In Flight drinks-Pibb on the outs?

Old Jul 14, 08, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
In Flight drinks-Pibb on the outs?

I remember when CO served Dr.Pepper and the diet version. Then a few months ago I noticed someone ordering Mr.Pibb, now called Pibb extra. I don't drink tea or coffee so if I need a caffeine boost in the morning I always ask for the Pibb. Last week on 3 of 4 flights they were out of Pibb. When I asked for the drink while waiting to take off, the FA told me that he hadn't had Pibb onboard for awhile. I did finally get a glass on a return flight from IAH-DTW, and those FAs had no problem finding me a can.

If there are any other Pibb Extra or Mr.Pibb drinkers out there, I'm wondering how often Pibb is being served, and if anyone has heard that it is being phased out. I sure hope not, I still haven't forgiven CO for taking away my Diet Dr.Pepper!
Old Jul 14, 08, 2:25 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by thaliajen View Post
I remember when CO served Dr.Pepper and the diet version. Then a few months ago I noticed someone ordering Mr.Pibb, now called Pibb extra. I don't drink tea or coffee so if I need a caffeine boost in the morning I always ask for the Pibb. Last week on 3 of 4 flights they were out of Pibb. When I asked for the drink while waiting to take off, the FA told me that he hadn't had Pibb onboard for awhile. I did finally get a glass on a return flight from IAH-DTW, and those FAs had no problem finding me a can.

If there are any other Pibb Extra or Mr.Pibb drinkers out there, I'm wondering how often Pibb is being served, and if anyone has heard that it is being phased out. I sure hope not, I still haven't forgiven CO for taking away my Diet Dr.Pepper!
I never find Pibb on ANY of the international flights or the few domestic ones I am one and it pisses me off...

I also hate their limited selection of teas I pack my own as CO only has lipton.

And as a tea with lime and coke with lime drinker I hate that they don't stock limes on their plane except one or two.... that lasts me one drink...

I could give a rats butt about their wine selection.... how about basic tea and drinks for once, atleast on my other international legs the other carriers seem to know about atleast some variety in tea selection.

But besides that I love CO...
Old Jul 14, 08, 3:06 am

Programs: OnePass
I asked for Dr. Pepper on 6/2 EWR-DEL and they gave me a whole can of Pibb. Delicious. They said that nobody ever asks for it.
Old Jul 14, 08, 8:22 am

There has been nothing about Pibb being phased out. However, there is only one can in each soda drawer...so, it doesn't take long to run out if people know we have it. My experience has been that catering at out stations doesn't always have it to restock. I always get it when catered in hub. It's the same with Coke Zero...only one can per soda drawer and not always restocked at out stations.
Old Jul 14, 08, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CALflyboi View Post
It's the same with Coke Zero...only one can per soda drawer and not always restocked at out stations.
CO serves Coke Zero? Since when?
Old Jul 14, 08, 9:30 am

Programs: CO AA
Mr. Pibb

On every single flight I do we have the Pibb. And I lately have been getting not 2 but 3 cups of limes, I guess in preparation for the Corona Extra. I'm surprised that there would be a flight without it.
Old Jul 14, 08, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Dr. Pepper is better than Mr. Pibb because Dr. Pepper has a degree.
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
We just carrying this is the last few weeks.
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:27 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike View Post
Dr. Pepper is better than Mr. Pibb because Dr. Pepper has a degree.
hahaha, nice.

I can say that I haven't seen any shortage of Pibb on any of my flights. I just wish they'd go back to the original Pibb, this new fangled Xtra crap reminds me of someone sneaking in some Coke into the Pibb.

Though, I can attest to the small presence, generally 1-2 cans per drawer. It's obvious that it's not a very common request, i still get weird looks about 50% of the time when I request it.
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by CALflyboi View Post
We just carrying this is the last few weeks.
Sweet! I'll be sure to ask for it on my upcoming flights! Hopefully at least EWR-PEK will have it if nothing else.
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fozz View Post
I just wish they'd go back to the original Pibb, this new fangled Xtra crap reminds me of someone sneaking in some Coke into the Pibb.
The original Mr. Pibb is still available in some limited areas, but it's pretty hard to find.

I just wish they'd go back to offering Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper on CO. I know it's probably not going to happen, but I really wish they'd do it!
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Pibb Sighting

I had Pibb on a mainline flight and a CO ExpressJet flight this weekend...so there are cans out there in the network

I too wish they'd bring Dr. Pepper back (or some type of Rootbeer or rootbeer-like offering) but I suppose Pibb will do for now.
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA:1K & MM
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I started noticing a lot of internationals carrying Coke Zero. I've seen it on QR, KLM and BA (I think). It seemed odd to me that they would stock both Coke Light and Coke Zero.

FWIW
DLM
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:54 pm

There is no plan to stop carrying Pibb Extra that we have been informed about.

However, a flight leaving a hub typically has no more than 6 cans of Pibb in the main cabin, and 4 cans of Pibb in first (on the smaller planes, make that 2 cans of Pibb in first). The bar cart is only stocked with one can per side. As someone else mentioned, it is common for the first person on the plane that orders Pibb to get the entire can (this isn't my practice, but it is common), because requests for it are rare. So if a second person orders it and this has been done, that would explain why it isn't available. Or, if the F/A is pouring it like they should, and 3 people request it, that one can is only good for 3 pours. While the F/A COULD and SHOULD ask the other person working the cart for their can of Pibb, or go to the galley to get another can, this isn't always the case, depending on the attitude of the F/A in question or the length of the flight (if I'm doing a barcart on a 757-300 going from IAH to MSY or SAT, I'm not leaving the cart nor am I asking anyone else to). That's all going out of a hub....

At outstations, where many of which do not restock us, you are left with leftovers from the previous flight. F/As are responsible for restocking the beverage cart going in and out of an outstation, and unfortunately, while we have a lot of wonderful and professional crewmembers, there are still a few that are completely discourteous, lazy, and inconsiderate when it comes to the customers and their fellow crew. So that's another situation where the F/A might have thought he didn't have any.

I know it was a lot to say on such a trivial matter, just my thoughts .
Old Jul 14, 08, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by KosraeTV View Post
I never find Pibb on ANY of the international flights or the few domestic ones I am one and it pisses me off...

I also hate their limited selection of teas I pack my own as CO only has lipton.

And as a tea with lime and coke with lime drinker I hate that they don't stock limes on their plane except one or two.... that lasts me one drink...

I could give a rats butt about their wine selection.... how about basic tea and drinks for once, atleast on my other international legs the other carriers seem to know about atleast some variety in tea selection.

But besides that I love CO...
Pibb is not going anywhere

Not many cans on a flight

Often doesn't get replenished at outstations

Dr. Pepper is not a Coke product (Pibb is) so it's not coming back

We got better prices from Coke for offering Coke Zero

Diet Coke and Coke light are the same but from different countries, Coke Zero different

There are plenty of limes on the plane

Bring your own tea since you know what you like. I do

KosraeTV, you're gonna pop a blood vessel

Search this Thread