out of SFO, PDX, DCA (Avoid Thursday and Friday eveninnings and Sunday when congress is ins session). So I would expect OP chances to be excellent.

Also note that that NW email notification system is behind UG system. Check res starting at UG windows every day. Many, Many times UG is confimed in res and email comes 2 days later.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Pref Sel
Thanks everyone - gotta love Flyertalk! I had this exact same questions and found my answer within seconds on the the CO board without even having to do a search!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, American Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DUKEswoosh
Also note that CoachChoice(sm) seats are not available to anybody (that includes all Elites, NW or not) until 24 hours prior to departure...at least that is what I have been repeatedly told by NWA agents and the web help desk.
This is technically true, but most of the "premium seats" made open to ST Elite are better than the Coach Choice seats. It will probably be a non-issue.

Additionally, if you aren't upgraded at 5 days, then you can still go back and change your seat selection to one where an upgraded passenger was sitting. These also will be better than CoachChoice seats.

Finally, Northwest uses the R bucket for upgrades. If still not upgraded at 24 hrs, do not check in online. Use your favorite web tool to monitor the R bucket and check in when/if one opens up. If you online check in at 24-hrs and then NW opens an R seat, you will not get upgraded. Instead it will go to the next elite who checks in and accepts the upgrade.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.