CO ain't afraid of a little rain

Old Jul 23, 08, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Platinum; Amex Platinum; SPG-Gold; Peasant with AA, & WN, Hotels: PH, KC, OM, HH, MC, HI(IN) & JD
CO ain't afraid of a little rain

I'm flying out of CRP today and we are on the north end of Hurricane Dolly. WN has cancelled everything all day, AA has cancelled all morning flights, and CO has gotten 2 off so far and their entire schedule is showing on time.

Not sure if this is a positive or negative... but I found it interesting.

Last edited by farenthold; Jul 23, 08 at 7:54 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 23, 08, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's a gamble is what it is.

If the hurricane comes in and shuts the place down, the aircraft there are stranded and subject to being damaged.

CO must be forecasting that they can get in and out for now, whereas the others are being more conservative and just closing up.

If CO gets a plane messed up, then CO made the wrong call. If CO can pull this off, then they enhance their reputation for reliability.

We'll see how this plays out.
Old Jul 23, 08, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Platinum; Amex Platinum; SPG-Gold; Peasant with AA, & WN, Hotels: PH, KC, OM, HH, MC, HI(IN) & JD
Originally Posted by channa View Post
I'm thinking it may be a gamble getting on the rollercoaster .. er I mean plane.
Old Jul 23, 08, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I'm not too sure why CO cancelled the morning departures out of MFE today. The hurricane is just now starting to hit! CO could have had 3 planes leave MFE and go back into service.
Old Jul 23, 08, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Isn't it mostly XJT RJs on that route? I wonder if they figure they can just collect insurance money if the planes are damaged?
Old Jul 23, 08, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by OPFlyer View Post
I'm not too sure why CO cancelled the morning departures out of MFE today. The hurricane is just now starting to hit! CO could have had 3 planes leave MFE and go back into service.
They cost less to sit on the ground, plus it can said they are being safe and if they get destroyed.......insurance

RJs aren't the best asset to have flying around empty.
Old Jul 23, 08, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
True but CO also has some mainline aircraft parked at MFE right now.
Old Jul 23, 08, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Mackieman View Post
Isn't it mostly XJT RJs on that route? I wonder if they figure they can just collect insurance money if the planes are damaged?
Actually it's mostly Chautauqua CRJs. Even better if those are damaged.
Old Jul 23, 08, 12:21 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Actually it's mostly Chautauqua CRJs. Even better if those are damaged.
True that, It's a shame CO can't get Chautauqua to park all their planes in Brownsville for a couple days eh?
Old Jul 23, 08, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Marriott
My 2 cents is both WN and CO (probably AA also) offered passengers a no penalty reschedule. If I have flexibility in my schedule, I'm not wanting to fly the day a hurricane is coming into town -- and this is spoken from someone who enjoys the some turbulence from time to time, especially if it comes with a light show out my window.

So if they are operating their planes (with far less than normal capacity), then they are losing money. I think WN and AA are wiser for advertising they are canceling the flights and rebooking passengers into available seats on future dates. Now they have the same revenue, but lower costs because they operated less flights. Smart business in my view.
Old Jul 23, 08, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Wilco_FT View Post
My 2 cents is both WN and CO (probably AA also) offered passengers a no penalty reschedule. If I have flexibility in my schedule, I'm not wanting to fly the day a hurricane is coming into town -- and this is spoken from someone who enjoys the some turbulence from time to time, especially if it comes with a light show out my window.

So if they are operating their planes (with far less than normal capacity), then they are losing money. I think WN and AA are wiser for advertising they are canceling the flights and rebooking passengers into available seats on future dates. Now they have the same revenue, but lower costs because they operated less flights. Smart business in my view.
those taking off could have simply been repositioning flights as much as anything.

Search this Thread