Wiki Posts
Search

Companion upgrade and EUA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat
Companion upgrade and EUA

Does the three hour EUA skip over companion upgrades? Think it does, as recently because of connections, placed wife (gold) on list as plat companion and she was number one according to pda. Shortly thereafter, when in flight, 3 hour EUA ran and she was skipped over. Initials below were upgraded. Figured that EUA skips over companion upgrades. So are you better off just staying with gold instead of plat companion?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:33 pm
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
I was under the impression that companion upgrades started at the 2 hr mark. That might explain why (though not the PDA site).

CLG
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
The companion may only be confirmed on the day of departure at the airport within two (2) hours of the flight.
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../upgrades.aspx

So the OP's question is moot, BUT what the heck was the companion doing as #1 on the upgrade list > 3 hours out if there were in fact higher-level elites (Plats and/or Golds who paid higher fares, as evidenced by the fact that they were upgraded) on the list?

I guess it's possible that the companion was mistakenly put on the list by an agent and therefore popped up to #1 on the upgrade standby list, but then the 3-hour EUA ran according to the rules.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bonehead
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../upgrades.aspx

So the OP's question is moot, BUT what the heck was the companion doing as #1 on the upgrade list > 3 hours out if there were in fact higher-level elites (Plats and/or Golds who paid higher fares, as evidenced by the fact that they were upgraded) on the list?

I guess it's possible that the companion was mistakenly put on the list by an agent and therefore popped up to #1 on the upgrade standby list, but then the 3-hour EUA ran according to the rules.
The list is for at the gate upgrades. If all the others were golds she'd be at the top as a plat companion. The 24- and 3-hour EUA lists will not necessarily process in the same order as the pda site shows specifically because the companion bit can change the order around.

My guess is that the other upgrades were golds on higher fares. They would be below her on the PDA list (she'd be post-platinum and pre-gold) but above her on the EUA list.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat
Placed on the list at origin (more than 3 hours out from connecting flight). Flying during two hour window. When arrived at connection, realized that upgrade for the next flight didn't happen. Guess mistake at origin (more than two hours out from connecting flight). Will just stay with gold next time.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
The list is for at the gate upgrades....
Ahhh yes, an important distinction. Danke...

So, are companions supposed to get on the list > 2 hours out on a connecting flight?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by benjy
Placed on the list at origin (more than 3 hours out from connecting flight). Flying during two hour window. When arrived at connection, realized that upgrade for the next flight didn't happen. Guess mistake at origin (more than two hours out from connecting flight). Will just stay with gold next time.
You should always put her on as a Plat Companion when possible. EUA is a seperate program from the airport standby list. It would see that she is a GE and give her an upgrade if she was entitled to it even if she was on the SB list as a PC. In this case I would hazard a guess that the EUA's went to higher fare GEs
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

never mind...I read "It" as "I".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.