Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OnePass Changes Effective Aug. 17, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
I like this idea too...hotel points are not getting slaughtered like airline miles are as far as value. IMO, the solution is to have your hotel card of choice, and something like a Discover Miles card.
Depends on who you ask. If you go over to the SPG forum you'll see plenty of tirades about the devaluation of their points as hotels get upgraded to higher tiers and as redemption costs go up. I think that hotel points are still worth a bit more, but it isn't all sunshine and flowers on the other side.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
True, it's not all pretty...but hotels have more "pretty" left than airlines. However, your example of SPG is not equal to a case like Discover Miles, because Discover Miles is much like Cap One No Hassle, etc. where the mileage earned pays for the statement charge of whatever travel you purchase. The SPG people more than likely have gripes revolving around the SPG Amex. Branded card vs. not, and to my knowledge, the SPG Amex doesn't have anything akin to the HH GLON award. I could be wrong, as I'm not a Starwood aficionado.

I have an HH Amex, and I'm about as happy as one can be over the oodles of points I'm building up. I haven't a clue what they'll go toward yet, but I love knowing that they're there and that they won't get burned unless something really cool comes up for me to use them on.

Anyhoo, to bring it all back around to CO and air in general, the savvier point-getter might ending up moving in Mary's direction if airline fees and higher fares don't go away. Burn the hotel points to get free lodging, and splurge on the air to get there in style.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Very good point! This change is a not a complete match of, or validation of the changes implemented by other carriers - CO will still continue to offer totally free reward travel (except taxes/govt fees), while much of the competition will not.

I hope once implemented, CO looks into the potential for marketing this product differentiation. Obviously they can't make the same 'no fee' claim that WN does, but they can still point out that miles actually equal free travel on CO.
And it's also good from a regulatory/legal standpoint, because it's only a matter of time before either the regulators or a class-action comes after the carriers that decided to charge "fare" for "free" award tickets.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CO 1E
I disagree, to some extent. When airlines do not make rewardseats available until withing 21 days of departure, they force passengers who need to or are willing to redeem rewards to wait until a few weeks before departure to book. That forces them to pay the close-in booking fees (and feel lucky that they found reward space to begin with).
Pushing ever more redemptions into a fee-collection window that transforms even more mileage award tickets from "free tickets" into "somewhat discounted tickets") is the plan and/or the result.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Is the new $150 change fee for award travel per reservation or per ticket? I recently changed a reward flight for $35 for both of us, well, then they also refunded $26 in tax because of the changes.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
And it's also good from a regulatory/legal standpoint, because it's only a matter of time before either the regulators or a class-action comes after the carriers that decided to charge "fare" for "free" award tickets.
Exactly -- CO has shown itself to be a bit smarter than much of the competition.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO 1E
If the choice is between taking an international vacation in J using miles but waiting until a few weeks before to pick the actual flights, and not going at all or shelling out quite a bit of cash for tickets on short notice, I would imagine the vast majority of people would be willing to pay the close-in fees.

The only Pitfall might be till now since the fees were low CO didnt hold off opening up Award seats on flights that werent selling. Now that the 14 day window on fees is 21 days and the fees were increased, CO might decide to hold off opening up the seats till the 20 day window thusly making paying a fee mandatory, I hope this wont be the case

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by mwarden
I'll keep quiet until CO starts with the first-bag-checked fee (I don't even check baggage; I just think it's ridiculous).
It was asked on the earnings call whether CO would institute a first-checked-bag fee. They said they are watching to see whether consumers are smart enough to realize it is effectively a $15*2 roundtrip fare increase, since such a large % of travelers check 1 bag (ie, it is not a discriminatory surcharge for extra service if near everyone has to pay it). If there is no change in demand, then CO will have to institute the fee.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Pushing ever more redemptions into a fee-collection window that transforms even more mileage award tickets from "free tickets" into "somewhat discounted tickets") is the plan and/or the result.
Agreed.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: UA, AA
It was asked on the earnings call whether CO would institute a first-checked-bag fee. They said they are watching to see whether consumers are smart enough to realize it is effectively a $15*2 roundtrip fare increase, since such a large % of travelers check 1 bag (ie, it is not a discriminatory surcharge for extra service if near everyone has to pay it). If there is no change in demand, then CO will have to institute the fee.
A little "market education" via a full pager in the McPaper or WSJ would help here.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'd say that it just dropped exactly $200.

Seriously, though, the co-pays are a tough bullet to bite. They basically price almost every discount European BF experience the same, be it an X++, and H++ or the R sales. All of them come out to be about $1600-2500, depending on the route, plus a lot of miles on the upgrade approach. I don't think that the price is entirely unreasonable, even with the increases. Then again, I'm flying Y on my upcoming trip to/from Europe, so my opinion might not actually count as much.
If you are looking for a good BF deal, EWR-FRA is $1500 for dates in December and January, including over New Year's Eve.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
I hope they don’t start that. Can you imagine the rush to get overhead space? Especially with all the oversized carry-ons people drag on.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It is nice that CO kept an eye out for its Plats and waived a number of the fees.

As for the Golds and Silvers, its not the best thing, but it is relatively consistent with what the competition does.

And thank you Scott for giving us a head's up. It is appreciated that you posted this at 11-something at night.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:52 am

nowadays airline companies just know how to make everything expensive...
Does CO upgrade copay requires miles?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:57 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by mikew99
Just last month, I cleaned out the last 100K from my CO account for a Virgin UC reward. I ticketed within 15 days ($35 for being one day off ) and made one change ($35), for a total cost of $70 in CO nuisance fees. Those fees would total $225 ($150+75) if made under the new fee structure -- over three times as much.

I am glad that I got out of OnePass when I did! I am left with exactly 382 miles in my CO account, and given the increasing costs and hassles of discretionary travel, I likely won't be adding to that total very often.

I have enjoyed being a lowly CO Silver Elite -- it's gotten me early boarding on all flights and upgrades on a few -- but I can no longer afford status in multiple FF programs anymore. Being top-tier elite is the only way to avoid Death by Fees! It was really nice while it lasted, though.
I too have cleaned my account and now doing the same on UA and AA. I have 329 miles left on OnePass after a maximum of 900k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.