Is There a Uniform Odor on CO?

Old Jul 20, 08, 11:58 am
RNE
Original Poster

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Is There a Uniform Odor on CO?

No, I don't mean the crews' uniforms stink. I mean TSMRSRNE mentioned that she smells a distinct odor every time food is served on board--the same odor regardless of what's being served. She was shocked that I didn't know what she was talking about. (And before anyone suggests it, no, the odor is not coming from yours truly.) I suspect it's a smell from the oven heating elements. Does anyone else smell a uniform smell every time? What is the answer to this burning question?
Old Jul 20, 08, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Ah ..the other definition of "Uniform".

Yeah , I smell it, but have no way to account for it.
Old Jul 20, 08, 12:35 pm

Programs: Too many!
I totally know what you're referring to, and from what I can recall on OA, it's a very distinguishable smell only from CO. I even notice it sometimes when boarding clear from the gate with the jetway door open.
Old Jul 20, 08, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always attributed it to the heating element for the food. It is typically the strongest a few minutes before they serve the meal and dies down quickly shortly after.
Old Jul 20, 08, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Recycled cabin air has a universal odor. But I've never noticed anything CO-specific.
Old Jul 20, 08, 12:47 pm

My roomates at home always comment how I smell like the plane when I get home. I think it is more the way the plane smells than the uniform. I steam my uniform before every trip which freshens it up but, if I do not work for a long time I smell it on my uniform. This is even the case after I get it dry cleaned, so it is not a matter of the uniform being dirty.
Old Jul 20, 08, 12:57 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by JetSet78 View Post
I totally know what you're referring to, and from what I can recall on OA, it's a very distinguishable smell only from CO.
Could you be smelling the disinfectant that is on every CO airplane including the props? It is always strongest in the bathrooms but perfuses the entire airplane with it's aroma.
Old Jul 20, 08, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Could you be smelling the disinfectant that is on every CO airplane including the props? It is always strongest in the bathrooms but perfuses the entire airplane with it's aroma.
pretty sure this is it, because it is not a foul odor like I smell on some American Eagle prop/RJs (their mainline aren't too bad)
Old Jul 20, 08, 1:24 pm

Programs: Too many!
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I know that smell too, but this one is different. I think it might have to do with the ovens.
Old Jul 20, 08, 1:30 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
I would think that it is the ovens. Especially if strong in front but weak in rear. IE the front ovens get used more. As a chef I would assume that the ovens do not have ventalation in them and thus the smell goes through the cabin as does the aroma of the cookies and other foods being cooked.
Old Jul 20, 08, 1:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.
I know what you're talking about. I was actually thinking about that smell last week. It has to be from the ovens.
Old Jul 20, 08, 1:39 pm

Is it on the RJ's as well?
Old Jul 20, 08, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Buttery Smell

Originally Posted by jetboy787 View Post
I know what you're talking about. I was actually thinking about that smell last week. It has to be from the ovens.
I know exactly the smell people are talking about. I think it's leftover oil/grease from the ovens. It's a distinct smell found only on CO flights.
Old Jul 20, 08, 3:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Gold, Cathay Pacific Diamond, SPG plat.
Talking

Its prob the smell of the sodium and transfats warming up :-p
Old Jul 20, 08, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by jetboy787 View Post
Its prob the smell of the sodium and transfats warming up :-p
In my best FCOTSTY voice:

it is the cheese.

Search this Thread