Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO & Air Canada announce partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by brendog
Unfortunately, AC has some very strange fare buckets, including some that accrue no mileage. It'll be interesting to see how CO handles that.
The strange fare bucket is Tango. AC uses a fare bucket system similar to Southwest (e.g. four to five fare buckets with increasing price and services for each bucket). For almost all flights, all fare buckets are open for sale. The Tango fare bucket will not display on most GDS (available through aircanada.com) and is therefore not picked up by Corp travel departments.

Tango fare class is generally used when there is direct competition from an LCC (Westjet) or where there is high level of tourist traffic (e.g. LAS, MCO, PHX, etc.). The Tango fare bucket mimics the LCC service level, pax can buy up if they want full service options.

For routes where the competition is another full service airline AC makes the Tango fare bucket disappear or its higher price than Tango Plus fare bucket. This is annomolly is done so that the tango plus bucket is picked up by the GDS rather than Tango.

Tango Plus fares have full status mile accrual and seat selection for free, same day flight changes for $50, change fees are $40 plus fare difference.

Latitude fares are full fare economy product.

AC (like CO) only has J Class. Exec First (International product) has lie flat seats similar to the new CO product, except the AC fleet will be completely modernized by Q4-08.

All aircraft greater than 70 seats have IFE at all seats.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:11 pm

Programs: Ae roplan, AAdvtantage, MilesPlus
Hey

I think AC now offers miles on all fare types
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Plus Side - CO will probably move to YYZ T1/2 to join AC and UA. Hopefully they leave US *blech* back in T3.

Plus Side - Lounge access in YYZ

Bad Side - AC just doesn't quite cut it in the product quality and service department - I might consider them for a 3hr nonstop option from FL to Canada, but anything longer? No thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ratherbesailing1
Hey

I think AC now offers miles on all fare types
Nope. There are still some that don't earn within N. America. The latest super-cheap fares from the east to the far-east were in those classes so miles were only earned on the YVR-Asia segments in many cases. Made those fares less than ideal as a MR.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
One word of caution when booking AC codeshares:

I have done this using ual.com, and you have to be very careful, since flights which are booked through AC and cost the exact same amount will book into fare classes which are eligible for full mileage accrual. When booking on ual.com, the exact same flights/fares will book into fare classes which are not always eligible for mileage accrual.

I would say to book on AC when possible, but it becomes very challenging on mixed-metal itineraries. I just did one for LAX-BOS (UA), and the return YUL-LAX (AC). I was unable to book it on the AC website, because AC does not service BOS, and for whatever reason their website was unable to handle this leg as a codeshare.

The workaround which I found for this particular itinerary was to book through Orbitz. I was issued two separate confirmation numbers so Orbitz must have booked the itinerary as two one-ways. It was well worth the $5 Orbitz booking fee to ensure full mileage credit on the AC leg. Of course, with CO's restrictions for the lowest fares booked anywhere other than their own website, YMMV.

I am brand new to CO (a defector from US), but their website seems to be much better than UA's. Hopefully we will easily be able to navigate AC codeshares on co.com which will accrue full mileage credit.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:32 pm

*yawn* not excited.

I've flown AC before and haven't been overly impressed. My buddies in Canada all refuse to take Air Can anywhere - they're CO platinums even though they reside in Calgary for a reason!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
The most interesting statement in the whole release. Obviously, United, AC, and Lufthansa are three of the nine; what are the six others?
According to their application the nine carriers are:

Air Canada
Austrian Airlines
bmi
LOT
Lufthansa
SAS
Swiss
TAP
United

A public version of the application is available here for download
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:43 pm

The most interesting statement in the whole release. Obviously, United, AC, and Lufthansa are three of the nine; what are the six others?

Air Canada
Austrian Airlines
bmi
LOT
Lufthansa
SAS
Swiss
TAP
United

Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:58 pm

Air Canada
Austrian Airlines
bmi
LOT
Lufthansa
SAS
Swiss
TAP
United

Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Plus Side - CO will probably move to YYZ T1/2 to join AC and UA. Hopefully they leave US *blech* back in T3.
Too late, someone left the door open and US moved into T1!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Backdoor way to use Diners Club points for CO travel?

Since the Diners-Amtrak-CO route has been pretty much closed this year, could this be a good way to convert DC points into CO travel? DC - Aeroplan to CO?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5*
AC service

With regards to Air Canada's service - I wouldn't quite compare them to US. While 'unhelpful' and 'rude' are the first words that come to mind when thinking about the AC customer service/gate agents and flight attendants, same cannot be said when you consider their airplanes. For the most part, the aircraft are new or newly refurbished, they are clean, pleasant to be on, offer IFE, and are comfortable to be on. At least that has been my experience. Never flown AC on long flights, but for quick non-stops hops from Boston to and around Canada you don't really have much of a choice. I'm happy to finally be able to accrue CO miles for those trips.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 5:31 pm

AC Has Best 777s

Take a look at this thread. I tried las year to get the AC 777 flight from Hong Kong to try out the seat, but could not do so.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...f263533&page=3

And post no. 43 by sspchk Join Date: May 2006
Interior Pictures

Executive First

http://www.flickr.com/photos/360phot...95729/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/360phot...95745/sizes/o/

Pilot Crew Rest Above Executive First Cabin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/360phot...95755/sizes/o/

Those reading the new Business First seat thread will also want to compare the AC 777 business seat.

And they got personal air vents on a 777! See poots 61 & 62

Ace Cdn

they are air vents and lights. If you look at the positioning there are 2 sets for every row. If they were all lights having two sets in each row would be overkill. If you look carefully at them you can see that are shaped differently also.

why fly

both 340 and 777 can come with Air Vents.... AC did not order them on the 340's they did order them on the 777J class also has 3 washrooms rather than the 2 washrooms on most 340 AC ordered. another big +. AC did almost everthing right on the 777's..... just no premium economy seating... NZ is selling premium economy so well, its doing a refub to the planes, to add more

Last edited by BF263533; Jul 24, 2008 at 5:42 pm Reason: clean up links
Old Jul 24, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
None of these links work, for me at least.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
None of these links work, for me at least.
I re-posted the few links that now seem to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.