CO leaving Sky Team implications ?

Old Jul 18, 08, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, Flying Blue, Euro Bonus
CO leaving Sky Team implications ?

Is there anyone who have any in depth information of what the implications of accrued mileage will be when Continental is leaving the Sky Team to join the Star Alliance and United Airlines instead

What does that mean in regards to the status already gained with Continental and partners of the Sky Team now when they are changing to join Star Alliance/United Airlines ?

I am not a very fond customer of the Star Alliance Team I must admit and think this change is real shame
Must better carrier with the Sky Team
Old Jul 18, 08, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
The best in-depth factual information comes directly from Continental Airlines:

https://www.continental.com/web/en-U.../alliance.aspx

Anything else is conjecture and speculation.
Old Jul 18, 08, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
and we never engage in pure conjecture here on FT.com right?
Old Jul 19, 08, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
and we never engage in pure conjecture here on FT.com right?
We certainly do, and I think it's quite valuable to do so in many instances. Here, though, I think the OP wants a concise answering of various issues relating to CO's transition to Star, and is best served by looking at the CO website itself for the most authoritative info.
Old Jul 19, 08, 7:02 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Personally.....

This has a serious implication on ME!

I will now go from top elite status in TWO alliances to...ONE!
Old Jul 19, 08, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Veronique1 View Post
Is there anyone who have any in depth information of what the implications of accrued mileage will be when Continental is leaving the Sky Team to join the Star Alliance and United Airlines instead

What does that mean in regards to the status already gained with Continental and partners of the Sky Team now when they are changing to join Star Alliance/United Airlines ?
Your accrued mileage will remain in any and all programs in which it exists. There will be no merging of accounts or transferring of miles. At some point next year (or early 2010) there will be a point in time where you will start to earn miles on flights with *A partners and there will be a point in time where you stop earning points with ST partners. Those may be the same date or they may differ. At some point your status as a SkyTeam elite/elite plus will convert to Star Silver/Star Gold. That point will likely correlate with the changing of the point earning, but again no guarantees.
Old Jul 19, 08, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-18
loss of partner upgrade

I think the main concern is that it's possible we might not receive elite upgrade on partner flight like what we received from NW.. As UA upgrade is not unlimited, CO is likely going to change the policyto somewhat mimic UA program somewhere or limit them to co only.

Jiburi
Old Jul 21, 08, 8:13 am

For some of us the issue will be the potential loss of lounge access, or inconvenient lounge access (such as ones in different terminals).

One example is MSY, where the only lounge in the terminal is Delta's. Another would be AMS, which is dominated by KLM. Currently its convenient to access the Crown Room from the gate that CO uses. Theres an LH lounge in Terminal 1 but I'm not sure how easily accessible it is if I'm flying on CO metal.

I will like the addition of LH and Singapore, however.

Btw theres a thread stickied at the top that talks about the entry into *A. You might want to read that...
Old Jul 22, 08, 3:04 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by CJ1120 View Post
For some of us the issue will be the potential loss of lounge access, or inconvenient lounge access (such as ones in different terminals).

One example is MSY, where the only lounge in the terminal is Delta's. Another would be AMS, which is dominated by KLM. Currently its convenient to access the Crown Room from the gate that CO uses. Theres an LH lounge in Terminal 1 but I'm not sure how easily accessible it is if I'm flying on CO metal.
I hadn't thought about the MSY situation. I love being able to walk out of the CRC to my CO flight which is directly across the concourse.

Search this Thread