First time upgrades: And how good they were

Old Jul 17, 08, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Silver
First time upgrades: And how good they were

Hi,

Since hitting Silver Elite last Fall, I finally got my First Class upgrades. First one was for my my SFO-IAH leg of my trip back to Boston on Tuesday morning. My second round will be tomorrow on both legs of my flight back to SFO from BOS via IAH. And it is usually this last day that I could use the extra comfort. I'm so glad to finally be getting my upgrades to FC. Of course, I'm sure it helps that my departure at 0535 tomorrow morning was a help in me garnering a coveted FC upgrade from Economy.

Here's hoping for more FC upgrades in the future.

Eric
Old Jul 17, 08, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Good for you. My parents are Golds flying IAH-BOS on an "I" fare this afternoon and they're #13/14 on the waitlist that's 25 long. For 2 remaining FC seats. [So far, they sold 9 and upgraded 5.]
Old Jul 17, 08, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
My first upgrade was acutally before I was elite and really made me want to fly and get elite status. It is actually a good story and CO related...

I was heading out on a work trip to GUM. Routing was LAS-LAX (UA) then CO LAX-HNL-GUM. Becuase of the military excercise in GUM the HNL-GUM flight was over by about 8. Their offer was C from HNL-NGO with a 3 hour layover then F NGO-GUM.

I had never been on a flight in int'l C (or F for that matter) and it was like I was in heaven. Picture a 23 year old kid out of college on his first real job. I did it with one other coworker and I think on the 7h30m flight to NGO I must have drank 21 bombay saffires. I was plastered. I made the mistake about 5 hours into the flight (and about 8 g/t's in) that they didn't seem strong enough. The Purser (or whatever CO calls the lead FA) started pouring doubles for me. I think I posted this thread about it from back then.

The Purser also knew it was my first time in C becuase I told him. I had no idea how to operate the seat or the tray table. I kept appologizing to him for not knowing how anything worked - but he took care of me and told me not to appologize.

It was after that C expereince (in CO BF - my only time flying it). I actually got NWA SE on that total trip (I think it was like 17000 actual miles when I routed GUM-HNL-IAH-LAS on the way back (due to misconnection), but I was on an H/Y/C fare classes so it got me like 27K NWA EQMs). I had no idea what SE meant, but I booked a trip 3 weeks later on NWA to CMH for a OSU football game and it becuase clear that I liked what I saw .
Old Jul 17, 08, 1:51 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
My first upgrade was acutally before I was elite and really made me want to fly and get elite status. It is actually a good story and CO related...

I was heading out on a work trip to GUM. Routing was LAS-LAX (UA) then CO LAX-HNL-GUM. Becuase of the military excercise in GUM the HNL-GUM flight was over by about 8. Their offer was C from HNL-NGO with a 3 hour layover then F NGO-GUM.

I had never been on a flight in int'l C (or F for that matter) and it was like I was in heaven. Picture a 23 year old kid out of college on his first real job. I did it with one other coworker and I think on the 7h30m flight to NGO I must have drank 21 bombay saffires. I was plastered. I made the mistake about 5 hours into the flight (and about 8 g/t's in) that they didn't seem strong enough. The Purser (or whatever CO calls the lead FA) started pouring doubles for me. I think I posted this thread about it from back then.

The Purser also knew it was my first time in C becuase I told him. I had no idea how to operate the seat or the tray table. I kept appologizing to him for not knowing how anything worked - but he took care of me and told me not to appologize.

It was after that C expereince (in CO BF - my only time flying it). I actually got NWA SE on that total trip (I think it was like 17000 actual miles when I routed GUM-HNL-IAH-LAS on the way back (due to misconnection), but I was on an H/Y/C fare classes so it got me like 27K NWA EQMs). I had no idea what SE meant, but I booked a trip 3 weeks later on NWA to CMH for a OSU football game and it becuase clear that I liked what I saw .
OSU = Oregan, Ohio, or Oklahoma Univerisities?????
Old Jul 17, 08, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Scott6067 View Post
OSU = Oregan, Ohio, or Oklahoma Univerisities?????
None of the above. OSU is Ohio State University ... But I said CMH so the best guess is the one in Columbus
Old Aug 1, 08, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
First upgrade in a while

I had a truly great experience this morning. I have Silver status and usually fly direct out of Newark, and I hadn't had an upgrade this year yet. I have become accustomed to trying hard as I can to get the exit row aisle seat so I get at least leg room if not elbow room. pda.continental.com showed me as number three on the upgrade list with 14/16 checked in. Figuring little chance for an upgrade, I boarded, settled in, relaxed, stretched my legs and opened a book as the flight continued to board.

To me the best kind of upgrade is when you don't expect it.

The flight boarding got a bit more hectic as the flight attendants shuffled a half dozen or more people to accommodate a family group with children. I looked up toward the front and thought I saw a complete set of first class heads, so I buried my head in the book again. I saw a flight attendant looking around in my vicinity but didn't notice her really until she called my name and asked me to move to the front at a window seat.

That was the best flying breakfast ever. Mushroom omelet, broccoli polenta (I think - it was tasty), sausage, ham, fruit, yogurt, cinnamon bun -- tollhouse cookie shortly afterwards. The service was very solicitous, and I never had time to think to order another drink before an FA was asking if I needed anything.

About to get on the next flight (no upgrade ) but I am aiming for gold this year and look forward to more.

pc
Old Aug 1, 08, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
[QUOTE=trekwars2000;10051019] OSU is Ohio State University .QUOTE]

THE Ohio State University
Old Aug 2, 08, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Silver
Hoping for Gold in 2009

Originally Posted by pricklycomedian View Post
I had a truly great experience this morning. I have Silver status and usually fly direct out of Newark, and I hadn't had an upgrade this year yet. I have become accustomed to trying hard as I can to get the exit row aisle seat so I get at least leg room if not elbow room. pda.continental.com showed me as number three on the upgrade list with 14/16 checked in. Figuring little chance for an upgrade, I boarded, settled in, relaxed, stretched my legs and opened a book as the flight continued to board.

To me the best kind of upgrade is when you don't expect it.

The flight boarding got a bit more hectic as the flight attendants shuffled a half dozen or more people to accommodate a family group with children. I looked up toward the front and thought I saw a complete set of first class heads, so I buried my head in the book again. I saw a flight attendant looking around in my vicinity but didn't notice her really until she called my name and asked me to move to the front at a window seat.

That was the best flying breakfast ever. Mushroom omelet, broccoli polenta (I think - it was tasty), sausage, ham, fruit, yogurt, cinnamon bun -- tollhouse cookie shortly afterwards. The service was very solicitous, and I never had time to think to order another drink before an FA was asking if I needed anything.

About to get on the next flight (no upgrade ) but I am aiming for gold this year and look forward to more.

pc
Well, I'm hoping to hit Gold next year myself. I'm planning 2-3 RT between SFO-BOS and probably 2 SFO-(TBD International locations, of which one will be London's Heathrow) and I hope that will get me to Gold. Each of my domestic RT's is work about 6k miles and each of the international RT's should get me about 12k each, so that ought to put me at just about 50k for the year, plus maybe a trip or two inside of the US to either ATL or Chicago, and I figure I'll have Gold in easily.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors to hit Gold either this year or in 2009!

Eric
Old Aug 4, 08, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Thanks, and good luck to you as well!

pc
Old Aug 4, 08, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA and HH
I remember my first flight in F. It was IAH-LAS and after that I was hooked. I really only fly about 30-35k a year of necessary travel (all on my own dime) and this year I tacked on about 24k in mileage runs at a cost to me of just over $600 a/i b/c I wasnt sure Id be able to make gold. Now Im debating if I should go for Plat as I will only be about 12k off.

Search this Thread