What happens if Northwest & Delta merger fails?

Old Jul 12, 08, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Onepass Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Worldperks, AAdvantage
What happens if Northwest & Delta merger fails?

I know that the merger is likely to be approved for Northwest and Delta. However, I was curious what would happen to Continental if it failed. Is Continental committed to the Star Alliance now? Is there no turning back? I really enjoy the transatlantic options with SkyTeam and I am wondering of there is any chance of Continental staying.
Old Jul 12, 08, 9:43 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Lifetime United Club stolen by Oscar “The Grouch” Munoz on 11.11.19
No one really knows. As always, it is best to either a)live near a major airport (i.e. AMS, LHR, ORL, ZRH, SFO, JFK, BOS, DFW, DTW, etc.) or b) be a VIP (i.e. 50k+) member of whomever is the local hub. If you live in c) a hub...get a real job.
Old Jul 12, 08, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
The merger is still subject to labor, shareholder, government and legislative approval - any one of those groups could scuttle it. The ink is not dry yet by any stretch.

The announcement to join *A was made subject to the merger closing and CO giving its notice of intent to leave ST - if the merger doesn't close, it's likely that CO will have a tough time (and little reason to) leaving ST, and I'd bet the status quo would prevail unless CO gets some outside financial assistance to take down UA on their own.
Old Jul 12, 08, 9:55 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Another note is that CO was bound to what alliance NW was a part of - but this of course changed when NW announced their intention to merge with DL. My guess is that CO's heading to Star regardless of what NW/DL do.
Old Jul 12, 08, 11:00 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
Another note is that CO was bound to what alliance NW was a part of - but this of course changed when NW announced their intention to merge with DL. My guess is that CO's heading to Star regardless of what NW/DL do.
CO still has obligations to Skyteam which are distinct from the former NW Golden Share relationship. CO has stated repeatedly that they are only free to leave Skyteam after the NW/DL merger has been consumated. At that point, their Skyteam contract requires that they provide 9 months notice before they can actually leave. The announcement of the NW/DL intent to merge was not sufficient to release them from their Skyteam obligations (unlike the NW Golden Share).

Last edited by LBJ; Jul 12, 08 at 11:06 pm

Search this Thread