FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Is There a Uniform Odor on CO? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/846844-there-uniform-odor-co.html)

RNE Jul 20, 2008 10:58 am

Is There a Uniform Odor on CO?

No, I don't mean the crews' uniforms stink. I mean TSMRSRNE mentioned that she smells a distinct odor every time food is served on board--the same odor regardless of what's being served. She was shocked that I didn't know what she was talking about. (And before anyone suggests it, no, the odor is not coming from yours truly.) I suspect it's a smell from the oven heating elements. Does anyone else smell a uniform smell every time? What is the answer to this burning question?

dergon darkhelm Jul 20, 2008 11:27 am

Ah ..the other definition of "Uniform".

Yeah , I smell it, but have no way to account for it.

JetSet78 Jul 20, 2008 11:35 am

I totally know what you're referring to, and from what I can recall on OA, it's a very distinguishable smell only from CO. I even notice it sometimes when boarding clear from the gate with the jetway door open.

sdm1130 Jul 20, 2008 11:39 am

I've always attributed it to the heating element for the food. It is typically the strongest a few minutes before they serve the meal and dies down quickly shortly after.

ConciergeMike Jul 20, 2008 11:40 am

Recycled cabin air has a universal odor. But I've never noticed anything CO-specific.

Non-TypiCAL F/A Jul 20, 2008 11:47 am

My roomates at home always comment how I smell like the plane when I get home. I think it is more the way the plane smells than the uniform. I steam my uniform before every trip which freshens it up but, if I do not work for a long time I smell it on my uniform. This is even the case after I get it dry cleaned, so it is not a matter of the uniform being dirty.

radonc1 Jul 20, 2008 11:57 am

Originally Posted by JetSet78 (Post 10063742)
I totally know what you're referring to, and from what I can recall on OA, it's a very distinguishable smell only from CO.

Could you be smelling the disinfectant that is on every CO airplane including the props? It is always strongest in the bathrooms but perfuses the entire airplane with it's aroma.

Steph3n Jul 20, 2008 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 10063809)
Could you be smelling the disinfectant that is on every CO airplane including the props? It is always strongest in the bathrooms but perfuses the entire airplane with it's aroma.

pretty sure this is it, because it is not a foul odor like I smell on some American Eagle prop/RJs (their mainline aren't too bad)

JetSet78 Jul 20, 2008 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 10063809)

I know that smell too, but this one is different. I think it might have to do with the ovens.

Scott6067 Jul 20, 2008 12:30 pm

I would think that it is the ovens. Especially if strong in front but weak in rear. IE the front ovens get used more. As a chef I would assume that the ovens do not have ventalation in them and thus the smell goes through the cabin as does the aroma of the cookies and other foods being cooked.

jetboy787 Jul 20, 2008 12:36 pm

I know what you're talking about. I was actually thinking about that smell last week. It has to be from the ovens.

Non-TypiCAL F/A Jul 20, 2008 12:39 pm

Is it on the RJ's as well?

Weatherboy Jul 20, 2008 2:03 pm

Buttery Smell

Originally Posted by jetboy787 (Post 10063977)
I know what you're talking about. I was actually thinking about that smell last week. It has to be from the ovens.

I know exactly the smell people are talking about. I think it's leftover oil/grease from the ovens. It's a distinct smell found only on CO flights.

jetboy787 Jul 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Its prob the smell of the sodium and transfats warming up :-p

Steph3n Jul 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jetboy787 (Post 10064267)
Its prob the smell of the sodium and transfats warming up :-p

In my best FCOTSTY voice:

it is the cheese.