Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Our records show that you experienced an inconvenience while traveling on Continental

Our records show that you experienced an inconvenience while traveling on Continental

Old Jul 13, 08, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: *

I have recieved such emails a few times from CO apologizing for flight delays etc`and thought it a good touch.

I was puzzled today though as yesterday I took a flight with my wife which was delayed and we both recieved these emails this morning. Surprising though was that my wifes email offered her 500 onepass miles while mine did not. All other occasions too that i recieved apology emails I have not been offered miles. We both travelled on the same (R) fare.

Why the difference? What determines if CO offers miles for flight delays? My wife is silver elite and I am platinum elite - do they feel higher elite classes do not need any more miles?
Old Jul 13, 08, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond; UA Premier Silver
When I was Plat in 6/07, CO sent me an email with no OP miles when my baggage was delayed 8 hours.

As a Gold last month, my family and I were delayed by a mechanical for about an hour. They sent me an email with 500 OP miles and my none-elite family go nothing.
Old Jul 13, 08, 12:08 pm

I've received several of those e-mails in the last few years for baggage or schedule issues .... never been offered miles.

Old Jul 14, 08, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *
Originally Posted by perezoso View Post
I've received several of those e-mails in the last few years for baggage or schedule issues .... never been offered miles.

That has been my experience too. Maybe they feel platinums are already committed to CO but gold/silver are more likely to feel disappointed and go elsewhere so need the inducement.
Old Jul 15, 08, 10:29 am

Programs: United, HHonors Diamond, SPG, AvisFirst
Nothing here either as a gold or silver. Can't remember ever getting any free miles. Granted, most of the delays are from my originating location at EWR so I guess it is expected .

On the other hand, I was delayed in Madison, WI last month for 6 hours and they gave us $12.00 for food.
Old Jul 15, 08, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I've received these emails on a number of occasions, and I recall printed letters with similar content in the days of yore.

As a long-time Platinum, I've never received OP miles in conjunction with these emails or letters, so I'm surprised that this is an occasional benefit. Now, I am aware of compensation kits handed out at airports and from customer service, but have never seen an automatic compensation. I'm surprised if indeed they "discriminate" in favor of lower status members at the expense of higher status members. I'd suspect something else is going on here; maybe these were both on the same PNR with the Silver wife as the primary record, etc.?

Interestingly, CO's future partner UA discriminates the other way; their Skykits (and on-line equivalents) generally result in higher compensation for higher-status elites, and proportionally less for lower status levels and non-status members ...
Old Jul 15, 08, 11:42 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
A few years back I was in BF NRT IAH and we had a weather division to Austin to fill up.

A week later I received a letter from the concierge apologizing and credited me with 5,000 miles.

It was nice deal since I never once thought it was COs fault.

I have not received anything since (letter, email, handshake) on the rest of my delays, cancelations, or multiple lost / damaged bags.
Old Jul 15, 08, 2:36 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
I was delayed last Wednesday on Flight 40 IAH-EWR-FCO, for a nearly 3 hour mechanical delay at Newark. We recieved "care kits" that included a drink coupon, mail in complaint form, and 10% off a future ticket coupon.
No email from CO though, ever!

Ciao,
FH
Old Jul 15, 08, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
I was delayed last Wednesday on Flight 40 IAH-EWR-FCO, for a nearly 3 hour mechanical delay at Newark. We recieved "care kits" that included a drink coupon, mail in complaint form, and 10% off a future ticket coupon.
No email from CO though, ever!

Ciao,
FH

EDIT: I am NOT an elite of any level (I just miss the 25k every year).

I had a similar situation happen to me, Mccarrin to Newark, 5+ hour mechanical delay.

We got care kits, a 12 dollar meal voucher for use in the airport, and they set up a snack stand (cookies/crackers/chips) and free soda to eat and drink while we waited.

I also just got this email yesterday:

Thank you again for taking time to let us know about your recent experience with Continental Airlines.

An Electronic Travel Certificate has been issued to FIRSTNAME LASTNAME (OnePass XXXXXXXXX) valid towards the purchase of one electronic airline ticket, where eligible, on Continental up to $125.00.

Redemption information - Total Value: $125.00 Promotion Code: XXXXXX PIN Code: XXXXXX Issued Date: 7/14/2008 Expiration Date: 7/14/2009 Original Ticket Number: 00xxxxxxxxxxxx
This was about 2 weeks after I had flown the delayed flight.

I think its fair to note, that in the care kit, were comment cards. I filled it out and gave it to the gate attendant immediately that day. Maybe thats what triggered me getting a 125dollar credit for a future flight?
Old Jul 15, 08, 6:17 pm

Programs: CO Platinum; Delta Gold; Marriott Platinum; Avis First
This year alone, I have been delayed flying into ORD 8 times. The delays have varied from 45 minutes to 3 hours. And still, no emails… Maybe one day… LOL
Old Jul 15, 08, 8:17 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
The $125 must be a new amount of solvency as I received the same after complaining about a delay due to aircraft not being scheduled to arrive till an hour after we were to leave on that aircraft. Got an email within days saying an ETC was coming and it came within the week.
Old Jul 15, 08, 8:28 pm

I think the baggage people sent real paper letters until fairly recently, IIRC.

To be honest, I haven't had any *major* problems with CO for several years, and the incidents that triggered an e-mail were pretty minor (short flight delay, bag in on next flight, etc). I'm not offended at not being offered anything for the level of incident I've experienced.

The way I see it, rather than getting basically trivial compensation for minor system burps, the biggest thing for me is that Continental continue to make it possible for a person who flies a lot but does not buy top dollar tickets to access top level benefits. I do non-profit work - and no non-profit in its right mind, except maybe the richest and the government-funded, buys business class tickets with your tax-deductible donations... (and you should scream if they do).
Old Jul 15, 08, 10:26 pm

Programs: CO Platinum; Delta Gold; Marriott Platinum; Avis First
Originally Posted by perezoso View Post
I think the baggage people sent real paper letters until fairly recently, IIRC.

To be honest, I haven't had any *major* problems with CO for several years, and the incidents that triggered an e-mail were pretty minor (short flight delay, bag in on next flight, etc). I'm not offended at not being offered anything for the level of incident I've experienced.

The way I see it, rather than getting basically trivial compensation for minor system burps, the biggest thing for me is that Continental continue to make it possible for a person who flies a lot but does not buy top dollar tickets to access top level benefits. I do non-profit work - and no non-profit in its right mind, except maybe the richest and the government-funded, buys business class tickets with your tax-deductible donations... (and you should scream if they do).
You make some really good points...
Old Jul 15, 08, 10:31 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I got a WHOLE 500 onepass points for a 2+hour mechanical 2 weeks ago.

They did more harm, INSULTING me with 500 pts for over 2 hours of my TIME!

CO....you can keep your points.
Old Jul 16, 08, 7:32 am

Would you have preferred it if they sent someone over to poke you with a sharp stick instead???

Search this Thread