Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Purell-type sanitizer in place of soap on some planes

Old Jul 3, 08, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat

On a few CO planes recently, there's been Purell-type hand sanitizer in the lav in place of the usual soap. Am I the only one who wants to wash my hands with actual soap and water rather than using a sanitizer that says "do not use with water?" And I definitely want the FAs and other pax to use soap and water too. Sanitizer may kill 99% of bacteria, but it sure doesn't wash off bits of ickiness that might find their way onto hands.

Besides, I like the cherry-almond scent of CO soap (really, I do).
Old Jul 3, 08, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I'd noticed this on a few flights recently too. Particularly ERJ flights.

I'd rather have soap and water too. And I too quite liked the CO soap smell!

There's a time and a place for the smell of alcohol, and hand cleaner in the can isn't it!
Old Jul 3, 08, 10:01 pm

Programs: Too many!
Originally Posted by WineIsGood View Post
On a few CO planes recently, there's been Purell-type hand sanitizer in the lav in place of the usual soap. Am I the only one who wants to wash my hands with actual soap and water rather than using a sanitizer that says "do not use with water?" And I definitely want the FAs and other pax to use soap and water too. Sanitizer may kill 99% of bacteria, but it sure doesn't wash off bits of ickiness that might find their way onto hands.

No word on the change, but I love that smell, too!
Old Jul 3, 08, 10:42 pm

I wonder if this is a weight saving measure. Using this type of product means less water is loaded = less weight = less fuel used.
Old Jul 3, 08, 11:22 pm

Programs: TK *Gold; WN A-list; NEXUS; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by hangpilot View Post
I'd noticed this on a few flights recently too. Particularly ERJ flights.
This might be a good thing on the ERJ..... as it seems like the water in the bathrooms on the ERJ seems to not work more than one sees on the Boeing planes.
Old Jul 4, 08, 12:10 am

This is most common on the 737-300/500 series aircraft. On these aircraft, due to cost-saving measures, water pressure isn't available on the ground due to the pilots receiving instructions to keep the APU off (this is also why it's so hot now when you get on a plane... if enough of you write the company letters, maybe this will change. We hate this just as much as you do!!!), so these are in place to allow you, the customer, to wash your hands after using the restroom on the ground.
Old Jul 4, 08, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I really like the purell like hand sanitizer, it makes your hands cleaner than the soap in reality.
Old Jul 4, 08, 12:55 am

Programs: CO MM/Pt, SPG Pt, Marriott Au, others not worth mentioning
Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter View Post
This is most common on the 737-300/500 series aircraft. On these aircraft, due to cost-saving measures, water pressure isn't available on the ground due to the pilots receiving instructions to keep the APU off (this is also why it's so hot now when you get on a plane... if enough of you write the company letters, maybe this will change. We hate this just as much as you do!!!), so these are in place to allow you, the customer, to wash your hands after using the restroom on the ground.
I thought this was the case. This is shades of the "bad old days", and I'd love to know who to complain to besides Scott. I also believe that they are running the A/C less in-flight on some of my recent rides, but that's a different thread.
Old Jul 4, 08, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
I really like the purell like hand sanitizer, it makes your hands cleaner than the soap in reality.
Not to get off topic but the way Purell works is that it kills all microorganisms on the skin's surface, even the good ones. There are studies out there that suggest we are increasing the likelihood of "superbugs" by using Purell or any other type of hand sanitizer.
Old Jul 4, 08, 9:35 am

Programs: Spoiled by Skywards
Not a fan of the hand sanitizer creeping onto CO's mainline aircraft. Most hospitals have the rule for employees of only being allowed to use the sanitizer three times before having to wash hands with soap and water. CO's use of sanitizer doesn't allow for this.

I'm kind of caught in the middle of this. Where I'd like to see full soap and water, yet since it takes 2-3 minutes to properly wash one's hands on an aircraft I notice the majority of the time that's not happening. So a quick dab of hand sanitizer, especially for FA's in food preparation may be better than what they're currently doing.
Old Jul 4, 08, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I think they put hand sanitizer on an RJ because the sink is always out of order.
Old Jul 4, 08, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by cova View Post
I think they put hand sanitizer on an RJ because the sink is always out of order.
Could be that, or it could be to defend against the "unwashed masses" we keep hearing about.
Old Jul 4, 08, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by WineIsGood View Post
THATS what that scent is?!
Old Jul 4, 08, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by CO_1mm View Post
I also believe that they are running the A/C less in-flight on some of my recent rides, but that's a different thread.
This time of year, you can get more folks in shorts and t shirts. We tend to get more complaints during this time about the cabin being cold, so perhaps that is why the cabin seems warm. OR, it is warmer in the lower altitudes making it more difficult for the cabin to cool down altogether.

Does anyone know if running the a/c less during the flight saves money? Interesting idea.
Old Jul 4, 08, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
deleted with answer moved to page 2

Last edited by ConciergeMike; Jul 6, 08 at 10:49 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: