Love This Airline!

Old Jul 13, 08, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former United Airlines Mileage Plus One Hundred Thousand Mile 1K Flyer, former a lot of stuff
Love This Airline!

I am really trying to make the switch from UA. I got a comp to PLT in January, and have had really pleasant experiences with my CO flights thus far. 7 of 8 upgrades have cleared, including all flights between SFO and IAH, and the onboard product is markedly better than UA. The crews are great, the pilots greet the pax during boarding, the ground staff are friendly...it's been a very good time.
Hoping I can get another 50KEQM by years' end!
Old Jul 13, 08, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
^ CO has been really good this year and the upgrades are coming to me quite easily these past few months. I got a 5-day EUA for a Mon. morning flight to BOS the other day.^
Old Jul 13, 08, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by flyinryan View Post
The crews are great, the pilots greet the pax during boarding, the ground staff are friendly
CO employees are generally very very good. It's a rare day when you see the surliness that's become the norm at other airlines!
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:04 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
also going to agree. for the most part, to me, it's

CO and SWA

Everyone else
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:21 am

Seriously, Continental is in a class by itself. It is truly the best airline in the United States, and one of the best on the planet.
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:59 am

Programs: Continental One Pass, Northwest World Perks,
I will agree - I am not the most frequent flier, one or two international trips per year and one or two domestic as well - but Continental remains a class act in my opinion.
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:30 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
^ CO is the best..thats the reason I go out of my way to fly CO out of PHL and even go to EWR whenever [email protected]:-)
Old Jul 14, 08, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER View Post
^ CO is the best..thats the reason I go out of my way to fly CO out of PHL and even go to EWR whenever [email protected]:-)
Now that's loyalty. Going out of your way to fly from EWR deserves a zpecial commendation from CO!
Old Jul 14, 08, 11:22 am

Programs: None Pass
I think I hear the footsteps of PBarnette....
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:06 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by charger92 View Post
I think I hear the footsteps of PBarnette....
The points he raises are valid. That said at times I think there's too much imposition of unique European market conditions onto the ones in the states and not enough weight credited to what CO's done - while still being aware of it's various shortcomings - but that's just my (uneducated) take on the situation. Plus everyone's entitled to an opinion. <shrug>

flyinryan -- I'm glad your experience with CO's been a good one ^. As a former UA flyer can you comment as to what particular aspects you prefer on CO (hard product, soft product, routes, times, cost, lounges, staff, etc.) as well as how CO's treated you in an IRROPs situation (if any)?

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 14, 08 at 12:48 pm
Old Jul 14, 08, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I cannot belive that through nine replies (ten now), no one has bashed the OP for being a shameles CO cheerleader.
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:27 pm

Programs: Continential Platinum, WPerks Platinum,Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum , Avis Chairman's Circle
Originally Posted by CO 1E View Post
I cannot belive that through nine replies (ten now), no one has bashed the OP for being a shameles CO cheerleader.
Count me for being a CO cheerleader....

CO is the classiest airline ever.... The only surliness I get (rarely) is tired FAs who had a bad day....
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former United Airlines Mileage Plus One Hundred Thousand Mile 1K Flyer, former a lot of stuff
Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
flyinryan -- I'm glad your experience with CO's been a good one ^. As a former UA flyer can you comment as to what particular aspects you prefer on CO (hard product, soft product, routes, times, cost, lounges, staff, etc.) as well as how CO's treated you in an IRROPs situation (if any)?
The domestic F hard and soft products are far superior to United, IMO. The CO seats (as you all know) are leather, more comfortable, and the service is just flat out better. I enjoy flying on the newer 737-7/8/900 aircraft, the cabins are clean and neat, nothing is falling apart...etc. United has aging seats, planes, cabins, lousier food, tiny drink glasses and spotty service. If you fly a UA A319 or 320, with 8 or 12 seats in the front, sometimes it is tough even for a 1K to upgrade. The CO 737 fleet has a generous amount of seats in F, which is really fantastic.

I've flown CO mid-cons on Y and H fares, and upgraded with no problem, and just did a V-fare SFO-IAH-TPA roundtrip and upgraded all but IAH-TPA. Have also credited some DL and AS flights to CO, so I am sitting on a paltry 20,000 EQM and hoping I can get the hell off United and direct another 55K to CO before the year is out. I am at the mercy of AMEX corp travel for my bookings, so I only have so much input as to which airline I fly. (Although AMEX does seem to like NW, so that might help in the future.)

No IRROPS yet.

Anyway, yes, CO has been a great experience so far, and it's opened my eyes to how crummy United really is.
Old Jul 14, 08, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75, UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Platinum
me too

I made the switch last year. Got a status match to platinum and finished the year with 80k EQM. It's one of the best travel decisions I've made. Even though PDX is a bit of an outpost on CO, the connection to AS means I get EQMs wherever I travel.
Old Jul 14, 08, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, please, everybody, stay away. CO is terrible.

I want my upgrades.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: