FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Are ff seats likely to open later?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/847884-ff-seats-likely-open-later.html)

RedHeadsWife Jul 23, 2008 11:54 am

Are ff seats likely to open later??

I have never posted a question about using frequent flyer miles so I don't know all of the correct abbreviations or terminology. Thank you for putting up with my newbie question.

My husband, daughter, and I have finally accumulated over 25,000 miles in our One Pass accounts. We had hoped to be able to use these miles to get tickets from Tampa (or Orlando) to Seattle or Portland at the end of February 2009 for my inlaw's milestone anniversary. We now realize that there is nothing available to us for any dates remotely in the right time period. I know that we are very small-time frequent flyer customers and are not going to have the same options available as the "power" frequent flyers.

My question is: Is it likely that more seats will become available in the coming weeks/months? Should we check daily or are we wasting our time? Or should we simply purchase tickets and use our frequent flyer miles for another trip?

Thank you for your help.

OPFlyer Jul 23, 2008 12:02 pm

CO tends to release reward seats much closer to the date of departure so I would check back in a few months. There is no guarantee that they will open the seats but they might.

DuhWane Jul 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by RedHeadsWife (Post 10085132)
Thank you for putting up with my newbie question.

Welcome to the board...

bigbird090 Jul 23, 2008 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by OPFlyer (Post 10085187)
CO tends to release reward seats much closer to the date of departure so I would check back in a few months. There is no guarantee that they will open the seats but they might.

I have redeemed my miles twice, and both times, it was about 5 weeks before the trip. Around that time, CO realizes that it won't be selling the ticket, and releases them for redemption very close to the date of the flight.

Also, have you considered other cities near TPA? Sometimes I have to fly out of BWI rather than DCA, but I find it okay sometimes in order to get the reward.

Hope this helps,

Bonehead Jul 23, 2008 1:10 pm

It seems to be a truism that you should first check for award availability, and THEN plan your event around that. Sorry that changing an anniversary would prove to be rather difficult.

February can be extremely tough due to spring break, and your situation is exacerbated because you are looking for three awards. One or perhaps two seats may open up later in the year; the best advice might be to watch availability like a hawk and also be prepared to buy the tickets if the price seems right.

craz Jul 23, 2008 1:34 pm

you should check MCO also and call OnePass and ask if theres anything available on Delta or NorthWest or any combo of CO/DL/NW

Ive found when Im willing to use more than 1 airport and any partner that at times theres more available

welcome to FT

Bonehead Jul 23, 2008 1:43 pm

I see availability MCO-SEA return for three 25,000-mile awards on selected dates in late February, according to KVS. Perhaps a call to the OP service center with specific dates/flights would work...PM (Private-Message) me.