CO bag fees

Old Jul 14, 08, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
CO bag fees

Recently, the lady friend has booked a ticket that involves a UA-UA-CO routing, one way. She has told me that she will be traveling with 2 bags on those flights. If it were either CO or UA, I know the $25 second bag fee would hit via that carrier. However, since she is transferring to CO, how would this work? Would UA charge her $50 and give half to CO? Would she not have to pay CO and that UA and CO would sort out the amount themselves?

And, yes this is a single ticket, I think booked through travelocity, since it was a one way and needed multiple carriers.
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think she will get hit for a the normal bag fee that the first carrier (when she checks the gag in) charges.
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I think she will get hit for a the normal bag fee that the first carrier (when she checks the gag in) charges.
Yeah I don't belive they are charging extra bag fees when you connect to a different carrier.....yet....
Old Jul 14, 08, 3:00 pm

Assuming that UA handles it the same since that's the carrier she'll be checking the bags onto, see co.com FAQ regarding new bag policy:

What if I am connecting onto a codeshare or SkyTeam Alliance partner?
When a customer travels on a codeshare flight or on an aircraft operated by a SkyTeam Alliance partner, then policy regarding checked bags follows the rules determined by the originating operating carrier.
And of course full discussions of this policy respectivelyon CO is here and on UA is here.
Old Jul 14, 08, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by devik View Post
Assuming that UA handles it the same since that's the carrier she'll be checking the bags onto, see co.com FAQ regarding new bag policy:

And of course full discussions of this policy respectivelyon CO is here and on UA is here.
Yeah, I have a CA (air china) to US domestic flight coming up and it seemed fairly clear that I wouldn't have to pay because rules that were very similar...they are *alliance partners...although it was a little less clear because the website for them only talked about codeshares, not about 3rd party booked tickets.

Thanks for the info...good to see what she probably won't get charged twice, but it is too bad policies aren't all that clear about odd tickets like this to begin with... (and trust me, it is an odd ticket---UA to SAT [from ORD] and then CO back into the hub at IAH)

Search this Thread