Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

When was the last time anybody saw a standard reward flight available?

When was the last time anybody saw a standard reward flight available?

Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Question When was the last time anybody saw a standard reward flight available?

Some time ago I booked a couple of FC reward tickets to attend wife's family get-together in Sept., and, of course, schedule changes screwed up everything.

Of course FC ain't available so I have the option of flying coach for the same NonePass® miles since standard rewards seem to have become extinct.

Time restrictions prevent me from transfering miles to Amtrak and taking the choo-choo.

I'm thinking the unthinkable, and considering just buying tickets on Southwest, which is about $100 cheaper then CO, and WN is adding, not reducing flights, so future schedule cuts are less likely. Wife agrees that WN provides a better travel experience then COEX Jungle Jets.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM
I see them all the time. The wife and I recently got standard FC tix to Aruba.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:07 am

Location: Bklyn, NY. ex-UA 1P, ex-US pref, ex-CO plat, ex-DL sil, ex-HH dmnd. Presently Free Agent
I got three EWR-SNA RT's in August a few weeks back, but I had to log in every morning for about a month until they showed up.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Just booked a summer ORD-TLV trip with standard availability!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Earlier this year I flew with two family members IAH-LGW in BusinessFirst on three standard award tickets.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:11 am
Suspended

booked a few Open jaw with connections on other ST partners in Europe for Standard Coach, yea BF was available too

Actually this year theres a great amount of availablity not like as yrs past
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I see many right now, and just booked a standard J reward to Asia yesterday (mostly on partners because of better scheduling and J products).
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by snake
I'm thinking the unthinkable, and considering just buying tickets on Southwest, which is about $100 cheaper then CO, and WN is adding, not reducing flights, so future schedule cuts are less likely. Wife agrees that WN provides a better travel experience then COEX Jungle Jets.
Not sure I understand why flying WN is "unthinkable," esp since WN has a superior Y product to any CO Y.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just booked a coach *cough* standard award to YYZ for Labor Day weekend, departing on the Friday afternoon before the holiday.

I could have booked F at the standard level, but didn't want to waste the extra 25K miles on a routing with two ERJs.

At least CO didn't charge me $800 in taxes, surcharges, marketing costs, air use fees, flight attendant expenses and a pilot lunch box fee like Delta would have done on the same routing.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by snake
Some time ago I booked a couple of FC reward tickets to attend wife's family get-together in Sept., and, of course, schedule changes screwed up everything.
Who's schedule changes? Your's or Continental's?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DH77024
Not sure I understand why flying WN is "unthinkable," esp since WN has a superior Y product to any CO Y.
Yes, I particularly enjoy reading about WN's complimentary inflight entertainment, their free food, and those pillows/blankets they provide.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes, I particularly enjoy reading about WN's complimentary inflight entertainment, their free food, and those pillows/blankets they provide.
Wait one second. If you think getting pillows and blankets, a 2 day old turkey sandwich and a movie are worth 100.00 more on your travel day, then you need to stop drinking the kool-aid. Seriously, are you nuts? By a book, put a movie or 2 on your Ipod, bring a inflatable pillow and put a 100.00 in your pocket a few times a year.

Don't get me wrong CO is by far the best airline out there, IMO, but 100.00 is 100.00.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:14 am

WN does have pillows/blankets.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
Wait one second. If you think getting pillows and blankets, a 2 day old turkey sandwich and a movie are worth 100.00 more on your travel day, then you need to stop drinking the kool-aid. Seriously, are you nuts? By a book, put a movie or 2 on your Ipod, bring a inflatable pillow and put a 100.00 in your pocket a few times a year.

Don't get me wrong CO is by far the best airline out there, IMO, but 100.00 is 100.00.
WN, B6 and the like are not 100 cheaper across the board. Quite often, WN prices out the same as a legacy, and sometimes even more - with a stack of stops and connections along the way.

One of the greatest marketing scams the airline industry has ever perpetuated is the notion that LCC carriers are consistently LFC - low fare carriers.

Every customer should price out their trip comparing all the available options - perhaps WN is not the cheapest, but US is. Maybe DL is cheaper. It all depends. However, to both WN and B6's credit, many silly Kettles don't even bother doing a comparison check - they just assume that Southwest or jetBlue are the cheapest option because they are - Southwest and jetBlue.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA MP
The complimentary inflight entertainment, free food, and pillows/blankets do not make up for the miserable pitch and crowded conditions in CO Y.

Don't get me wrong, I love flying CO F, but if I have to sit in the back of the bus, WN has the better flying experience, imo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.