Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO introduces new BusinessFirst seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think this is going to be the single biggest complaint we hear about these new seats, once introduced, and is a very real concern. Certainly, when flying alone, I will actively seek out the middle seats to avoid climbing over or being climbed over.
Originally Posted by pptp
I don't see how they'll be any harder to get across that the current BF seat. In fact, they should be easier given that the current BF seat overlaps the legs of the person behind with the backrest from in front. This leaves very little space to get by even when the person an the aisle steps out for you, let alone if you try to crawl over them. The height should be no different either at the crawl over point (because the seatback in front covers the legs which is the only lower point). At least with the new ones, there'll be a bit of space between seats to maneuver.
Give me a break, pbarnette. As pptp notes, it will not be any more difficult than the current seat to get out, and it will likely be a little easier. Do you not currently actively seek out the middle seats? What will change? I think bulkheads, which are fine now, will continue to be fine. It can just be tricky to get them pre-assigned.

Plus, the hard shell means that the person/people in the seats in FRONT of you will not be impacted by you trying to get out. I say that's definitely an improvement.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
Originally Posted by rkkwan
DL's new Recaros, for example, is only lie-flat.
It's even more impressive. DL's 752 BE seats are simply recliners, nothing flat about them at all!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Had a chance to stop by and check out the seats again today, and haven't had the chance to look through all the posts here so apologies if these points have been covered:

- Still trying to figure out 767 solution - it is a spacing issue I was told
- iPod plug in so one can watch their own stored movies on the seatback screen
- the only difference between the 757 seat at the 777/787 is that the 757 is 6,4 extended while the 787 and 777 are 6,6 - otherwise exact same
Also, the 757 screen is 10.4 inches while 777/787 screen is 15.4 inches.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
But I think you're missing the point that with the new seats you're not climbing of the feet of the aisle passenger, but their hips or thighs, which I think most of us would find a lot more intrusive.
With the seat in front fully reclined, you're buried almost up to the thigh (unless you're really short) so you actually will be crawling over hips and thighs. The new seat looks like you might be able to crawl over closer to the feet not farther up, or at worst case it will be the same.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pptp
I don't see how they'll be any harder to get across that the current BF seat. In fact, they should be easier given that the current BF seat overlaps the legs of the person behind with the backrest from in front. This leaves very little space to get by even when the person an the aisle steps out for you, let alone if you try to crawl over them. The height should be no different either at the crawl over point (because the seatback in front covers the legs which is the only lower point). At least with the new ones, there'll be a bit of space between seats to maneuver.
A big big big positive is that no one reclines into your space, so the maneuvering space is quite generous, at least that's true with the new UA C.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Give me a break, pbarnette.
Yep. You are absolutely right. Nobody will complain about it.

I never said it wasn't an improvement over what they have now. But egress from the window seats is certainly a disadvantage of this style over a herringbone configuration, an SQ-style seat, or even (IMHO) the BA seat. There is plenty to like about this seat, and it is an improvement, but why can't we be honest about what faults it does have?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CODC10
It's even more impressive. DL's 752 BE seats are simply recliners, nothing flat about them at all!
But we should remember that the DL's 752s serve a somewhat different purpose from CO's. The CO 752 is the backbone of their TATL strategy. For DL, it is more of a fill-in. The bigger issue for DL, to my mind, is what they are going to do with the 763s, as they are much more important to their overall strategy, but have no announced plans to go flat-bed on those.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:20 am

Yep. You are absolutely right. Nobody will complain about it.

I never said it wasn't an improvement over what they have now. But egress from the window seats is certainly a disadvantage of this style over a herringbone configuration, an SQ-style seat, or even (IMHO) the BA seat. There is plenty to like about this seat, and it is an improvement, but why can't we be honest about what faults it does have?
Ahhh, I thought you were comparing egress to the current seat (which most CO flyers will be comparing it to) not other airlines' offerings. Point taken.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: CO Plat, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Loews Gold, Marriott Gold, etc. etc. etc
But we should remember that the DL's 752s serve a somewhat different purpose from CO's. The CO 752 is the backbone of their TATL strategy. For DL, it is more of a fill-in. The bigger issue for DL, to my mind, is what they are going to do with the 763s, as they are much more important to their overall strategy, but have no announced plans to go flat-bed on those.
I was just comparing apples-to-apples. True, 757s are not as common across the Atlantic with DL as they are with CO.

DL did hint at moving toward the Thompson Solutions J seat on the 767, but I have not seen anything set in stone (i.e. renderings, timetable, seat map, etc.) to suggest that this is something that will be coming about in the near-term.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CODC10
DL did hint at moving toward the Thompson Solutions J seat on the 767, but I have not seen anything set in stone (i.e. renderings, timetable, seat map, etc.) to suggest that this is something that will be coming about in the near-term.
I believe they have officially announced the Thompson seat for the 764, with installation beginning in 2009. The open question is what they are going to do with the 763s. Apparently, the 763s suffer from some weight issues, which has been used to explain why they still have the overhead TVs.

There is also no word, to date, as to what they will do with the NW A330s. Of course, any statement would be premature until the merger goes through. Regardless, I think we have more clarity into the CO picture than we do into DL's.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:18 am

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
It's a shame CO didn't tap into this community more for feedback on the seats.
I think this is very unfair. They did. Larry promised me years ago he would make time for me to test the seat. They had like 9 people there for me and I spent a good hour testing all kinds of stuff. I brought powercords, books, all the junk I normally take. The seat is exceptional. There are a few minor things I hope will get ironed out, like the tray table length. But, all and all it is awesome. I am going to start another thread and discuss my impressions since this thread is so long. Cigar

P.S. And I did not post before, because I had to sign a confidentiality agreement until the official announcement. Moral of story... don't "assume"
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Thanks for clearing that up
Old Aug 2, 2008, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Now we just need functioning concierges that actually do their job .
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Fair

Originally Posted by cigarman
I think this is very unfair. They did. Larry promised me years ago he would make time for me to test the seat. They had like 9 people there for me and I spent a good hour testing all kinds of stuff. I brought powercords, books, all the junk I normally take. The seat is exceptional. There are a few minor things I hope will get ironed out, like the tray table length. But, all and all it is awesome. I am going to start another thread and discuss my impressions since this thread is so long. Cigar

P.S. And I did not post before, because I had to sign a confidentiality agreement until the official announcement. Moral of story... don't "assume"
I think my comments were fair --all I said was that I wish the FlyerTalk community was tapped -more- into the testing of this chair. Larry, Jim, Mark, and Scott also said I could be involved in the beta testing ...so when I saw the blurb in the inflight magazine that the seat was done ...and also saw that only about a dozen frequent fliers were involved in the testing, I was a bit disappointed. And because the news is public thus rendering NDA's absolete, I'm going to venture a guess that Cigarman was the only FlyerTalker included in the testing. With the hundreds of thousands of miles Cigarman logs each year, I think his $0.02 is extremely valuable... but I think opening up testing to a few dozen additional FlyerTalkers (under NDA, of course) would have been exponentially more valuable.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Is the plan still to have the new seats out beginning later this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.